GS911 - What does it really do?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by TuefelHunden, Feb 6, 2013.

1. TuefelHunden

TuefelHunden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do my own maintenance. I have the RepRom Service Manual (sure makes me long for the days of paper service manuals) and JVB DVD's. Gettin' pissed at that wonderful "reminder" telling me my service is overdue. Makes me want to get the GS911 but it will be over 60K of services before I break even with just having my dealer reset it. I really like having my throttle bodies in sync, but do you really have to calibrate the steppers very often or lock them when you check sync with your TwinMax??? I see a lot mentioned about ABS and the GS911 but the user's manual on their website doesn't tell you much about that. Neither does JVB's DVD's. Pretty much all I see is that you bleed the brakes like a non-ABS bike. What am I missing here???
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    You pretty much have it covered. For a single individual who doesn't ride too much, and doesn't do any repairs, the GS911 may not be worth the investment alone. However, it would be worth having a few friends go in together on one. The usefulness is more than just what you mentioned, especially if you have any issues.

Check out the GS911 web site for information on all that it does. It is really an amazing piece of technology!:deal

http://www.gs911usa.com/gs-911-details.php

Jim :brow

PS No, I do not have a stake in the company.
  3. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The three best service tools I have are the JVB DVDs, the GS-911 and the LC-1 Wideband controller.

The GS-911 let's you see what data the Motronic or BMS-K is measuring from all its sensors. Below is the R1150 list, the R1200 list is longer. It also lets you see a graphic display of O2 sensor performance, helps with TPS adjustment, brake bleed-down, read error codes, clear error codes, read ABS info (haven't used this yet), test fuel pump, tank purge, and some other things that I've probably forgotten.

One problem it helped another guy solve was a drifting upward RPM issue. He would open the throttle to 2500 rpm and it would drift up another 1000 over several seconds. What was happening was that the TPS was opening something like a couple degrees. No way to see that with the eye. So if you need it it's a good tool.

As JVB suggested each personal unit is good for 10 motorcycle VINs so it could be shared.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. little foot

little foot seriously not serious

Oddometer:
    I have owned one for 3 yrs now and I have used it 3 times and i do my own maintenance. Meaning valve adjusts and fluid changes. I also bought a twin max and used it once to check things out and all is well. My point is my bike hasn't needed any adjustments other than the service reminder, so this tool is probably not for me but I do have one.
  5. The Other JC

The Other JC Lurking since 2004..

Oddometer:
    Its only when you don't have the tools that you need them. They ward off problems by simply owning them :evil

<br><BR>
  6. TuefelHunden

Oddometer:
    I've got a statue of a mongoose on my desk. Never seen a cobra even close to my office here in Spartanburg, SC. :D

There is one item that spawned this thread. ABS, I know you can read error codes, but is there any wizardry it does when you swap brake fluid or something like that with the ABS controller?
  7. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a diagnostic tool, with a few utilities on it. You seem like you want someone to talk you into one.

Either it's worth it for you or it's not. Some people just like to be prepared. Otherwise, they're on here asking if they can borrow one.
  8. kimokk

kimokk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I don't think it is complete yet, but they are working on a way to cycle the servo so the fluid will more easily flush out of the unit, both servo and non-servo ABS.

10. mudmullet

mudmullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate paying rent. Sure, I might have to drive another 60K to get my money's worth, but I plan on doing that, anyway. After that, somebody the flea market will PayPal me some frog skins.:clap

Best thing, though, is instant gratification. Don't have to wait for someone else to show up to work, and I get to tinker and compare, over and over and over and over . . . .
  11. milo

milo Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's $300 and it works on 10 bikes. If you have multiple BMW's or a friend or two who'd share it's a great deal. I wonder if those of us with a GS911 will be able to utilize it on the new GS coming out this year?
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I talked with Stephan about that, and it looks like the new K1600 uses the same system, but it is, of course different than the current bikes. In other words, not yet, but they are making good progress, and all old units will have the ability to use the new software when it comes out. As is typical, he doesn't charge for upgrades in software. I am assuming this will be no different.

13. TuefelHunden

Oddometer:
    Thanks KIMOKK for the url, good info. I've used similar but way more capable software on Triumphs. That's why I asked exactly what it "really" does. I agree with you Jim, that it probably isn't complete. I am going to get one for two reasons, I hate that service interval reminder, and I am anal over throttle sync. Knowing the ECU info isn't something I use every day but it's nice to look at. :1drink I watched the TuneECU program for Triumphs (Aprilla, Benelli, and several others too) progress over time by adding functions. The programmer just had to figure out what he wanted to add to the application. If the ZFE could do it with the BMW diag tool, then the GS911 could potentially do it. Then it is reverse engineering time.

Last question, honest :D. When you load the software on your laptop, does it have more "user manual" type information than what is on their website?
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Yes, and there is a forum for the GS911 that discusses what the codes can mean.

15. jaymboze

jaymboze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I bought the gs911 mainly for 2 reasons:
    1. I do as much of my own servicing as possible, and this tool ( yes, it is just a tool) :rofl gives me the opportunity to do just that.
    2. How good, no, make that great is it to be out in the middle of nowhere, and be able to diagnose and fix a problem on the side of the road, and continue on with your trip, as opposed to calling for the nearest tow truck ( if your phone works )and having your bike taken to the nearest dealer, who is more than likely a million miles away, therefore ruining your trip.

These things are worth their weight in gold if you ask me, and it lives in my toolkit with all of the other essentials you need when out on the road.:D
    For the sake of a few hundred bucks, it sure does give you peace of mind.
  16. seniorasi

seniorasi Banned

Oddometer:
    Where can I find this GS911 forum?
  17. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. seniorasi

seniorasi Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link mate! Probably going to pull the trigger just want be aware of capabilities, interpretation formats, and problems prior to. Initial peruse suggests good product support.
  19. semaja2

semaja2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't use it too much but I am glad to own one, in all the trips that I do I know when my bike breaks down its going to be electrical based and the GS911 will help me get the fault codes and get help remotely

Eg. Central australia with no dealerships around for about 2,000km, only a sat phone and a gs911 to save the day

Well worth it in my opinion and I'm sure you could sell it later for next to no loss :)
  20. David13

David13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use mine to read codes, on my bikes and on other peoples, when we work on those.
    I also use it to reset the service indicators, again on mines and others.
    Only once did I use it on a breakdown, on the side of the mountain at La Rumorosa near Mexicali. It confirmed on my laptop computer that it was the fuel pump controller.
    dc