Prudoe and Dempster in Aug

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Sheps3, May 24, 2013.

1. Sheps3

Sheps3 n00b

Oddometer:
    Headed to Prudoe and Inuvik in August from Charleston,SC. Any weather reports for that time frame?
  2. AndrewT

AndrewT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hot, cold, dry, and wet. Inuvik had 90s in mid-June this past year. Little to no darkness in the forecast however. Enjoy!
  3. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
  4. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    What bike and more importantly what tires? For the Dempster that is. If wet it can get interesting. Just saying.:deal
  5. Simmesim

Simmesim *

Oddometer:
    funny you cann't find the forecast for the upcoming weather in August it's just 3 months away. But maybe I will see you on the road. We will be there end of july
  6. marbee40

marbee40 Some Fear is Good

Oddometer:
    The weather can change hourly on the Dempster. When it turns to rain, you'd better have knobbies. Either way its a spectacular ride !
  7. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Last year when I rode the dalton , only up till Coldfoot. The only time it rain was in the morning ONLY on the paved section .but weird, once I hit the dirt. It was either dry or a bit sluggish only. But I. The way back to Fairbanks around evening, I was nice and sunny.

This was the last week of August 2012. Don't let the Dalton scare you. It's not...that bad.
  8. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    Asking for a weather forecast at high latitudes, much more than 24 hours in advance (and very often on even shorter time scales) is futile due to the rapidly changing weather patterns in those areas of the globe. As previously eluded to you should plan for the temperature to be between 30F and 90F with rain, sleet, snow, overcast, and severe sun.
  9. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    You gotta be prepared for just about anything, the average summer temp in Barrow is 36F.
    I heard in Anchorage they just got 6 inches of snow May 17.

The interior will be hot and dry and chances hitting smoke from fires is likely as well.
  10. Sheps3

Sheps3 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. Riding GSA with scouts for tread. Former Alaskan but have not passed the Brooks Range during that time or up to Inuvik. I am planning on lots of liquid sunshine though!
  11. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Sheps3, I'm leaving with a friend in Aug also from Atl to go up there. He's a crazy guy and doing in on a GSXR, I will be on a Vstrom.
  12. Stkmkt1

Stkmkt1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm headed up to Deadhorse myself, arriving on July 8th. Have a fun, safe trip. And pictures would be great too.
  13. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Pics of his gsxr
  14. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    doing some local dirt roads in GA

[​IMG]

Here is is in Baja
    [​IMG]
  15. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Nice !

Is he on this forum. Would like to see how he have his saddle bags hooked up
  16. murphyKTM

murphyKTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    following this thread, I will be in Fairbanks July 15 approx., looking at riding or taking bus to Arctic Circle. I am on a borrowed bike, so being a bit more careful than on my KTM back in New Zealand, or at least I will try to be:evil. I hope to met some fellow travelers along the way. But not head on, I must learn to stay on the right (wrong for me) side of the road!!
  17. Sheps3

Sheps3 n00b

Oddometer:
    How sweet will that GSXR look with knobbies on it! Hope to see you on the road. How far are you going?
  18. Zpower

Zpower Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'LL do Fairbank's -Prudhoe around the firts week of august , i'll came from Calgary and make stop at Dawson and see if i do the Dempster to Innuvick before . If we can meet somewhere no problemo !
  19. selkins

selkins Gotta light?

Oddometer:
    I rode to Inuvik last year, was on the Dempster the last few days of August. Linky to my ride report.

I suggest DEFINITELY go in late August or very early September. That's the fall colors season in the Arctic, and it really is fantastic. You may hit some snow but just keep an eye on the forecast and treat the road with respect, IMHO.

Here's the sort of colors and fun you see that time of year on the Dempster:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one from Top of the World Highway:

[​IMG]
  20. Zpower

Zpower Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doing the Dalton or the Dempster with Heideneau scout is it good enought if it rain a lots .