DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. pdxthmper

pdxthmper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    does anyone have a side view picture of the front fender Jesse is selling? would you please post.
  2. mwilliamshs

mwilliamshs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think there's still an entire bike in the FM for like $4-600...don't remember the details...
  3. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    thanks but it has NO title
  4. trippda

trippda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ooooo Just bought Jesse's rear turn singles. After breaking the stock ones i bought some cheapo LED chinese ones from the lamp district of HongKong and broke all 4 within 1 year:rofl. I am stoked on those flush mount turn signals and will post pics when I mount them.

I love how his add says "Never kick one off again!":clap
  5. pdxthmper

pdxthmper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    THanks!
  6. Frankdozer

Frankdozer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm really jealous of you guys down south with your nice green lawns. Here in central Maine we are in the start of a 12-14 inch snow storm. The 3rd weekend storm in 3 weekends....................Frank
  7. rallyman1978

rallyman1978 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a fitting guide/photos step by step of fitting an acerbis tank? Bought one used with no fitting kit and we've got it on but it's flapping around at the front. So much that have had to wrap a lanyard round the fuel filler and down round the frame to hold it steady

Thanks in advance

Rich
  8. markk900

markk900 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny, Acerbis has been making these tanks for years but continues to neglect to post the installation instructions online.

If its flopping around at front are you sure you have the two rubber donuts with standoffs in the right place? The standoffs screw on the end of the upper frame mount bolts (the exposed thread portion), and then the donuts go on the ends of the standoffs. These are what hold the front of the tank so its possible yours are missing, loose, or not aligned with the slots in the tank.
  9. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Here is some info from earlier posts:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19588084&postcount=13065
  10. WMURider

WMURider n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I havent posted yet so i Decided to show you all my first bike, a 97 DR350 I picked up this fall. It has 4000 mi on the odometer and I got it for $960.

FlyingWman came with me to pick it up since at the time I knew next to nothing about motorcycles, and I had no truck to bring it home with.

Here she is all loaded up.
    [​IMG]

Another shot after a ride this fall before putting it away.
    [​IMG]

And here is a shot of it yesterday after replacing the rear and front tires and cleaning up the tail end. Ignore the crappy pic and flyingWmans DR in the background please.

[​IMG]
  11. DisTech

DisTech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  12. rallyman1978

rallyman1978 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gentleman you are true diamonds - that is exactly the help I needed.

Markk900, 2bold2getold and distech many many thanks!

So parts 2, 3 and 4 are what I need from that acerbis microfiche. Needle in a haystack????

Looks like we'll be making stuff

Rich :1drink
  13. Frankdozer

Frankdozer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HI WMURIDER, Can I ask what brand and size tires did you put on...... and what made you choose them..............Thanks, Frank
  14. WMURider

WMURider n00b

Oddometer:
    Frank,

They are dunlop D755's and I believe they are the stock size, The reason I put them on is they were thrown in with the bike when I bought it from the previous owner, and the tires that were on it before were shot.
  15. pdegroote

pdegroote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 98 dr 350 a few days ago. The previous owner told me he had starting problems, and the carb needed cleaning. At home, I tried to start the engine, but it produced a lot of white smoke, smelling like oil being burnt. i
    I switched off the engine immediately. I then removed the carb. I noticed the overflow tube, that should be hanging downwards was tied to the frame in an upward position. (No overflow possible..) I also noticed the presence of a watery, but slightly oily fluid in the connection between carb and airbox. I drained it. I then drained the carter removing what assumed to be old oil... When removing the drain plug, I ran into the same liquid I found in the airbox...
    The gas tank was about 1/3 full.

I contacted the owner, asking about any details on the problems, and how much fuel he thought was in the gas tank... He answered that he recently filled up (full tank) and didn't drive more than a few miles...
    I asked if he had ever left the petcock in the open position.. He answered that he always left it "open".:eek1

I assume the following has happened: the float was stuck. The petcock open and the tank full. The overflow drain was disabled, as the tube was connected to high into the chassis. The result is that a lot of fuel has drained from the tank, through the carb, airbox and carter vent into the carter. The fluid level in the carter now being very high, every time one tries to start, excess fluid is pushed through the carter vent, into airbox, into carb... The oil/fuel mix made for the white smoke and smell.

After the oil change, the engine starts and runs.

Question:
    Does anyone suspect any major damage internally? My next check will be the camshaft and valves for excessive wear and clearance.
    Is the scenario I described possible? Anyone has a better explanation?
    What, besides cam and valves needs to be checked, knowing that most likely the engine has run no more than a total of a few minutes on the oil/fuel mixture, at idle speed...

Rgds
    Patrick
  16. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    You could have damaged any or all of the bearings in the engine, since the fuel can thin out the oil to the point of uselessness. But if it was only run a very short time at idle, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Personally, I probably wouldn't even go to the trouble of checking the cam and valves, I'd just listen for any unusual noises after changing the oil and fixing the carb. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to inspect the top end. I'm not sure it's worth tearing the whole engine apart to check everything.
  17. pdegroote

pdegroote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Judging by the viscosity of what came out of the drain, I'd consider it far beyond the point of uselessness...I didn't hear any suspect noises when running the engine.

Btw: to check the oil level, does one have to screw in the plug all the way? Or just insert and remove to check?
  18. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Patrick,

Yes, what you describe seems possible. Major internal damage? I don't know. Hopefully not. With the fresh oil in it, run it until it get's hot and then change the oil again (a second oil change to get any residual fuel out).

Then, I would ride it like I stole it and see what happens. If it doesn't blow up or start making crazy sounds, then I'd never worry about it again. If it did suffer major internal damage, then I don't think you are going to spend any more money riding it now, anyway.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  19. WMURider

WMURider n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It was the perfect deal.
  20. markk900

markk900 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No - hold bike upright, just put dipstick back in without screwing it down.

Also, you are lucky previous owner couldn't get it to run. It probably saved the motor from being operated with dangerously thinned out oil. I agree with Greg - run it a bit as is, change oil once more, and just enjoy it.