Black River Stages Rally - Harrisville,NY

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PeterA, Jul 14, 2014.

1. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    Yes the tank held together this time, last one had to be replaced for warrenty .:evil:evil
  2. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Hey chaps- here's a few photos I got: sorry its a FAceBox link, but its pics you know?

https://www.facebook.com/jason.adams.16940599/posts/10154643360075111?notif_t=like

I just went through and compared my times from the same stages from 2011 to this year. Turns out I would have beaten myself, but not by much. I know I must be learning something, but evidentally its not how to be faster :D

Stage 2011 2014

Texas1 7:18 6:58
    Texas2 8:17 8:30
    Texas3 8:52 ...

Jerdan1 9:10 8:58
    Jerdan2 11:02 8:47
    Jerdan3 11:50(nighttime w/o lights)

GooseIn1 5:55 5:51
    GooseIn2 .... 5:58

GooseOut1 6:06 5:46
    GooseOut2 ..... 6:08

Fullervill1 4:55 4:47
    Fullervill2 5:02 5:00

Stage lengths differ only by 1-2 tenths of a mile from year to year.

Wow. I am really surprised at teh consistency.
  3. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Major congrats to Devon for absolutely KILLING it this year. First Canadian, PLUS he swept the whole series.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant season for him.

:clap

dc
  4. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    now that's standing behind your product! :evil:1drink
  5. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    here's a little tutorial on how to take a really fast stage and ride it REALLY slowly. You're welcome.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Gz285bnQ2rY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. GREWUPIN_D11

GREWUPIN_D11 GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer:
    Having ridden the DRZ400E at Magnum Opus, and the BMW F800GS at Black River Stages, I was surprised at how similar my standings in the 'graphs of race closeness' were for the two events, relative to the other riders who competed in both.

Magnum Opus: http://www.nasarallysport.com/results/2014-Magnum-Opus-Rally-Atlantic-RallyMoto-Cup---Overall-Top-20.png
    Black River Stages: http://nasarallysport.com/results/2014-Black-River-Stages-Atlantic-RallyMoto-Cup---Overall-Top-20.png

Seems the higher speed of the BMW on straightaways was compensated for by my willingness to carry higher speeds through the corners on the Suzuki.

Also indicates to me that money spent on rider training will do more to improve speed than would money spent on 'improving' either of the motorcycles.
  7. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you're right. It's not about the bike...as a certain de-throned, world class athlete once said. It's all about the rider. Prior to the rally, I would have guessed my 450 could easily out distance the bomber BMWs. But all the MAX guys and Jason on those big bikes are superb riders. I barely squeaked ahead of them by the end of the rally. A better rider on my 450 probably would have done much more to the time gap. Many times, it's not about the bike, it's about the talent of the rider.

I took a riding school with Shane Watts a few years ago. People were asking him all sorts of questions about suspension and gearing. He quickly got fed up with it and said, "Just ride it!" I think I understand what he meant. It's in the rider, not the machine.

8. LPerry

LPerry n00b-ISH

Oddometer:
    North of Pittsburgh, PA. single track goat trails
    Hi all,
    I had a blast as 'bike 0'.
    Glad to be there and glad to finally have an account on ADV after many attempts to register!

Hello to all the great people I had the pleasure of a chat with at BRS 2014.

Perry
  9. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    Thanks a million Perry! Seriously, that was awesome
  10. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    Thanks for working the event, Perry! Nice to meet you.

11. GREWUPIN_D11

GREWUPIN_D11 GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer:
    Perry, congratulations on post #1! And thanks for all your work in making this and other events happen.
  12. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    videos are coming in.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2kgbzjzusOA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    some prettry good pictures coming in now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete and his KTM mini-bike :rofl
    [​IMG]
  15. mothra

mothra Rally Driver

Oddometer:
    This was my first trip to BRS and the roads are some of the best I have driven. I was driving 000 for the weekend. Hopefully I can make it back on a motorcycle next year. Congratulations to all the riders that finished a tough rally. Good to see old friends and make new ones.
  16. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    My humble submission:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qEu40rz5zEk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  17. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    Well hats off to you sir for another great video. As you said in the beginning I hope I made the right choice. I finished it this time :clap kept the two tires on the ground for most of the time:deal. People like you are what makes these rally's great. I am glad to have been able to hang out with you and the other rally moto crew for a few beer after the race.
    Once again thanks to the volunteers with all their help I think it was a great rally and ran quite smooth.
  18. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    Sweet!

I like the cameo at the end. :D

19. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    I think the left hander at 3:21 is the corner that has caught several of us out in the past. If it is the one I am thinking of there is an opening to a field on the right and on the approach the road looks like it goes straight. Learned the hard way one year...left the bike in the ditch and flipped into the field. Got up..rand back and continued on. I think Aaron did the same thing the next year.
  20. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    Indeed. There are some tracks in the road that indicate other people with issues there. I had to check my speed on the first run through there; I got close to that ditch. I remembered the second time we ran it. :evil