Oz/ Kiwi Ktm 690 Riders Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by rosscoact, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Sol Erzenberg

Sol Erzenberg Lost somewhere

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan..:ricky
    Riding a 950 / 990 through tight s/track would be difficult..:huh
    I've never had any Con.
    I have an after market muffler (Wings) & the Akro mapping kit to suit & no problems with the FI system at all..:thumb
  2. Chris 690R

Chris 690R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Minusone,

I just got a 690 a week ago
    and thought I was the only one on the n beachs that had one! Stepping of a 300 exc I am loving this bike so far. Do you do any dirt stuff around the beaches or can you recommend any good stuff for the 690?

Chris
  3. minusone

minusone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day ride on Sunday if you are interested.
    A Loop through Yengo with the Central Coast guys.
    Will be early start and a full day.
  4. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    Riding a 950 in Colorado USA up around 11,000 feet elevation:
    [​IMG]

and a trail pass at just under 13000 feet elevation:
    [​IMG]

Should not have posted photos...now I really miss that bike
  5. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    Nice url lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  6. LC4nicator

LC4nicator Certified Wino

Oddometer:
    Well....I went for a test ride on a 690 at a local dealership here in SA.
    It's a 2009 model with low k's
    Condition was not up to my standard for a bike of that mileage however I was advised it pretty much never saw bitumen and only minimal dirt road so a little understandable.
    Nevertheless, not to hard to tidy it up a bit if the deal was going down.

Jumping off my 640ADV and onto this, the first observation was how well the ergos felt.
    The lack of bulk up front was also something which plays with the mind here and you question whether this bike is a capable cruiser for distance.
    Wind buffeting also reinforced this but once she opened up all that was quickly put aside.
    This is a sweet engine.
    The similarity between this bike and my 525 EXC was astounding.
    Without doing the maths, I'd say it's definitely similar in power to weight ratio.
    The F.I. really gave this engine tractability throughout the rev range.
    Going to wide open in 6th gear from a low speed didn't produce any coughing/spluttering/bucking...just a smooth application of torque all taken it it's stride.
    Up to around 90 km/hr lack of vibration was quite evident but once you hit three figures the was a buzz felt through the grips.....much more than my 640....but nothing that a decent set of foam rally grips or a set of Fasst Flex bars wouldn't fix.
    I saw that the standard bars were rigidly fitted so I question KTM's reasoning there.
    This bike had the aftermarket KTM hardparts soft seat but after a 20 min ride I knew that wouldn't stay on for long.
    An aftermarket seat, as noted by 95% of 690 owners, is also a must.

Very impressed and if it weren't for the fact that a fully farkled, soft seated, correctly sprung, big tanked and well loved 525 was already sitting in my garage then I'd seriously be considering one of these bikes.

Definitely much more responsive and easier to manhandle than my 640 but a rally raid kit is a definite if I was to go the 690 route.
    Having said that, in it's current configuration, I'd have no hesitation whatsoever in punting the 690 through the tight Mallee single track.
    This would also be a great bike to ride through the Simpson Desert.
    Touring wise, the upper range was effortlessly reached on the 690.....did I say what a sweet engine it was....

To be honest, this exercise has confirmed I currently have the right mix as although the 640 felt bulkier on the way home, there was definitely less vibration through the bars.

What I did discover though was the lack of vibration through the foot pegs of the 690 compared to my 640 and this would be harder to rectify on my current ride.

For the time being though, the 640 will stay and, quite possibly, a HTC Oil cooler for the 525 (to increase capacity)may be on the cards to enable bringing that along to the longer but more technical rides.

For anyone who is committed to only retaining one bike, I cannot think of a better choice than one of these 690's.
  7. mrwocky117

mrwocky117 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone looked into or got any idea of what it would cost to get rid of the EFI and install a carby ?
  8. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    up date on the new mapping for the 2012 bikes that keep stalling i had done a wk or so ago by the ktm dealer..... it bloody does not work:baldy:baldy:baldy,so back to have a chat with them again 2morrow,
    apart from this its a brill bike but what a pain in the ass it is

mickd
  9. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did it have stock pipe, stock FI mapping etc ?
  10. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    Cost would be around $1000 to $2000 for the carb conversion. You have to change the ignition and the carb you need is expensive. Keep the fi...it is much more versatile.
  11. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey mick have you looked into the throttle body positioning i mentioned eaier -the new throttle body fixed my stalling isue
  12. LC4nicator

LC4nicator Certified Wino

Oddometer:
    Not sure about the mapping but it did have an Akro on it
    here's the link:
    http://www.bikesales.com.au/dealer/details/ktm-690-enduro-r-2009-14028753?__Ns=p_PriceSort_Decimal|0||p_Make_String|0||p_Model_String|0&__Nne=15&__No=0&__Qpb=1&__sid=128CC7DB1E7A&__N=1432%20604%201430%201429%201626%201428%204294967209%204294961024

He's had $9990 on it in the past and people kept asking what's wrong with it so he bumped it back up.
  13. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    B1
    i did mention it to them and they said this new mapping will do it:eek1 but he did say if that does not work they will look into getting one,thanks for the advice mate

RIDEWITHME
    please dont let this put you off getting the 690 i stand behind what all the other inmates have said in regards to this being one of the best bikes out there,every bike will have some thing that needs doing/sorting out,like i said come and have a go on mine if you like, then after that go out and buy one :clap

LC4
    if you liked that one have a go on the 2012 bikes
  14. creedyflyr

creedyflyr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got Me some new shoes for the 690.
    [​IMG]
  15. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    Superb!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  16. podge NT

podge NT Podge NT

Oddometer:

Might help the headshake
  17. mezcal

mezcal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mate there was one at Canberra Moto centre for $11990 with about 6700km, 10k is a great price in my opinion and that one is in much better condition. see below
    http://www.bikesales.com.au/dealer/...432 1429 1428 4294967209 4294961024 1478 1476
    I got mine for $8500 without rego and 5500km on the clock, bog stock standard. I was surprised when I saw it and how well it was looked after and the price sure didn't scare me off lol.
  18. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep two self tapers into that big black thing :rofl
  19. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:

Well I hope you don't mean the tank, I haven't got one in front of me to know what the big black thing is.
  20. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    nice brand new 690 at team moto with a full akro fitted waiting for some one to come and pick it up,ridewithme is it yours:D