Airhead Flea Market Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by bone13, Jun 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    No.
  2. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    you can link them with the quote function described right above your post. When you click the arrow next to the quote, you jump right over to the other thread. :thumb
  3. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:

mm..I don't get it.

Joe posts a helmet for sale in flea market.

Kyle wants to comment that he really likes that particular model and the price is outstanding. So kyle post up in the Discussion thread.

How does anybody watching the flea market thread know about Kyles post in Discussion?

Seems kinda like these "lookee the craigslist fool" threads. The posters on craigslist has no idea these conversations are going on behind their backs (for better or worse)
  4. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Put a link to the discussion post in the ad. Not hard. If I was selling something, I'd link it from both ends. If someone's reading the FM, they'll see the link to the discussion and if there's a link to the discussion in the ad, folks can jump over and talk about it.

The problem is that folks were basically using the FM as a place to talk about parts and other random crap that made it hard to actually read the ads. In some places, there are ads that are buried in a long stream of discussion or there are pages of discussion with no ads.

If I get a chance this weekend, I'll post up a how to do it thread so everyone knows how to link the two together.

Yeah, it's going to be a couple extra steps, but man, oh man, as it was the FM was a total off topic mess.
  5. guitstik

guitstik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I belong to Rangefinderforum.com and they have what I think is the best classifieds section I have seen on any forum. http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost-classifieds/index.php?cat=1

I don't know if we could do something like that here but it cuts down on the idle chit chat and makes it easier for interested parties to see and find items of interest.

just my $0.02
  6. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:

Here's an option:

Use the Flea Mkt as...a Flea Mkt,i.e; for sale, want to trade, wanted to buy.

No thoughts,feelings or opinions necessary all the time, constantly. Yeah, this requires an inner filter.

For more info see also the General Flea Mkt where the aforementioned crap gets kicked to head explody,pronto.

Believe me, "Joe" will be on board.

As will Baldy:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578108
  7. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Exactly the objective.
  8. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    I couldn't be a moderator.

Thanks for your effort.
  9. BeardThrone

BeardThrone ...in bat country.

Oddometer:
    Is there any way change the Flea Market to automatically delete posts, after say, a week? That would keep the thread fairly free of clutter from WTB posts and old posts that have since sold.

Just a thought.

BT
  10. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    A good thought, but not that I'm aware of.

Since this runs on MySQL, this may bear some investigation.

Thanks, BT.

And hey! The Flea Market thread is actually useful again! :clap :clap

Thanks for helping, everyone.
  11. atlthrux

atlthrux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The regular flea market seems to limit the posts somehow, either by post age or by # of pages. For example, I can see that the bikes 'last' page's oldest ad is from 6/22.

I googled for vbulletin auto delete plugins, and there are threads of delete-old-posts camps Vs the do-not-delete-old-post camps. Kinda like a cafe Vs preserve discussion here.

12. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    The FM mods go through and weed out all the old stuff by hand.

I'm too lazy. :lol3
  13. brocktoon

brocktoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like it's going to be an uphill battle to keep discussions out of the flea market, and will require active moderation. See for example the current last page of the FM with back-and-forth dialogue/advice between Big Bamboo, strichzwei, and SERE Nate.

IMO, best solution would be to use a VBulletin mod/plugin specifically for marketplaces, as suggested earlier by guitstik. There are a few actively developed solutions. The most popular/well-supported appears to be this one. Of course, implementation and localization to the ADVrider community might require a fair bit of fiddling.

I'm a web developer (Rails), and would be willing to help with implementation.
  14. GCCR

GCCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As described I am in need of the lower left section from a 77-95 Lower Left fairing with split at the bottom that goes over exhaust headers. Preferred with all tabs and bolt holes intact. Please contact by pm here. Thanks.

Dan
  15. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    ..and now the battle begins to keep the flea market ads out of the discussion thread. :lol3
  16. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Flea Market Ads in the discussion thread? We will not tolerate this sort of abuse! Double their dues, I say.
  17. nick_rhinocycles

nick_rhinocycles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco, Moto capital of N. America
    Yeah that was me. sorry!
    How do I move it?

Ok I nuked it, and will repost!
  18. camgregus

camgregus riding gently now Supporter

Oddometer:
    on the banks of the mighty mississippi, AR side
    Amen.
  19. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Flea-Market-ey question, but I want to follow the rules of the road here. I have a '76 /6 with mechanical gauges that are both unhooked, and a '78 R100S engine with electronic tach hookup.

What's going rate these days for a set of the later instruments?

An Acewell 4000-series can be had for $300-ish, but I kind of want to wait on that (if I ever do the "simplify, then add lightness" suite of mods I'd like to) until I can go through the old gal and inspect/replace every wear item so I can set it to "0" miles and feel honest about it.

I assume my set is worth something to somebody to help offset the cost, but I appreciate some help figuring the buy-in on the "new" parts.

Thanks, dudes.
    -Adam
  20. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    There is no ethical method to reset an odometer to zero. The miles on the vehicle are total miles for it's whole life. You may at some point say "I rebuilt the engine and transmission at 130K" or "She's got 6K since a rebuild" But there is no going back to zero. I actually believe this is a Federal Law in addition too being more in touch with reality.

Why don't you have the mechanical gauges hooked up? They are good instruments if they work. The speedo has a reputation of being a little off. Mine is only about 4% off. The original gauges can be repaired.

Price of the gauges you are thinking of selling varies according to condition and how badly somebody wants them. Ebay seems to be where you might get your best price but then if you don't know how to run an auction there and are impatient you might also get taken. Do a search on Ebay and save the search so you get emails daily on what gauges are going for. In a month or two you'll be the local expert on what these things cost. If you want to place a want ad to sell something do it here on Adventure Rider or also on IBMWR.

The bike will always be worth more if you have the original parts. If you think the after market speedo is what you want I would suggest you put the original in a box. The after market speedo will cost $300 new and be worth $150 after you hook it up. In 3 years the after market speedo that cost you $300 is worth $75, maybe. The original speedo will increase in value. There is no argument with this.

BTW, IMHO, those speedos you youngsters seem to like look awfully ugly to me. Maybe the original is ugly to you? Does that mean anything? I think not. Which one works best? Is more durable? Are there any advantages other than performance or style? You mention saving weight? I think the difference in weight of the speedos may be several ounces. So I still think your best deal would be to fix the OEM gauges.