Long Beach, CA Oilfields riders?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by ColorItBlue, Mar 27, 2013.

1. 340hp

340hp Long timer

Oddometer:

Be careful out there. There are a few kids who filter out of the College Park East on a little 110 and an old minitrail. They set up a few jumps and berms in the area but have poor attention to trail details like logs and thick brush in the impact zone. They do know how to hide the holes in the chain link fence (and the holes only fit a minibike, so leave um some fun).

The big field south of Willow is accessed from the Nature Center, and observed on a regular basis by the bird & coyote vs. squirrel fans. It's not worth it unless you want to get caught.

Gum Grove park single track used to be good for one or two blasts in the late 80's, before Seal Beach's finest would park at the Hellman oil field gate west of their Station. I doubt a mountain bike could ride without complaint today.

Your best bet for a photo is the north side of Signal Hill (access off either end of the Promenade). Unfortunately it's almost all gravel roads, scenic but no challenge. When the Roughnecks are working they will call it in (so know your exit options).
  2. ColorItBlue

ColorItBlue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun!! I'm guessing LBPD will be more forgiving of them than they will be of some adult blasting on a BRP...

I'm still scared of Signal Hill PD since that incident in the '70s when a guy hung himself in their jail while handcuffed:eek1
    oh yeah, he had a bunch of dog bites, too
  3. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    No pics yet???
  4. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    F Long Beach, go ride CNF!
  5. ColorItBlue

Oddometer:
    it isn't the same without the Vanishing Point mentality carried by the pre-teen mini-bike set in the non-rural environment...
  6. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    can anyone take me on a tour of these hotspots?
  7. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    :huh
    Why?
  8. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    I would never ride into them (because that would be illegal), I'm just curious where they are

I rode down the 605 today, and that construction site I posted above has a lot of workers there
  9. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    Fixed!
  10. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    okay, I think I found one via foot...is this one of those small practice tracks?

[​IMG]

I even saw what looked like dirt bike tire tracks...which couldn't have been more than a week or two old.

but it has 2 bermed s-turns looping to a short straight and 3 "whoops" with a jump about 1' high. It's bordered by the freeway, so hopefully anyone riding it wouldn't be bothering anyone. The only problem is that snobby-looking cyclists go near there, who very likely would contact the authorities. And I don't know where else a rider could exit if the police came...and a hobo lives under the bridge nearby

I also found this single jump/berm, but it was better suited for a bmx bike:

[​IMG]

and this was a single jump for a bmx bike, but relatively inaccessible for a motorcycle:

[​IMG]
  11. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this near the Studebaker/22/605?

I travel on PCH in/out of Seal, and i've been seeing some 12-15yo's on there 50's, 70's and mini bikes traversing on Loynes. I've been wondering where they are riding those things, maybe you found the spot.
  12. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure where it is...

but loyones is a long ride - I wonder if they were riding to the spot I found?

but I'll circle by on my days off and hopefully I can find the other riders...maybe they can tell me if it's a 'reasonable' place to ride

on the other hand, I know that this other spot, which is also very, very close by...is pretty much abandoned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhh_AvUNsGg&list=HL1374646143

maybe we can revitalize it into a mini dirtbike practice track :evil
  13. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    I stopped by this place today - there isn't anything there at all. I read a post that CalTrans wiped the whole thing, which is likely what happened. No jumps left over, and there are a bunch of new/small trees planted to keep it from being made again.

however, it *is* big enough to tool around on a dirt bike...anyone want to ride down?
  14. ColorItBlue

Oddometer:
    None of these are 'reasonable' spots anymore, I was just looking to reminisce with some youngsters who tore it up around those oilfields 40 years ago long before Trader Joe's, MP, and even Ralph's invaded the space. That being said, I do fantasize about making a high speed blast down some of those right-of-ways
  15. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Gardena right accross from Ascot raceway. We rode in the parking lot, then next door at Devil's Ditch and Dominguez Hill alot. Tons of fun before all of the expansion and industrial buildings, Old folks mobile home parks...oh crap I am almost old enough to move into those now !!! :huh
  16. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was out running errands today and went right by the 'old' entrance to Ascot. I'm in this area almost daily with work. Speaking of old racetracks, I spent many an hour at Lion's back in the day. I was young, but those memories never fade.

Ascot is now an auto auction yard...
    [​IMG]
  17. kellymac530

Oddometer:
    Yep, car auction now.

If you turned around and looked at that culdesac across the street, my parents STILL live in the second house. GHETTO. But home. :lol3
  18. kellymac530

Oddometer:
    Lyons drags was a great time....run what ya brung nite....:clap

I have not seem anyone mention Cycle Haven....aka Honda Haven on TI.....no else rode there?
    I rode there with Johnny O and Wardy back in the 70's...cool little inner city track.
  19. ColorItBlue

Oddometer:
    Terminal Island? We ran a few times at The Brotherhood...
  20. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    fixed