It's about time you did something about that airhead.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by kbasa, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    feeling inspired? :evil
    I'm glad youre doing this, as well.

I really like the damage scars. - Not on you, on the bike...

Good luck. I'll be watching.

Real pretty bike.
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Yours is barely broken in, Al,it needs a trip to Alaska or some such thing.
  3. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The shoulder still gets sore on damp, wet days like today, but otherwise, no visible scars.

I just read Mikewarax's resurrection thread. I shouldn't have looked. :bluduh

Project scope creep forecasted.
  4. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    I can totally relate! I've got bikes like that - one's a 90S a friend brought home in boxes and took two years rebuilding. I got it 7 years ago just before he died. He had painted it a nice blue (not knowing much about 90Ss) and I have a hard time deciding whether to leave it or repaint it Daytona Orange.

Yours is a beautiful bike, and if it was running well with low miles, I'd just lube the splines and put it back together. These bikes are easy enough to work on, so don't fix it if it aint broke! It's easy enough to paint the frame with engine and trans in so just leave it together. The more stuff you take off, the longer runway you'll make for yourself and it'll be next winter or the summer after before you can enjoy it again.
  5. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Is it actually easy to paint the frame with the engine in it? That seems counterintuitive.
  6. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, once you get all the intake, exhaust and footpeg stuff out of the way, it's pretty easy to mask the motor off with kraft paper and tape. I really only need to get the lower portion of the frame, especially back on the left side where an acid spill uglied up the little sideplate.

The swingarm took a bit of the shot, too.

Before Greg had this bike, it had been hit by a car in a full on Tbone accident. The frame got replaced, so I've got one of those CHP blue tags on the headstock. The bike still shows some scars from that incident. The alternator cover is pushed in on one side. The right side jug is different than the left side jug. (There are differences in jugs at the point where they contact the case. Some have a little web like growth and some don't. I've got one of each on this bike). The seat has a big patch on it where some vinyl was glued on to cover a huge rip. I'm going to leave most of it, but the seat has to get replaced. I'm still looking for an 84 seat. It has a unique pattern, as you can see in the pictures.

[​IMG]
  7. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    The seat isn't an 84 only item - it was called the 'comfort' seat. I wonder if the dealer sells replacement covers?
  8. word1

word1 Can you repeat the question?

Oddometer:
    +1. Repair the damage and address the stuff that bothers you. Direct your energy towards getting the machine road worthy. It's so easy to see every flaw, and before you know it the entire machine is in pieces. You'll be back for more work later... you know you will! :lol3

I do agree on the spline lube. That's maintenance, and this is the perfect time for it.

A machine can only be original once, and I like the patina of wear and use. After nearly totalling my R100RS, I only replaced what was broken. I kept worn but undamaged parts, and even kept a few marks to remind me of what we've been through.

Good on ya!

_jay
  9. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    The stories keep coming out :lol3

What ELSE has happened? I like the two-different-jug concept. Like every part has a history behind it. That thing is already a novel. :deal
  10. McB

McB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is reupholstering the seat not an option?
  11. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    If I can get a cover for it, I'd have some local joint put some new foam on it. I guess I should look a little harder for a cover,huh?

:lol3
  12. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    No kidding, huh? That's why i want to be kind of careful and not get rid of too much of the history, but still have it look good. I want it to look good, but when I'm adjusting the valves or changing the oil or whatever, I see these little imperfections that lead me back to the story this bike has lived.

While they help tell the story, the headlight ears are gonna get replaced, too. They're all dented to crap and have some kind of brake fluid scars all over them. This bike got hurt when it got hit.

[​IMG]
  13. McB

McB Long timer

Oddometer:
    A good shop should be able to come close to replicating the original cover in your choice of materials. I had side panels replaced on a GTI seat, and you couldn't tell the difference.
  14. mutineer

mutineer pierpont lives

Oddometer:
    sausage boy

give me a call

can't see pics from work, but if the seat is full vinyl I got something for you

if it is the cowled CS seat

I got nothing
  15. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... Do you think they can match the pleating the stock seat came with? It's not really pleating so much as a thermal crimp on the vinyl cover. The pattern is important to me.

Of course, the foam is totally shot and the seat frame cuts into the back of my legs, so I've been considering just buying a new seat from Siebenrock.
  16. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:

It's got a cowl. CS/RS/RT style. I think the current seat is a 'comfort seat' based on some very helpful comments here.
  17. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:

When do we leave?:freaky
  18. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're going to replace those, then I might suggest installing a billet upper triple clamp while you've got it all apart. It's the single best handling mod you can make to an Airhead, and costs much less than a new fridge.:deal

We need to do an Airhead track day, Dave.
  19. Cogswell

Cogswell Road General

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at These replacement covers for mine. Have not seen one in the flesh yet so I don't know how close to original they are.

Mike
  20. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    I was looking at those this morning. They're close, but the CS LE has a special cover, which is proving problematic. I think I'm going to wait on the seat and see what I can find used. If worse comes to worst, I'll go with either a seat cover or a Siebenrock repro.