F800gs...Touring screens? you got one ? Lets us see um!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighTechCoonass, Nov 13, 2008.

1. simtrax

simtrax n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I'm quite pleased myself. Too bad i only got to use it one time. Now we got all this white stuff on the ground.
    But i most certainly have toys for this kind of weather as well.

Alright, really sorry i did'nt take pics along the way. Was'nt that hard actually. Took a couple of hours.

Started out with making a copy of the original screen, on paper. I just held the paper on the inside of the screen and drew around it with a pen.
    Soon i got a pretty god copy of the original screen. I also made sure to draw a line where the sharp bends was, on each side of the screen. So i could paint the same line on the new Plexiglas.. (I dont know if it's called plexiglas in english, but i'll call it that any way. Hope you get the idea)

So now i have the paper piece, cut it out with whatever you have. Place the thing on your piece of plexi.
    I then drew on the plexi with a whiteboard pen. Really easy to erase with your finger if you screw up.

So now that i had the outlines on the piece of plexi i could start experimenting with the new look.
    Since i had my brothers R1200 GSA screen i used that as a reference.
    Made my new screen a little bit smaller, lowered it a couple of centimeters and the same with the width.
    Would be huge otherwise.

Now it's time for the jigsaw. We used a metal blade, on really slow speed, didnt want to crack the plexi.
    To make sure the plexi would not melt when using the jigsaw we took the air compressor thingy, and blew air right at were we sawed. This worked great, didnt try without tough. So could work without it.

Now it was sauna time, we took the f8 sceen and the GSA screen with us into the sauna.
    We were equipped with thick gloves and a towels.
    I took the piece of plexi and held it above the warmer in the sauna, dont know the name. You get the picture.
    Moved it around a bit, flipped it around warmed the other side and so on.
    After maybe 60 seconds i felt it getting soft, we then moved fast and pressed it against the F8 screen, trying the get a good copy of it.
    If you dont got 6 or 7 hands, you really need to be a couple of dudes doing this ( or girls).
    So we all pressed at our each place. Making sure to hold it in place.
    We placed the plexi on top of the F8 screen, or i can say we put the plexi on the front side of the screen.

We had to warm the thing a couple of times to get it right.
    When we felt ready we then took the GSA screen and pressed the top of the plexi piece on it. Getting the upper top of the shape first, and working our way down.
    Took a couple of turns warming it.

After a while in the sauna we felt ready. And it looked good!
    Only thing left was drilling holes (carefully) and mounting the new screen!

Hope this was what you asked for. Otherwise, let me know.
  2. TAMPAJIM

TAMPAJIM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From past experience I would judge you are going to need a brace for that screen. I got one of the original Cee Bailey 20" screens and even though it was made of pretty thick acrylic, it shook like a wet noodle. (got to be hard on the attachment points !) About 6 months later, CB came out with a brace for it that was very similar to the BMW offering.

Both cost too much money so I didn't get one.

I didn't care for the CB ( shaking and vacuum problems) so I went with Madstad and was happy ever after.
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    I can't remember who does it, but some of the windscreens wrap tightly around the headlight and pick up two extra mounting points where the headlight is bolted on ... maybe the ZTechnic? I can't recall.............
  4. simtrax

simtrax n00b

Oddometer:
    I have taken a brace in consideration. Wouldnt be to hard for me making one.

But when i tried the screen out i did around 130 kph, the screen shook a little bit, but it wasnt that bad. Since i seldom run that fast i think it will be ok.
    If the shaking gets worse ill make a brace.
    The plexi i used is 4 mm thick.
  5. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'10" 30inch inseam. The Wunderlich works great for highway and backroads. I find it does flop around too much when the going gets rough, so in the case I go on a summer adventure ride where I ride on mostly dirt roads, I will take the vario off, and put the stocker back on.
  6. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  7. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just heard back from Joe at Cee Bailey's. The new windscreen for the 2013 F800GS is almost complete. Here is his message back to me today:

Andrew,

We have the bike and it is currently under production. There will be a standard and enhanced version, if all goes well it should be on the site by 1-18-2013. IÂ’ve attached a few proto pictures for the enhanced version. The finished shields will vary and itÂ’s just a formality for right now but weÂ’re heading down the stretch.

Regards,

Joe & Staff

Montebello, CA 90640
    www.ceebaileys.com
    Phone: (800) 788-0618 x337

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Lager Meister

Lager Meister Work less, ride more

Oddometer:
    The V-Stream attaches to the headlight mounts as you described. After trying the Wunderlich Vario (with the added deflector), the Cee Bailey's Enhanced 18" and 20" and now the V-Stream tall screen, I can say without a doubt that the V-Stream provides the cleanest airflow of the three.

I have the Aeroflow short offroad screen on order for my off road excursions. All of the large touring screens bounce around too much for my liking when things get rough. YMMV
  9. JRWooden

Oddometer:

Thanks ... I think they changed the design of the V-Stream a while back to look less alien-head? :lol3
    I'll look at them again ... website is down at the moment... hope that's not a sign of bad things............
  10. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cee Bailey's has completed the work to get the 2013 version ready. It's available to order now. :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    I use the Wunderlich Vario on my mostly highway rides and it works very well. But I completely agree with you that it bounces around too much on off road stuff. I can ride with the Wunderlich at 80 mph with the helmet visor open.

12. Lager Meister

Oddometer:
    It's funny how the same screen can work perfectly for one guy and be an absolute failure for the next guy. At 80 mph with the Vario it felt like my eyeballs were going to rattle out of my head. Adding the deflector helped some, but not enough.

I installed the Aeroflow short off road screen today. There's absolutely zero helmet buffeting with this screen.. my helmet is completely in clean air flow. Only downside is wind blast on the upper chest and shoulders on the highway. I'm going to try this one for a while and see if I can live with it.
  13. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Zaner & Lager ...

Would you guys mind posting your heights?

To state what is likely obvious to all ....
    height (actually height from top of helmet to the ground in seated position to be more precise)
    is probably the factor most responsible for differing opinions of the same shield...

Shorter guys being the easier to please :lol3
  14. OnkelPopanz

OnkelPopanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Lager

Do you use the shortest sport screen?

Tapatalk
  15. Lager Meister

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam... so slightly longer legs / shorter torso than average for my height.

The other thing that can make a big difference in the amount of helmet buffeting is the distance between the top edge of the screen and your helmet. The further back your helmet is from the screen, the worse the buffeting gets. Two or three inches can make a huge difference. (That's what she said)

I'm sure that was part of the reason why the Vario didn't work for me. The shape of the Vario with all the sharp angular edges and the steep upright angle of the screen probably didn't help much either. The V-Stream and even the Cee Bailey's have a more rounded, aerodynamic shape and a much more swept back angle which produces cleaner airflow. The V-Stream is wider at the top compared to the Cee Bailey's so the bubble of clean air behind the screen is wider.
  16. Lager Meister

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have the shortest one. It barely covers the instrument cluster.
  17. OnkelPopanz

OnkelPopanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This one I have, too. For getting a lower noise level it works well.
    But there is very low wind protection at all.
    Did you also try the middle sized sport screen?

Tapatalk
  18. Lager Meister

Oddometer:
    No, the short one is the only one I've tried. I just got it last week. I'm thinking about trying all three heights to see which one works best for me.

My highest priority is getting the lowest possible noise level. Wind protection is secondary. I expect my situation is different from most others.
    Stymitshinks likes this.
  19. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    If I get a chance to try to Aeroflow I will. It surely sounds like a winner. I'm sure there's a guy with an F800 in my area that would potentially have one. I might borrow it.
  20. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:

I'm 5'10" 30 " inseam. So I guess i'm taller in the torso area. My helmet is an Arai XD3. I ride with a Touratech touring seat (normal height) and Rox risers. I dunno if that would make any difference...:ricky:jump