WV Historical Markers - Let's Find All 700

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by pnoman, Nov 16, 2008.

1. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    The hands/wrists are doing much better after the fall, and the bee sting is about 90% healed. I'm beginning to feel like a human being again. :D

Thanks for asking.
  2. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
    On our way to Canada, and we certainly can't take the interstates. I spot this on the courthouse lawn in Union.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A "Fire-Eater", you can read a bio here. He didn't get his flag until the General needed it.

A Sheriff's Deputy kindly guided us to the cemetery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Chip & Martha! Looks like a brand spankin' new one, based on the inscription at the bottom - Sons of Confederate Veterans, 2011. :D

I will add it to the list and update the spreadsheet soon.

Looking forward to your ride report from Canada.
  4. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    I just received an email from Joe Gieger, Director of the WV Dept of Archives & History:

I’ve added the Miles marker to the database but it may take a few days to show up. Couple of others in the works. An Adena Burial Mound just went up in New Martinsville (should be downtown near the river) and an Alum Creek on WV 214 off Corridor G near Charleston. Thanks and best wishes, Joe

Looks like we have a couple of new ones to search out. :D
  5. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Marker Spreadsheet is (finally) updated! :D

See link below in signature block.
  6. cleanair

cleanair Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like this one needs to be replaced.

Attached Files:

7. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn Mountain Fan

Oddometer:
    BTW, Miles came up with the familiar Confederate "battle flag" in order to remove Christian symbols , ironically, due to the objection of a certain Jewish confederate official and secondly, to help distinguish it more easily from the Union "battle flags".
  8. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Yes, this one (located on Rt 39 east of Marlinton, at the east end of a small bridge) is one of the Top 3 in the state in need of replacement.
  9. roadkilleddog

roadkilleddog WV native

Oddometer:
    Don't believe anyone has posted this one yet. Thought I'd better get at least one. On my way to Washington state in a few days. Looks like I'll be there for a while so here goes.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  10. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Thanks!! Is this the one located on Rt 2 about 4 miles south of Ravenswood?

I will update the spreadsheet.

Have a safe trip to WA.
  11. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    I was in Arthurdale (just west of Kingwood) on 13 Aug 2011 and stopped by the Visitor Center. Lo and behold, down in the flower bed next to the entrance was a marker - Preston County / Maryland. The Visitor Center was closed, so I could not ask anyone about it. There are several markers like this that are missing or were just recently replaced, from the borders on Rt 7, Rt 219, and Rt 50. I don't know the original location of this one, but will do a little research.

UPDATE: This marker was replaced in 2013 at the Rt 7 / Preston County- Maryland State Line location - see Post #1382 on Page 93.

[​IMG]
    Side #1.

[​IMG]
    Side #2

[​IMG]
    Located in the flower bed next to the entrance of the Arthurdale Visitor Center. (Yes, I was in the cage today.)

ALSO: One of the nearby markers was repainted and moved to a much better spot - Click here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9902444&postcount=397

12. roadkilleddog

roadkilleddog WV native

Oddometer:

That's the one. Thanks!
  13. cliffhanger

cliffhanger hasbeen

Oddometer:
    Looks like Tucker County is replacing some old or missing markers. I remember this marker being here when I moved here in the 80's. It's been gone for some time now. Saw it last night coming home from a two week ride.

This is half way between Davis and Canaan Heights on Rt 32.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Good one! This one was listed as "Missing". I will update the spreadsheet ASAP.

Please continue to send in photos of any markers that appear to be new or newly-repainted. I will try to keep the spreadsheet updated.

Thanks!!!
  15. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    UPDATE FROM POST #1178 (Page 79)

Click Here To View

[​IMG]
    File Photo - Posted 20 April 2010)

UPDATE: I received an email with some interesting information on this marker. She also sent 2 photos/scans (including an old hand-drawn map), which are posted below. Thanks, Alisa!

Hi, I saw your post on the Adventure Rider website (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407164&page=79) about the Three Springs Church historical marker in Weirton, WV. You mentioned historic notes.

My husband is a descendant of James Campbell, who donated the land for the church in 1790, and we have an old map (drawn in 1959) of the church land and cemetery. I attached a scan for you.

By all accounts, nothing remains of the church or cemetery, and I can't tell by looking at modern maps how exactly the 1959 map lines up with modern streets. The only clear road is Pennsylvania Avenue, with a note that in 1959 the church and cemetery were "- Now - Weirton (Heights) W.VA. rear of firehouse + Weirton HGH'S Pharmacy." I don't think the firehouse and pharmacy are there anymore.

