How many significant crashes?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Aj Mick, Jul 2, 2013.

?

How many significant crashes on the road have you been involved in as a motorcyclist?

1. None at all

2. None significant

3. One

4. A couple

5. Three or four

6. 5 to 10

7. 11 to 20

8. I recall more than 20

9. Way more than I care to remember

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. it happens

it happens sh it happens

Oddometer:
    :clapThree and hoping no more. First was in the 80's on my 74 Honda 750. Went down in a corner in the rain and walked away with no wounds. ATGATT. Second was in the mid 90's on my YZ125. To high and to fast. One broken mirror and brake lever. The human was not made to fly without some kind of flight aid. Last year breaking in some new rubber on my F650GS I got to high on the side and laid it down. One broken mirror and one broken rib. Down one good pair of Redwing boots and one good jacket. Pants lived to ride again. Shit Happens fast. ATGATT is all I can say.
  2. ULY-RPG

ULY-RPG cool hands adv

Oddometer:
    Only one.
    It was all my fault.
    The short story is, Massive tank slapper and I low sided then slid 440 feet and the bike went 550.:eek1 Walked away from it with very minor rash.
    ATGATT:deal
    Everything I enjoy is illegal:cry
    Spending lots more time on the Husky in the dirt and liking it.:deal
    I'm taking time off the street, the cagers around here were spoiling it any way.
  3. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    Hope I didn't just jinx myself.
  4. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    Saw a fellow t-bone a deer at 165 km/h years ago. Ended badly for everyone.
  5. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    One, in 70's collided with a car making U turn, not my fault. Riding . Mall these without crashing, is not because I'm the greatest rider in the world. Luck for one thing, has played its part. I don't ride in the city traffic, I avoid riding after dark, I stick to small rural roads, where traffic is thin. My mileage is limited, due to only six months riding a year, too busy skiing the other six. The risk taking also comes into it, with age, I am more cautious, that "what if" seems to ring in my ears more often now.
  6. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Obviously it depends on how you class significant.

No trips to hospital, no written off bikes ?.

So calling that insignificant.

Pete
  7. GordyOZ

GordyOZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    two here, 1983 jumped off bike at about 35mph as a red light runner came through and trashed a Z500 under where I was flying through the air, bike written off and I got a scratch on left pinkie..................... 2006 was rear ended at slow speed by an SUV, I fall, bike falls on me, wife on back seat falls on bike then rolls over me and slaps bum on tarmac which broke her tailbone, I walk away with slightly bruised shoulder and hip, bike was wifes new second hand VX800 suzuki.
  8. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. It is hard to define what is a significant crash. I have needed a mechanic when a delivery van reversed into the bike. I was 100ft away. On the other hand I have needed x-rays, doctors and physicist after falling at walking pace. Hard to classify them as crashes.. but like you said... may be significant to someone.
  9. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Significant should be-can't ride because you're in the hospital,or should be.
  10. Conedodger

Conedodger Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Rear-ended at a yield sign by an inattentive cager. I never fell off, but significant because the bike was totaled due to frame damage.
  11. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats the thing woth bike crashes, you can have a crash without a scratch that might end in a fatality if it was slightly different.
  12. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is so true! I have had few of those years ago. Later you start thinking what-if.

Once went wide on a narrow mountain road. A guard rail saved the day. It was the only one for miles! Another time I rode wide into a ditch. Fortunately it was just cleaned, dry and had no drainage culverts to hit. All 300mm of suspension travel was used that day:-)
  13. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Surprising, but pleasing to see the "none at all" percentage higher than I would have expected.

"None significant" and "One" is about where I thought it would peak, and it has. My guess is that most have a bit of a "wake-up" call, and learn from it.... or end their (motorcycling) days.

Disturbing to see an accident prone few (about 13%) in the multiple crashes groups of "Three or four" and above.
  14. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    Neither the rider nor the deer went to hospital, yet I don't think either of them would consider the crash "insignificant". Interesting.
  15. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with your point in theory, but in practice for a simple poll like this it is better to keep it simple. It is just to get a general idea of how accident prone we are here on ADV Rider.

Observation of those around me suggests that a few people are involved in quite a few accidents, while a large number seldom, crash, if ever.

Right now I work at a university where at least 99% of the students and probably half the staff ride motorcycles daily....... and not an ATGATT among them. I see the odd one turn up on campus a bit bandaged up, but not often. However it does tend to be the same few more than once.

[​IMG]