Where do you hide your cash?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by InDenial, Nov 30, 2012.

1. InDenial

InDenial Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm making a trip to Alaska and wondering where I can keep my cash. On my bike or on my body? Wondering what you have done in the past.
  2. 568V8

568V8 Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer:
    I use more plastic then cash. Plastic works nearly anyplace except small mom & pop roadside eateries. I keep a designated credit card in the handy right sleeve pocket of my Road Crafter suit; some cash maybe about $30 in a plastic waterproof zip-lock bag in my coat pocket; and my wallet with ID, another credit card, some cash and my passport in ziplock bag in the inside breast pocket of my coat. Most other cash is packed in my luggage so inaccessible and safe through the day, unless I unpack.
    The handy credit card in my sleeve and some casah in a handy bag in my pocket is that I can go all day without touching my wallet or important ID; so I won't misplace important documents accidentally when I'm fueling up (either my tank or my gut).
    I also carry emergency contact information in an external pocket, that hopefully will be easily found if necessary.
  3. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I keep half my cash with me at all times (usually hidden in my jacket, which stays with me when I leave the bike), and the other half on the bike. Plus I carry a debit card.
  4. NHADV

NHADV Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I am in a place where crime is in question I usually keep a 20 bill in my front pocket and the rest hidden elsewhere on me.
  5. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    In multiple places.
  6. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    You're on a motorcycle. I doubt you'll have many $300 fill ups. Gas stations, hotels, motels, restaurants, tire shops and even camp grounds take cards. By all means carry a hundred in 20's for convenience - but you're hardly in any risk of being robbed. Wild salmon in Alaska aren't that delinquent.

I've never been to Alaska yet but I have a hard time believing that you won't see an ATM/Bank or a Visa sticker on a window for extended periods of time. Or can't get to one within a couple days.

Numbers mentioned a good point. Zip lock bags. They are your friends.

I try not to carry more than I'm willing to part with.
  7. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    in your butt

lol i just have the usual shrapnel in my pockets maybe a 10 or 20 bill and my card
  8. RTLover

RTLover Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was okay for Christopher Walken. It will stay dry for up to five years. :D
  9. Walterxr650l

Walterxr650l Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could get something like this.

[​IMG]

Or something like this on the inside of the boot.

[​IMG]

Walter
  10. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I want to hide cash I give it to my wife. Within seconds its gone !
  11. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    1) Day use wallet. Keep the days money and old expired cards in this. Use it to pay for stuff each day. If robed this is what you give them, they re not going to check the dates on your cards. Replenish as it runs low in a secure location (eg usually at night before you go to sleep). They will want to take your wallet. That is where most people keep most of their money.

2) Significant money should be broken up into at least two different places. Alternative ID also needs two different places. Storage online of your id with secure access online may be the better method of having emergency ID available.

No I'm not telling you on a public form where I keep my stuff. That simply tells robbers where to look. Find your own hiding places.
  12. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what popped in my head when I read the OP's question.
  13. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    This thread is one youtube video away from hitting the basement. :evil
  14. Digasi

Digasi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Simple rule for travel, regardless of how you are traveling.

Keep only a small amount of cash in your wallet. Keep only the thing you are willing to lose in there too. Usually just cash you need for the day and 1 debit/CC. This should be really handy for you to get to and use

Keep passport, most of you money and other things you don't want to loose very close on you in such a way you never really leave it alone. This is probably not very accessible but should be able to get to when needed.

also, hide some spare cash/CC and photocopies off ALL documents on your bike some where that isn't easily assessable by others.

Just figure out what works best for you.
  15. CaptTeach

CaptTeach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right next to the holster ;)
  16. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    That won't work south of the border
  17. InDenial

InDenial Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's where it's usually at, but can't do that in Canada. Too bad
  18. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are going to AK, not the Amazon! Put it where you would put it if you were riding from CA to NY. In fact, chances of getting robbed are probably better if you WERE riding from CA to NY!

Your chances of losing your wallet or CCs are much higher than being robbed on a trip to AK...unless of course, you have to ride across the lower 48 first. :D
  19. Wdwrkr

Wdwrkr Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's usually best to keep it on your person, but not in your wallet, just incase they want the bike too. I wouldn't be too concerned Canada is much safer then home for the most part ( there are always exceptions). It safest to travel with CCs and travelers checks for cash, then you can cash them at hotels or most banks and keep your exposure to a minimum. On the bike I've tried a couple locations

1. Under the tool tray there is a nice little space, stays dry, and most people don't even know it's there. So unless your robbed by a starved former GS owner your probably safe there.
    2. I squeezed my autocom in that space so I took a small can with a screw off lid (I found a tea can 2 1/2x 1 1/2) painted it black and zip tied it to the frame under the beak with a couple wires soldered to the bottom. If you were looking right at it you would swear it was part of the bike. It'll hold a couple grand in large unmarked bills, but again if they take the bike your doubly screwed.

Always have a noatorized copy of your ID with you just in case
  20. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hide cash in ATMs all around the world.:lol3