Garmin VIRB Elite Camera/GPS

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Emmbeedee, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    This post is now a list of resources pertaining to the Garmin VIRB and VIRB Elite Action Cameras:

The Garmin VIRB mini-site: http://sites.garmin.com/virb/

The VIRB product page: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/action-cameras/virb-/prod119592.html

The VIRB Elite product page: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/action-cameras/virb-elite/prod119594.html

A list of reviews of the VIRB:

DCRainmaker's excellent Garmin VIRB & VIRB Elite In-Depth Review: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/12/garmin-depth-review.html

VIRB Resources:

Garmin Forums page for the Windows version of VIRB Edit: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?426-VIRB-Edit

Garmin Forums page for the MAC version of VIRB Edit: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?425-VIRB-Edit
  2. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

First impressions:

To start recording all you need to do is push the slider switch. The camera turns the power on and starts right up, though it's not fast to fire up. I counted to 9 before it was ready to go.

The plastic parts look much more solid than GoPro parts. I have broken many GP parts in the year I've owned my GP2, but the Garmin parts seem to be made from a less brittle material.

Hand holding the Garmin is much easier. It's a lot more ergonomic for that kind of use. The GP is clumsy, when used handheld.

The viewfinder being on top of the VIRB also makes it easier to use handheld and get well framed shots.

The captive nut on the mounts can't come out and be lost, as so often happens on the GP mounts.

The camera body has a lanyard slot. And the camera itself is shaped in such a way that it won't feel awkward if it's on a lanyard around your neck. I have never once thought it would be a good idea to have the GP on a lanyard around my neck.

A picture from the VIRB:

[​IMG]
  3. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's quite a lot of curvature. I hope the camera becomes popular enough that some of the lens correction software makers (such as DxO) will develop corrective software for it.

Does the camera have the ability to take still photos automatically, every x seconds?

According to my credit card company, it looks like I've been charged for the ION camera I ordered, which means it's probably shipped (earlier than expected). They said I wouldn't be charged until shipping, but I haven't gotten any shipping notice from them.

Maybe once I get mine you and I should meet maybe in Hawkesbury and do a comparison.

Cheers!
  4. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    The VIRB has lens correction software built in. It was set to off when I took the picture.

It can take pictures at 2, 5, 10, 30 and 60 second intervals.

Sure, we can meet in Hawkesbury sometime. Preferably a nice sunny day!
  5. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple of pictures taken with the lens correction software enabled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The correction is built into the camera? Or supplied as some kind of software you run to correct the image?

I must say the result looks really good.
  7. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Built in to the camera. It's a setting you enable/disable in the menu.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  8. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    A few other pictures of the VIRB Elite:

The lanyard slot really inspires confidence. I think the frame's metal or aluminum, but not plastic, anyway.

[​IMG]

This is a series of Dashboards specific to the Elite model. I'm not sure what each one represents, but I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Tempe was in the house so it wasn't paired with the VIRB at this point.

[​IMG]

This is one of the glue-on base mounts. This one fits on curved surfaces like helmets really well.

[​IMG]
  9. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the write-up. withe the lens correction, not sure why anybody would not have it active...I hate the fisheye look. Looking forward to hearing your writeup regarding the video capability.
  10. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    You're right, the Lens Correction's going to stay on now.

Here's another pic I took this morning before enabling that setting.

[​IMG]

The detail in the picture is so much better than what I was getting on the GP2.
  11. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Finding more interesting features here:

The camera can be set in auto-record mode so it records only while moving. Or Ski mode which records only if you're going downhill.

Also, Loop mode lets you shoot 5, 10, 20 or 30 minute loops. I'll have to try this out. Would hate to lose interesting footage if I had no warning that the loop was going to be deleted on me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  12. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    One of the things that have really interested me about the Drift Ghost is the fact that you can set it up to constantly record, but it will only save the last minute of content after pushing a button on the remote. Saves tons of editing time later.

Does the Virb have anything like this?
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    That is what I thought of when I saw that the VIRB had a loop feature. I'll check how it works today and let you know.
  14. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    This info from the manual describes the Loop feature:

"Recording a Video Loop

Loop mode allows you to record video continuously but save only the most recent video footage. You can select the number of minutes of video to save. This enables you to save storage space when you want to capture key moments but do not want to save all footage of an activity. This feature is useful when using the device as a driving recorder.
    The saved video loop is split into multiple files of equal length. This allows you to delete unwanted portions of the video easily.

1 SelectMODE>SETUP>VIDEO>Mode>Loop.
    2 Select the number of minutes of video to save.
    3 Start recording video.
    4 When finished, stop recording.
    The most recent footage is saved on the memory card, up to the number of minutes selected in step 2."

I don't know how the Ghost works, but it sounds like the VIRB does the same, essentially.
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Just figured out what this is:

[​IMG]

It's the G Force sensor.

This screen cap of the manual describes the Dashboard functions.

[​IMG]
  16. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there are standard tripod mount (1/4 x 20 hole) on the Virb?

What are the helmet mounting options, and how does the lens orientation work?
  17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    It's an extra $6 for the tripod mount. It attaches to the VIRB cradle.

This is both of them together.

[​IMG]

Helmet mounting options are pretty much like the GP - a glued base on your helmet and the camera attaches to that.

[​IMG]

Not sure what you mean by lens orientation, but for the moment while the Smartphone app is not out yet, I guess you'll just have to eyeball it. There is no laser beam, if that's what you mean.

There is a level to help set it up, but it won't be of much help if it's on top of your helmet while said helmet's on your head. :lol3

[​IMG]
    wildy likes this.
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    The VIRB can be mounted on a shoulder with this harness. $40 at GPSCity. Click the image to see the page.

[​IMG]
  19. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ooooohhhhhh....... Ahhhhhhh...... VIRB Bra!

Does it come in pink with lace? :rofl
    slime likes this.
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I'm sure if you ask nicely they'll fix you up with that.