I have attached a Google image of the corner of Pennsylvania Ave. and S. 17th Street in Weirton. You can just make out the historical marker you photographed on the left-hand side of the photo. I think the two-story building on the corner of 17th Street & Pennsylvania Ave. looks like it could have been a firehouse in 1959. It has a wide opening (now two windows and a door) right next to a regular door. It's also south of the maker, which is where the marker says the church was located.

The Three Springs Church was part of an early 19th century movement called "The Great Awakening," characterized by spirited "revivals" held in churches, and sometimes around campfires. The movement was influenced by a Pennsylvania minister named Alexander Campbell. He was no relation to James Campbell, but James and the other members of the Three Springs Church may have been what other churches called "Campbellites." Many people were baptized at night in the Ohio River - even in Winter! (I've got some other family letters that mention Campbellite meetings in the area in the 1850s.) The followers didn't like the name "Campbellite;" they called themselves "Disciples of Christ." Anyway, in 1920 one of James' great-grandsons wrote a letter describing the Three Springs Church. I have not corrected his creative spelling.

The old Three Springs
    Presbyterian Church was on this land and the unmarked grave of Great
    Grandfather is near the site of this church of which he was a member. And all
    other graves of the cemetery once in the woods have been plowed over and the
    land cultivated. This church was the scene of what was called “The Great
    Falling Down.” After a large protracted meeting, people became so excited as to
    fall down in a kind of epileptic fit and had the jerks so that their hair was
    said to crack like whips, but it died out and it never had a recurrence and the
    church moved to a new location and two churches now originated in this old
    pioneer church, one in Hollidays Cove, the other in Paris, Pennsylvania. This
    old church building was in ruins when I first passed it, when not more than
    four or five years old, which I did with quick step lest some of the ghosts
    that some of my superstitious ancesters told me lurked about old deserted
    churches should attack me. When last I visited the graves of my grandparents
    and saw the desolation, it seemed to me as if all the solemn voices of nature
    were singing a sad requiem over the fallen dead. The man that cannot be
    impressed by such scenes bring up memories of the past must have a flinty
    sensibilities.

- written by John P. Campbell (1831-1930)

Can you send me a citation for your marker photos? I'm not planning on publishing them, but I am making prints for my husband's family, and I like to be sure they know where everything comes from.

Alisa

[​IMG]
    (Note: Marker is visible to the left, behind the stop sign - Mike Elyard - pnoman)

[​IMG]
    (Note: I believe the marker is situated at the top of this map, above the drawing of the church, looking south toward the white oak tree - Mike Elyard - pnoman)
  16. wvhistoryteach

wvhistoryteach n00b

Oddometer:
    I just want to thank everyone that has worked on this project for providing a great educational service. I teach 8th grade WV Studies, and my students have benefited greatly from your website. I've been able to show students the markers for various historic events that we've covered in class. An extra thank you for providing images of the locations mentioned in the markers in many of your posts.

Thank you!
  17. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Thanks - and "Yes" to using any/all photos and information in this thread. Glad to help your students learn more about WV History.

And another "Thank You" to all of the ADV Riders who contributed to this project.

I sent you an email with more info.
  18. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bravo Mike for your starting that project. Whodathunked it'd become an educational tool to boot. You are to be commended for your efforts to see it through. :clap
  19. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
    It never ceases to awe me, the amazing powers of perception that Martha commands.

Business trip, Martha's riding shotgun in the work cage. I've got it on cruise, headed toward the center of the universe, daydreaming. "There's a marker" interrupts my dream, I close down on the binders. Short on perception, but my reflexes are still ok.

I've looked the spreadsheet over, from the first post, and didn't see it listed. It would have been akin to blasphemy for us to go through with the schtick, we'll try to get a couple sets of handlebars next to it later this year.

Nicholas County, Mountaineer Expressway (rt 19) South bound lane, Whipporwill Rd, about 1/2 mile South of the Summersville Lake bridge.

"Hawks Nest Tunnel Disaster Workers Grave Site"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Chip/Martha - Great find! Looks like a newly minted 2011 marker. That's just about 1/4 mile away from the Hughes Ferry Bridge marker on Old Rt 19, about 200 yards off the opposite side of the 4-lane. This one looks much closer to the 4-lane.

Seems odd they would put this one here when the original marker site was near Hawks Nest SP on Rt 60, about 25 miles away. But, after reading it closer, this marker is different from the original one. The original marker did not have the workers grave site mentioned in the title or text. This must be where the workers were re-buried.

I'll be sure to update the spreadsheet as soon as possible. I will also shoot Joe Geiger a quick email heads-up.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive while I'm bikeless.

Mike