F800GS - show us your lights

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by kktos, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Cool, glad to hear it. Honestly, with the Hella instructions the install was so simple anyone could do it. Even me!! Usually, when I try to install something on my bike this ---> :baldy happens at least once. Not so on this one.

The only thing I don't like is that I need to find a trigger wire that allows the lights to be on any time the key is on (i.e. with high and/or low beams) but turns them off when the key is off. Where I have it now, triggered by the Aux. plug, they'll run for a few minutes after I turn the key off if I forget. That drains the battery. :baldy
  2. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked them up on F800 Depot and Twalcom sites. They show as out of stock :cry
  3. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    Have any of you hooked up lights via the CANbus GPS connector?

I have installed the LED lights like in one of the previous posts and hooked them up to the GPS connector via the BMW repair connector (used for hooking your GPS into the available accessory CANbus outlet) and now although they work marvelously, the darn things don't want to turn off.

So, could it be that the LED lights (which draw 66mA per side, 132mA total being 1.6w at 12v) are simply not pulling enough juice for the CANbus to notice?

Is there something I'm missing? I'd rather not have to put a switch on them. The whole idea was for this to be brainless. Can I wire them somehow into the low beam headlight with CANbus not freaking out?

Thanks in advance.
  4. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Got a pair of these in the mail last week and the hole for light post is too small - anyone else run into that? I'm mounting up TT SCMR 16s. Suppose I can take a drill to it but for $20 you'd think they'd be proper size.

5. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Hey,

Knowledgeable parts guy at my local shop wouldn't sell this piece to me. Said they had issues getting it to function properly. I tried several times over the course of 6 months just to see if there had been an update fixing the issue (which we never got into the details of.)

I ended up going with toggle switch - not as clean but works.

Good luck, if you get it sorted please follow up with details.

6. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    That connection stays powered for a minute or two after you shut off the ignition.
  7. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    That's what I was hoping would happen - and what should happen but the power is not cut predictably for a long time and seemingly when th battery starts to run low.

I would love if it was a consistent couple of minutes but that's not the case - hence my quandry.
  8. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Odd. I actually use it for a GPS, and I also use the power outlet wire, which is part of the same circuit, for a relay trigger for aux lights. Both the GPS and the aux lights reliably power themselves down after a short period. Never measured it but it seems like no more than a couple of minutes. Having said that, the lights have a separate switch and I use that to turn them off; my power-off delay experience for the lights was just a couple of tests. The GPS however always begins its own power-off countdown in less time than it takes me to fill the gas tank, indicating that power to the connector has been lost.
  9. Kaw4Life

Kaw4Life Long timer

Oddometer:

100% Correct - Poor fit - Horrible instructions - Mine are going back. Biggest problem is the 3 point bracket does not line up and when you tighten the mounting screws you could very easily crack the fender. The bulbs are not sealed worth a bean either. The wiring harness is kind'a good. :johntm
  10. solohvs

solohvs somewhere around the bend

Oddometer:
    OK Guys - before I cable tie everything down and start aiming these new lights I thought I'd post the photos to see if there is anything I'm missing.

PIAA Cross Country Driving Lights mounted on my GIVI Crash Bars. The bars stick out a long way, but I have had very good luck with GIVI and the install went great. I'm mounting the lights inside the cage if all goes well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are the lights too close to the bars? I don't know how much vibration to expect and I don't want them to RUB. I didn't aim them or fine tune the location, but I like some advice here. When the snow stops falling I'd hate to do this all over again!

ALSO - I need a trigger wire for the relay / key ON. The wiring harness is quite straight forward... just need to make the relay work. I have a Zumo 550 wired with the BMW accessory connector. Can I connect to the wire going to the GPS for the wire that goes to the relay for key ON?

Looks kinda simple since it's right there in front of me. But I don't want any Can Bus issues. The relay draws such a small amount of power I'm hoping the Can Bus will never know it's there!

[​IMG]

Black is ground? Red is Hot? So I go in to the red wire on the left of the connector?

Thanks people !
    Brian
  11. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    my aux canbus stays on sometimes also. very inconsistant. once it killed my battery. i have 2 leds, my zumo and autocom connected to the aux canbus with the repair connector.. i have to keep checking if it is off after a few minutes. pain in the ass. anyone else have this problem. may have to add a switch
  12. gr8ridn

gr8ridn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem with the CanBus sometimes staying on with both my Zumo and J&M 2003CB powered by that connection. I experimented and found the J&M was probably back feeding the system causing this wonky behavior. When I used the CanBus connection to power the Zumo and the relay trigger coil it became very stable in shutting down every time. I used the relay switched battery power for the J&M and all is well (isolated any electrical issues affecting the CanBus). I suggest you try this method with your LED lights and Autocom. It should clear up the issue and you will still retain the power down of your devices shortly after turning the key off.

As for the other issue, yes the CanBus worked properly with the GPS and relay trigger wired to the GPS connector.
  13. solohvs

solohvs somewhere around the bend

Oddometer:
    GR8 information. Thanks.

Brian
  14. TreeFarmer

TreeFarmer Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok I give up... I saw a picture and links to sourcing a switch I would like to use for aux lights. It bolts right up to the back of the stock BMW GS left handlebar controls. I have searched all over ADV and the internet and can not find it any more....:baldy It was about $125 so not cheap, but looks clean and stock...

Can somebody please help me?
  15. RobTheRigger

RobTheRigger Killing threads here since 2008

Oddometer:
  16. cula

cula Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I need some help. Recently a bought a set of micro de from hella and 55W HID kit from ddm. I am planning to put the hid into the stock housing of my 800GS and also I retrofitted the micro de&#8217;s to HID (also 55W DDM). And now the questions. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    1) Do you think I will have a problem with melting my housing if I put the 55W into the stock light?<o:p></o:p>
    2) I cannot find a place of where to put my fuseblock (http://www.cyclenutz.com/products/electrical_accessories/fuse_panel_relays/fuzeblock_fuse_block.html http://www.cyclenutz.com/documents/reviews/fuzeblock_MOA_article.pdf ). Any ideas? <o:p></o:p>
    3) Where did you guys got switched power? <o:p></o:p>
    4) I ordered the BMW switched power cable (http://f800depot.com/bmw-switched-power-cable-p-278.html ) to get from the GPS port, but I don&#8217;t want to create any problems on the canbus when I start up the Hella lights. Any ideas?<o:p></o:p>
    5) Do I need warning cancellers on ballasts for my micro de&#8217;s?<o:p></o:p>
    I really appreciate all your help.<o:p></o:p>
  17. TreeFarmer

TreeFarmer Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. dirtbound4Max

dirtbound4Max Hangin' 10 Again!

Oddometer:
    So SoloHVS ~ How did this work out for you? I'm curious because I've been contemplating the same mod in the same place..........Sean
  19. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have or can point me in the direction of pictures that show how the Denali/Vision X lights attach to this mount:
    [​IMG]
  20. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer: