Who is racing DAKAR 2013?

Discussion in 'Racing' started by xr400r, Jun 16, 2012.

1. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huanuco, Peru, SA, home in Mid-Coast Maine, USA
    Great news! I haven't seen Johnny since spring of 1990 if my recollection serves me!

:rayof:rayof:rayof
  3. luisbelaustegui

luisbelaustegui Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This year, for the third time we are going.
    The team has the support truck and the RV in England
    The two KTM 450 are being finished and send to France on October 16th.
    Colombians Marco Saldariaga and Mateo Moreno are the riders of those two bikes.
    Bikes were prepared by Scott Spears here in Missouri.
    Michael Stanfield is racing KTM Rally Replica.
    My KTM XC 150 is in Spain, this year is going to be prepared by JVO, the first JVO KTM.

We still have spots in the container if anyone needs to transport items to France

It is going to be a great Dakar

Luis
  4. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    Hi Luis,

Darn right it's gonna be a great Dakar! RMS going again too. It'll be BicyclePhil and I running the truck this year. Truck is in the UK right next to yours ;-) Let's talk about your container. Check PM's or have Mike call me.

ADV folks, RMS will have room for two tourists this year. Contact me asap if you are interested.

Dave

5. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    So people from the U.S. racing this year include:

Johnny Campbell
    Kevin Muggelton
    Mike Stanfield
    Luis Belaustegui

Am I forgetting anyone? And I realized I've been assuming that JC had ridden a bike in the Dakar before, but that's not actually the case, is it?

Even without Jenny and Llewellyn not racing, if I've counted correctly The Crown is sending another 10 riders (UK, Australia, South Africa,Canada).
  6. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes JC has riden a XR 650r in Dakar ( Africa no less ):eek1
    2001--8th overall/1st privateer, Paris-to-Dakar Rally

[​IMG]
  7. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to wonder if it cost him less than 15,800 Euro's to get the 15,800 Euro entry fee for free?:lol3 Not sure if he hired a bike package for the Safari or brought his own over.
  8. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Rumors are that Patsy is not sending a support team....maybe some Brits backed out?

Mike Stanfield is going? I thought he wasn't accepted? Super cool if he got in. Always good fun to cheer for someone to defeat the odds :thumb

More Canadians than Americans this year....odd...
  9. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    I got the same impression chatting to her a month ago in Serres. She was heavily championing the Africa Eco race as an alternative and "back to the roots" race which is cheaper to do for the motorcycle enthusiast who doesn't have access to a trust fund :wink:
  10. Dread Pendragon

Oddometer:
  11. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    Yea, RMS was gonna go with Patsy, but she changed plans and now we are sending our own truck.

Did I mention we have room for two tourists? Ted, come back again?

Anyone else want to write a book, live the dream, etc?

[​IMG]

I think Ted will tell you it was worth it.

[​IMG]
  12. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    the link above is a bit misleading... 30k euros ~ 192m Zambian kwachas ~ $37426 (US). what a crazy exchange rate!

13. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. luisbelaustegui

Oddometer:
    Freedom Rally Racing is assiting
    Colombians Marteo Moreno and Marco Salsariaga on KTM 450 prepared by Scott Spears
    and Luis Belaustegui (myself) with KTM 150 prepared by JVO, The first KTM -JVO.
    Here is a picture of the computer model. I can upload pictures as work advances.

Freedom Rally Racing is sending a 40 foot container that leaves for France on Oct 16th, if anyone has stuff to send, contact Mike Stanfield.

We also have room for tourists, and two spots for motorcycles and mechanics.
    The team has a state of the art support truck and a beautiful motor-home, for the ones that do not like to chew dust while asleep (not my case)

As soon as I figure it out I post pics.
    '
    As Charlie says
    Fun Fun

Attached Files:

15. luisbelaustegui

Oddometer:
    One pic at the time
    This is the support truck
    Ford F 450 2011

"Mike Stanfield" <Michael.Stanfield@freedomcyclesinc.com>,

Attached Files:

16. luisbelaustegui

Oddometer:
    Motorhome
    A bedroom in the rear
    A double bed over the cab
    Two slide outs make another single bed in the center
    AC
    Shower
    AC
    ¿Did I mentioned AC?

Attached Files:

17. Dakar rookie

Dakar rookie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there, am a bit of a rookie at this so bear with me. Yes we are doing Dakar 2013, we being David Reeve from Zambia and two of us are going along as pit crew/support etc. Also on the team that we have joined up with (Orange Service Team) is Ingo Waldschmidt from Namibia (done Dakar twice and finished both times), and have just heard that we also have Clayton Jacobsen from Aus and also a quad rider possibly/probably.

From SA side there is quad rider Sarel Van Biljon going, and bikers Glen Grundy & Brett Cummings on Hondas, as well as Darryl Curtis and Riaan Van Niekerk.

Did training and navigation course in Namibia recently and David got used to his new KTM RR 450 as well as worked out what all them gadgets on the handlebars were for!!:norton
  18. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Have fun and good luck to all your riders :freaky
  19. Dread Pendragon

Oddometer:
    Dakar rookie, if you haven't been on this forum during previous Dakars, let me tell you that you've found home. If you are able to post any updates before, during or after the Dakar it will be enormously appreciated. Any bivouac/behind-the-scenes stories/pictures will be particularly appreciated. Thanks for posting in this forum!
  20. Dakar rookie

Dakar rookie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Welcome guys... yip I think I lurked in previous years but spent most of my life absolutely glued to the live tracking and frantically texting other like minded people or the wife of one of the riders...

This year, I am so lucky to go with, but not sure if I will be able to keep you updated all the time, I am hopeless with technology but will try to do something or at least afterwards try and give you an idea of what went on. This has been my dream since the 80's and I still cannot believe that David would take me with as his support crew.

For further info or to try and give you an insight into us lot in Namibia/Zambia go onto the guys FB pages, David Reeve's Zambia Dakar 2013 Challenge and Ingo Waldschmidt: 1st ever Namibian to participate in the Dakar.