Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. MADSTROM

MADSTROM Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was a balmy 50 degrees yesterday. It only dipped into the lower 40s in one place in the shade.
  2. Mbarr

Mbarr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just thought that I should chime in on the York Swap Meet Auction Sunday. First time attending a swap meet and auction, great event and tons of fun. After two lagers at lunch with some friends, I bought a 1974 Penton 125 Six- Day at the auction. Looks like a museum piece, and I am a little scared to ride it (a fool and his money will soon part). I probably shouldn't take it to my farm, ran ride the heck out of it, but I probably will. I have never ridden a two stroke, sort of like hopping on my leaf blower and hitting the throttle. Lots of bikes, some cheap and some very nice. I don't post much, but couldn't resist.

Mike
  3. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures MADSTROM, especially the last one. 56 is one of my favorite roads in VA. Here's one from before I sold the SV. I never could get the Go Pro mounted in a place where the level of lean was actually noticeable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5jzbp63_eg

Edit: Why won't it embed here?
  4. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will....gotta switch to "Editor mode" before pasting embed code, little a/A box above smiling star....
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k5jzbp63_eg?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
  5. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help.
  6. JHVA

JHVA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, one day after cataract surgery and driving to work was interesting. Getting used to one lens out of my eyeglasses. Will do this for two weeks and then the left eye will get a new lens. The worst of the whole procedure is taking all the drops before the surgery. Looked like an Owl by the time I got there. :D
  7. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision! 40488

Oddometer:
    How were the prices at the auction? Stratospheric? :evil

Houston and I left before 1300.

8. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    Been there last spring and summer . If your vision is as bad as mine get a contact for the old eye. But my old prescription was -10.5. Now I am +.25 in one eye and + 1.25 in the other. To infinity an beyond. I should have asked for minus one. Close work is a bitch. But I can get around without classes if I had too.
  9. AB13

AB13 Ridge Runner

Oddometer:
    Get yourself a No-Toil gas cap for that their well worth the $
  10. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    We need pictures or it didn't happen...

Mike, you're getting the sickness real bad too....That's great!
  11. Mbarr

Mbarr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pete, here are some prices (they seemed fairly reasonable). Of course, that was after a beer or two. Here is a sample: 72 Binelli 175 ($1,750), 74 Elsinore Cr125 ($2,300), 75 Husqvarna 400Cr ($1,650), 69 CZ side pipe ($2,500), 77 Alpina Bultaco ($750), 70 Triumph Rickman Matisse ($7,000 that was the highest price). Most of these bikes were fully restored and went for right around $2,000. The 71 BMW 50/5 in your photos stoppped at $2,500, did not sell, and was one of only 4 bikes with a reserve.

Eddie, you can see my "new to me" bike in Pete's photos. It is the green Penton with #46 on it.
  12. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, someone with worse vision than me. I'm only at -8.5 in both eyes.
  13. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision! 40488

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Good thing I didn't stay. I would have been tempted.

15. higworld

higworld Cheeseburger in Paradise

Oddometer:
    Just got this in email. Several red flags arose. I know about the typical scams via Paypal, but I also know I would buy a bike that way if I could. I told the guy I would be happy to take his PP money, but would need to hold the bike for several weeks while things settled. Thoughts?
  16. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you decide to do the deal, make it clear that you are going to immediately transfer the funds to your bank account. Wait until the PP payment has had a chance to be transferred and your bank has accepted it. Make it absolutely clear that only then would you consider allowing the bike out of your possession.

17. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    with payment in full through PP, the buyer could dispute the transaction, either through PP or an underlying credit card if that was the source of the funds.
  18. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    My thoughts are he should have his family in Falls Church complete the transaction with you. I think I'd want someone to come see it before I accepted more than just a deposit. If I was buying a bike like that, perhaps I'd have to make a trip to VA from CO to visit family and move the bike to family property when the transaction is over. The big flag to me is him asking about delivery. Not sure, could be legit but it smells funny to me.
  19. higworld

higworld Cheeseburger in Paradise

Oddometer:
    Yea ... but what I'm reading is that Paypal can accept a payment reversal up to 40 days afterwards, and will go back to your bank account to get it. Of course, the money will have long gone to a new bike, but ...

I hate having to worry about assholes. I'm thinking that if PP is the payment, then I hold the bike until he flies out to get it in the spring. Grrrr.
  20. BDRichmond

BDRichmond Adv'er

Oddometer:
    Just an idea but if you were open to delivering the bike to falls church, as he requested, then I would suggest you take a small good faith deposit by Paypal before you travel to NOVA and then have him Paypal the balance to his family member in falls church so they could give you cash on delivery... This would reduce your risk of a charge back or dispute...:hmmmmm

BD