Heated Clothing - exo² The Heat Inside

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Davis W, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Davis W

Davis W exo² The Heat Inside

Oddometer:
    Hi guys and gals,

I wanted to introduce myself and see if I could be of assistance. I work with exo² The Heat Inside and have seen a few posts in which people are asking about our products. I thought that I would give you some insight into our technology so that you know what makes us different from other heated clothing manufacturers. We have both UK and US divisions and sell the products all over the world (I am in the US).

At exo² our heated clothing uses FabRoc™ and ThermoKnitt heating technologies that are unique, 21st century fabrics that produce heat when low voltage is applied. These “smart” fabrics differ significantly from the older "conductive-wire" or "carbon fiber" based technologies in that they create uniform heated surfaces with no hot spots. By regulating the voltage, FabRoc™ will heat to pre-defined temperatures (up to 130° F depending on the product, power source and electrical configuration).
    These fabrics can be heated by a variety of power sources (rechargeable batteries, 12v accessory outlets, direct connection to motorcycle, ATV, etc. batteries, and even 120v household current with a convertor). FabRoc™ employs Positive Temperature coefficient (PTC) technology which means that once the material reaches the desired temperature, it self-regulates by drawing less electrical current until power is again required.

The FabRoc™ material itself is virtually indestructible. It has a rubber-like structure that is flexible enough to be configured into almost any shape. Additionally, freezing temperatures have no effect on the flexibility of the fabric which makes it ideal for heated clothing as well as a broad range of other commercial applications. Unlike wire-based or carbon fiber heating systems, FabRoc™ continues to operate even if it is slit or torn, with NO POSSIBILITY OF SHORT CIRCUITING.

Currently our offerings include heated Jackets, Vests, Gloves, Mittens, Insoles, Back Supports, and more…plus all the accessories that you need to customize your install/application. You can find out more about our technology and our products at our website http://www.exo2theheatinside.com

<o:p> </o:p>
    I am happy to answer questions (or find you an answer), provide testimonials and product information if anyone needs it. We are very proud of the exo² line of heated clothing and appreciate the support that we have received from the Adventure Rider community!

Thank you,
    Davis W
    exo² The Heat Inside &#8211; Heated Clothing
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've emailed Dave a few times about his product, and, he seems like a really straight up guy to deal with. His product is the best out there, and, the vest I had briefly proved just how good it is.

This is normal looking, feeling heated gear, with no wires that is very comfortable. The technology is 21st century, rather than 20th like everyone else gives us (Well, Wayne, in the "Dear Motoport" thread mentioned he's got heated gear coming out. we'll see what he comes up with!).

Build quality is on par with high end gear. Think nice light jacket you'd actually wear off the bike making it that much more versatile.

Dave, when is that full heated jacket coming out?:evil As of now, you'd have no competition on the jacket. I don't know anyone that prefers a vest to a jacket. Just make sure the zipper isn't going to rub my neck raw. :lol3

ADV discount?

Jim
  3. Davis W

Oddometer:
    Jim,

Thanks for your kind words and continued support for our products and technology. While gearing up for the upcoming fall and winter seasons, we have also been very busy developing new products for powersports and other industries. The StormRider Jacket (with heated sleeves and a heated collar) is in development but the release date has not yet been determined.

We are unfortunately not able to offer a group discount to ADV due to our MAP policy, our distributor agreements and our desire to support the 13,500 US dealers who will carry our products in 2009-2010.

Stay warm, ride safely and we’ll certainly post widely the introduction of the StormRider Jacket when it’s ready for distribution.

Davis
  4. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Can you use a standard heat controller with this?

I prefer vests, btw. :norton
  5. DirtRiderwjc2000

DirtRiderwjc2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the gloves and vest. I did not know how cold I used to get w/o any heated gear.

I rode in single digits last winter many times.
  6. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    Very--uh--cool. :lol3

The Gerbings still has some life left in it, but I like your value proposition. I'll give it a try next time around. Any idea whether the draw is low enough so as not to shut of BMW's CANBUS?
  7. PackMule

Oddometer:

Isn't the CANBUS shutoff at 5amps? The vest stated a 4.something draw IIRC. I wire my vest lead straight to the battery, though, and save the outlet for GPS, etc.
  8. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have a Canadian distributor?
  9. FrostedFlake

FrostedFlake Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Oddometer:
    I've been very impressed with the quality and feel of my StormRider vest. Picked up a new controller from an inmate on Flea Market and couldn't be happier. I'm sure the jacket will be cool, but for me, a vest is all I want or need under my current riding jacket. Now the gloves, someday I want to give those a try...
  10. Davis W

Oddometer:
    PackMule,
    While it’s not our practice to recommend the use of other appliances with our gear, we do know that many customers use other controllers with no reported ill effects (as long as they have the correct connections and are powered by a 12 volt system).

Ikonoklass,
    One of the primary benefits of our FabRoc™ heat technology is its efficiency rating. For instance, our StormRider Bodywarmer (with heated chest/abdomen, upper back and lower back areas), draws only 4.1 amps. Our StormShield gloves draw 0.6 amps each. Both garments in our StormWalker collection draw only 0.6 amps each as well. Here is a link to our TechCenter which will give you more technical information on our products. http://www.exo2theheatinside.com/TechCenter/<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p><o:p></o:p>
    JTT,
    Yes, we distribute to Canadian powersport dealers through Motovan, Canada’s largest powersports parts and accessories distributor.
    <o:p> </o:p><o:p>
    </o:p>
    Thanks for the great comments on the quality and performance of our gear!
    Davis
  11. PackMule

Oddometer:

Thanks. My widder has served me very well over the years but is finally getting long in the tooth. I like the "all over" heat of your design. The price is reasonable, especially so if I don't need to get a different controller. :thumb
  12. Davis W

Oddometer:
    I truly think that you will love our gear. Give it a shot!

