moto-mule a cargo trailer to pull behind your dual sport motorcycle

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by MrBracket, Nov 16, 2011.

1. MrBracket

MrBracket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As you might see above, Mr.Fisherman has the new roto-pax mount on his trailer. Here are a few sneak peaks of items that will be added to the webpage soon.....

[​IMG]

Here is an up close look at the roto-pax mount. Shown with the locking roto-pax holders.

[​IMG]

It even works with the new roto-pax 1.75 gallon fuel tanks.

[​IMG]

Here is the new moto-mule base plate. This plate makes it ease to mount additional roto-pax containers, wolfman bags, happy trail boxes, and pelican cases.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of it mounted to the trailer.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot with more roto-pax containers mounted to the base plate.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot with a kolpin fuel container mounted to the baseplate.

[​IMG]

Want to turn your trailer into a tanker rig??

[​IMG]

Here is a shot with a small wolfman rollie bag in place.

[​IMG]

And finally a shot with a Pelican case on a twisted throttle quick release locking mount kit.

[​IMG]

Next thing on the drawing board is a backbone mounting plate, this will allow side by side mounting of items.
  2. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
    You know what else would work nice on the Roto-Pac bracket? A pair of Pelican 1430's, which I just happen to have sitting, waiting for a home.

The trailer is really getting refined, nice work.
  3. PIGSTER

PIGSTER n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there MrBracket. Greetings from the UK.

Can you tell me the ground clearance under the trailer? I'm trying to build some thing like yours and im not sure what would be an ok height. I dont suppose it would really matter, as i only intend to do soft offroading. No major fallen tree or rock obstackles. But i don't want it to be too high to be unsafe.

Thanks in advance for any help
  4. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Today a friend needed a smile. I let him try my bike and trailer in his yard while his grandson was doing laps....

Who's having more fun? :lol3

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x5Y12lcpCzc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. Mr. Fisherman

Oddometer:
    By the way, in that video both Rotopax containers are full, the trailer is full of my moto gear, jacket, helmet, rain liners, gloves, and back pac with 3 liters of water and tools. I'd say about #40 :nod
  6. TrainedChimp

TrainedChimp Consistently wrong

Oddometer:
    :ear

:lurk
  7. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    Made some progess on the tail light setup for the trailers....

[​IMG]

Closeup...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5prong trailer connector secured along the swingarm. I need to find some re-useable zip ties or the like
    to secure wiring to the brake line??

[​IMG]

Backside of bracket showing the wiring.

[​IMG]

So far so good, it really works great!!
  8. Mr. Fisherman

Oddometer:

Nice! Not in time for this trip.

Have you taken the tail light apart to see how good the construction is?
    LED?

How many tanks of gas is it $$? :lol3
  9. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    A true Moto Man's measure of actual dollar value....:norton

LOVE this Moto-Mule trailer !!!
    Thanks for adding my 990 pics to your website, it makes me proud :1drink

Just got back from a 1500 mile ride with this thing, loaded to likely 60-80 pounds.

It just followed me everwhere, it's quite amazing how not noticeable this thing is behind me,
    even on some quite rough & rutted two-track along the North Fork of the John Day River.

It's the PERFECT Base-Camp companion, full of camping luxuries I simply could not take without it (my wife thanks you).
    The BIG Polar Bear Ice Chest ???? YES !!!
    The BIG tent ??? YES !!!
    Even a two-burner Coleman Campstove fits inside that Action Packer box !!

It changes the handling only slighly entering the corners, very little really;
    I just gotta push down on that inside peg a bit more to initiate the turn.

In the ruts, it actually INCREASES the gyro effect of keeping me upright !!

One BAD side effect, however....
    While packing a very full grocery cart into this thing and my Jesse panniers,
    I couldn't get out of the friggin' parking lot with all the admirers and "ga ga-ers"

"They just would not shut up" (Joe Walsh)
    I finally just had to say "Hey, Shut Up !!" and ride away to feed the masses at the ADV Hells Canyon gig.
    :freaky
  10. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Question for you Mr.Bracket

I have one of your first Mules. Its for a 2006 KLR. Is it possible to "covert" it for use on a DRZ400?
  11. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is actually an easy swap as the width of the two is the same. You just need a nut-plate for one side of the hitch and a skewer to go through the hollow axle of the DRZ.

Are you trading off your KLR to get a DRZ or just adding a DRZ to the stable?
  12. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    All the lights are LED, tail light and blinkers. The construction seems to be good, but honestly I'm a better welder than electrician....

I still need to figure out the cost. I'll offer the bracket by itself so someone could add their own lights and wiring. I'll make a kit that has just the tail/brake light. And I'll offer it as pictured, with the blinkers as well.
  13. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buying a DRZ but will be selling the KLR

How much would it cost to get what I need?
  14. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    $35 for me to send you the parts to make your trailer fit the DRZ. Or, you can just send me the two Aluminum Chain Adjuster Blocks and the two Wing Bolts for the KLR hitch and I'll send you the DRZ parts for free. Your choice.

You must be wanting to ride offroad more than on-road?? I'm assuming that's the reason for a switch to the DRZ...
  15. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I do like 90% dirt. The KLR is a great bike, but it's a PIG on single track stuff.

Dude, you rock.:clap If you'll shoot me a PM with your address I'll do the swap out if you don't mind
  16. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    MrBracket, Are you going to take a M-Mule to the Sound Rider Rally in Stevenson ,Wa Aug 1-5? If you show up with one it would spark alot of interest from the DS riders there and maybe get a few sold. Maybe Happy Trails would also become dealer for you???? Just thinking from a self-annoyed buisiness perspective. Worse case scenerio, you go to rally , have a ball riding around and write it all off as a business advertising expense. I've gone the last 4 years and really enjoy the time riding around down there. You could also do some testing on your rig by doing the Mary Hill twisties on Friday with one. Heres the link, I'm not affiliated in any way to anyone at the rally if it matters, just thought it would be a great oportunity for you. rj

http://www.soundrider.com/current/1206/rally_in_the_gorge_2012.htm
  17. hyperboarder

hyperboarder Potato Farmer

Oddometer:
    How much extra hardware in involved in swapping the trailer from a DR650 to a DL1000? I have both, I'd probably want to tow it between both. Looks like there's a $50 price difference so I'm sure something is different... Also, I probably missed it, but I'm assuming the action packer isn't included with the trailer? IIRC that's an easy Walmart pickup.
  18. PO-SLOKE

PO-SLOKE " ONTO " Member # 3

Oddometer:
    Not to sound negitive here at all . I personally get pretty excited about the whole idea of the Moto-Mule itself . But I've got several of those Rubber Maid " Action Packers " , and just sitting out over night with the lid on and the handles latched , the things are full of water in a heavy rain . Can't imagine how wet they would be from riding in the rain . Looks like a smokin rig with a good pelican box back there . I want one to haul my dog in . lol .
  19. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had mine in pouring rain and did a water crossing where it FLOATED across. Only had like a teaspoons worth of water in the bottom of it...
  20. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct