Quad Biking in Antarctica

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by travelingaustralian, May 11, 2013.

1. travelingaustralian

travelingaustralian Globe Trotting

Oddometer:

Thanks, I'll try keep the pictures coming. Will be busy for the next couple weeks getting gear ready for this traverse so might not have as much time to upload pictures. But they will come. :clap
  2. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hadn't dropped by this thread for a while. Like quite a few others, I find it fascinating. Sure the adventures may be on four wheels, or tracks, but the OP owns a two wheeler, and is an adventure biker at heart. Thanks again for pictures of day trips and daily life from where few get to venture..... Keep them coming when you have the time to post.
  3. travelingaustralian

Oddometer:
    Just received an email from my parents. More parts have arrived for my RTW bike. Can't wait to build it when I get home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:clap:clap:clap
  4. travelingaustralian

Oddometer:
    Had a beautiful clear night tonight so I braved the cold and grabbed some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. RobN.

RobN. A little Odd

Oddometer:
    Of the frozen south.

Wintered '83 - '84 at McMurdo. :vardy

Once in a lifetime adventure, wish I had more & better pics.

RobN.
  6. travelingaustralian

Oddometer:
    No problems glad you like the pictures. You were down in Antarctica the same year my father worked down here. Just at different sides of the continent.
  7. 47ohv

47ohv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mate,
    Great posts :clap Keep them coming. You are a lucky man. Be safe, and may Gods angels watch over you and your co workers :norton
    Mark D
    Upstate, SC
    USA
  8. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    does al gore know your down there with those bikes???
  9. travelingaustralian

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow is mid winter's. For us and most Antarctic base's there will be some sort of celebrations to mark the longest day of night. As today is my birthday the station agreed to do the mid winters swim a day early so I could take the plunge. Yesterday we spent the afternoon cutting a hole into the sea ice which was just over a meter thick ready for the swim today. I was first up being the birthday boy. If you look closely the water has a layer of grease ice. We were having to scrape the surface after each jump.

The pictures were taken by one of the other expeditioners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeez. Bet the extremities shrunk a bit!!
  11. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    ...to this thread. I moved to Christchurch, NZ only to find the Antarctic Center here, and realize that it might be possible to get a job down there. The thread has sold me; I will do my best to get DOWN THERE while I'm down here.

Outstanding story, photos, and insights - even if it started on 4 wheels, I don't know that I would brave anything like that on 2 wheels, unless maybe on a studded-up set of tires on something like this(if it would run in -30 deg F...):

http://www.moto-mule.com/dunebikes.html

Epic, in any case - subscribed, of course - keep it coming! :clap
  12. Red liner

Red liner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you're THE guy to ask this question to.

How do you keep regular camera batteries or even those AA or AAA batteries insulated from all the cold? Don't those just die otherwise?

Been looking for a quick DIY solution, but couldn't come up with any.

Fab pictures btw.
  13. AKMotorbiker

AKMotorbiker Searching for sanity

Oddometer:
    Loving this report. It's a very unique and different adventure. I love the pics and videos.
  14. travelingaustralian

Oddometer:
    I just keep them in my jacket pocket close to my body. I have 2 batteries for my camera and replace it with the one in my pocket. I then put the flat battery in my pocket as it warms back up it gets more life into it. If im doing time laps i cover my camera with a t shirt then use heat trace wrapped around it that I can plug into a power point.
  15. Red liner

Red liner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, is that enough? I've been trekking high altitude and in cold weather (not as cold as yours!), but have always been unsuccessful at having batteries retain their charge.
  16. Lacedaemon

Lacedaemon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many of the more power hungry cameras (like DSLRs) have an external battery pack on an extension wire as an accessory - they can either be used to extend shooting time for professionals running large or multiple flashes, or can be worn full time inside one's clothing keeping the batteries warm even when the cameras are cold.

For anyone looking to shoot in cold weather, it might be worth investigating whether one of these is available for your camera, or buying a camera with such an accessory when the time comes for new gear.

Another tip (which may not be adequate for Antarctica!) is that lithium batteries are much less affected by cold than other types.
  17. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics and write up! You are doing something MOST of us will never be able to do despite our want to do it. Enjoy it, record it and most importantly continue to tell us about it!

Look forward to seeing more of Antarctica and and then your bike build and trip!:deal
  18. travelingaustralian

Oddometer:
    Hi guys. Been some time since I was on here. Been away from station for a couple weeks. We did not do the traverse but myself and one other diesel mechanic plus an extra help went up to the remote sky way to dig and retrieve equipment left up on the plateau at end of summer.

Im back on station but I'm not in to good a shape. I had to be SAR rescued as I slipped a disk in my back and when I woke the following morning was unable to move at all!!!! Very un nerving. So part of our SAR team came up with the rescue Hagg to bring me back to station. I was in so much pain they had to give me morphine just so they could move me as any movement of my back was like knifes. To make matters worse I was on the top bunk and the room not big enough to get a stretcher into!!
    I am currently laying on my floor writing this. I will update more when im better.
  19. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's no good at all TA!

I hope you mend and get back to some normality. I have a protruding disc and it can be a pain in the arse at times, lots of physio and stretching exercises for me. All the best I look forward to reading ride report aboard your new 690!
  20. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    Well that sucks.

Good thoughts heading that way from South Texas for a speedy and complete recovery.