Davis
  13. Davis W

Oddometer:
    Alright guys...time for me to ask you a question.

We are working diligently on our new heated jacket and heated leg wear. If you were making the decisions, what would the ultimate heated jacket and heated leg wear look like?

Thanks!
  14. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    waterproof/windproof. That would include waterproof zippers, and, could be used as a waterproof layer, if needed. Shorter collar than the warm n safe/Gerbings, and/or with a small piece of fabric over the top of the zipper. it always rubs my neck raw because of where it sits. Also, the zipper on my wns always works it's way down an inch or so.
    Outlast on the face fabric. keep it looking relatively normal looking to use as a normal jacket. Gerbings and w n s are too goofy looking to wear alone.
    adjustment straps on the sides at waist and chest to adjust fit. That way it doesn't need to be always tight for heat transfer. Again, making it more useful off the bike.
  15. Davis W

Oddometer:
    Jim,

Excellent feedback! Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have sent your comments to our development team.

Thanks,
    Davis
  16. Callicles

Callicles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like a set of heated gear that was a base layer to be worn underneath my normal motorcycle clothing. Some sort of lycra spandex or other high tech cloth layer. I would think that the voltage would have to be less as it it works in tandem with the warmth material.

I have a nice set of convertible clothing so a comfortable heated base layer would be ideal.
  17. Davis W

Oddometer:
    Jim,

I was speaking with the product development group this morning and thought it might be helpful to tell you a little more about our existing products and how they might fit your needs right now. Info below.

The exo² vests and jacket are made with the patented AirXtream® outer fabric which is a three layer (but super thin) windproof, waterproof and moisture wicking fabric that not only works, but looks stylish and &#8216;of the times&#8217; as well. Our StormRider bodywarmer is made without a collar, serving well as an active mid-layer (but is often worn by itself with only a light shirt underneath in more moderate conditions). Our products have an overlapping zipper system to prevent air and moisture from penetrating directly to the under-layer. http://www.exo2theheatinside.com/airxtream.php

As a testament to the look and style of our StormWalker line, 40% of all sales are to customers who don&#8217;t ride motorcycles but use the garments for work, outdoor leisure activities, etc. Both the StormWalker Jacket and Vest have adjusting straps on the side so that you can cinch the heat as close as you want or let it hang more loosely in less severe conditions. Also, all of our vests and jacket can be powered by direct connection to the bike&#8217;s electrical system and/or via our portable 14.8 volt lithium-ion batteries. Comfort, style and flexibility &#8211; The exo² StormWalker Line.

Hope that helps,
    Davis
  18. Davis W

Oddometer:
    Callicles,

We at exo² could not agree more. Our StormRider Bodywarmer is made for this very purpose. It is cut a little shorter (so it doesn’t hang out underneath your outer jacket), has no collar (so there’s no collar on collar fight) and it is sleeveless. For 2010, we are producing a StormRider Jacket which will have heated sleeves and a heated collar but we still envision this garment serving primarily as an active mid-layer. We are also presently speaking with a few armored jacket and chest protector manufacturers about integrating our FabRoc™ technology into their designs so stay tuned for even more options in 2010.

Our AirXtream® outer fabric is a windproof, waterproof, moisture wicking fabric which not only looks stylish and compliments the heat being generated inside, it prevents the user from sweating. Regarding draw, our StormRider Bodywarmer (with full heat over the chest and abdomen, upper back and lower back areas) only draws 4.1 amps on a 12 volt system. Be sure to check out our entire line at www.theheatinside.com.
  19. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    This outer fabric and the heating technology sounds ideal for motorcycle use, especially when traveling.

I own a Warm-n-safe jacket that I really like, much more than my previous Gerbing vest. But due to the weird feel of the wires and lack of wind/water-proofing I always have to carry an additional windstopper fleece in my luggage for when I am off the bike. I would definitely switch over when your Stormrider jacket comes out with heated sleeves and collar.

Some features I would like to see:

- a similar max heat output to the 100 Watts of the WnS
    - soft and non-abrasive fabric in the collar
    - connectors for gloves in the sleeve ends (not sure if this is possible with your technology)
    - air vents so it can really be worn in warmer weather as well
    - good looks so it can be worn by itself
    - adjustable elastic cords

Sounds like you have most of those covered, so let us know when you make progress on the jacket. :freaky

Lukas
  20. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    I've got a 20 year old Gerbing (the one made out of quilted nylon if anyone remembers them .. sales reps at their rally booths don't even recognize it) that just keeps on working but I almost always wear a Gore Windstopper jacket over it to keep the warm air from getting blown away by the leaks in the riding jacket. I too want just as has been described above, the two integrated into one nice unit. I have been looking at the Aerostitch one but no connectors for heated gloves for one thing and I just haven't felt confident enough to pull the trigger on one. I have read a lot about your vest in the last year or two and think it sounds great but never bought one as I want the heated sleeves.

Put me down as one of your first buyers when the new jacket is finally released.