Highway Dirt Bike (HDB) top clamp and handguards

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chadx, Jan 23, 2010.

1. jimrobinette

jimrobinette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chad,

Thanks for the updates. I'm calling Paul tomorrow!
  2. dasvis

dasvis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone mounted these on a DRZ400S & if so, what clearance issues did you have?
  3. Charla

Charla Tamalamian

Oddometer:
    Geek's review of the HDB system in Orange Crush.
  4. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link, Charla. He does a great job with pics and description. :thumb
  5. dasvis

dasvis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you get that mapcase in the photo? I have been looking for one of those...
  6. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    just a quick note to say that Paul is a real stand up guy. My part came in damaged by usps (even though it was really well packaged) and Paul replaced the part right away. :clap great product+great service.... wow! Thank you!
  7. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:

It's the "barpack" map holder from Cyco-active

[​IMG]

I absolutely hate tank bags off-road, so this works great!

http://www.cycoactive.com/mc/bp3.html
  8. dasvis

dasvis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool - just what I have been looking for.

Thanks much!:clap
  9. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just received my custom top clamp from Paul and some other goodies...will install this weekend and post pics...

Is there anyone close to Paul at Highwaydirtbike (Niwot, Colorado, 80503) who has a 2008+ R1200GS interested in these guards & who'd like to offer his/her bike for a test fit? I just bought a 2009 R1200GS and thought there would be a market for them out there?

Thanks!
    Nadim
  10. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Here's my set-up...still have some trouble with the wiring...need to trouble shoot tomorrow night...

LOVE the top clamp...
  11. bikyto

Oddometer:
    are these switches waterproof? and where did you get them? Thank youzzzz!
  12. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are off a Snowmobile heated gear thingy and seem waterproof when i got them and inspected them...at ~4$ a piece, I ordered 2 spares in case the go south...note that the 18mm hole they need is common with other switches (large toggle), but I wasn't able to find a low profile, 3 position switch...

Here is where I got them from: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/symtec-handlebar-warmer-kit-metal-toggle-switch.aspx?a=586311
  13. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Here's where you can get the switch:

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit.htm

And here's a quote from them about the switch:

Round Rocker Switch
    The High-OFF-Low flush mount alternative to our stock toggle switch. This is a popular option if you have flat panel area on your vehicle.
    Although this switch is NOT water proof it holds up very well in wet weather.
  14. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good find! Thanks!
  15. bikyto

Oddometer:
    thank you :)
  16. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Just discovered this thread when DiscoDino made mention over on the XCountry thread. I installed the HDB guards about a year ago. Used them all last season and have posted several times on the XCountry thread about how much I like them. My XCountry is not treated like a dirt bike but I still managed 4 get-offs last season. You can see some light scuff marks on the guards between the bar end and the shield and that's all. Very tough.

The big thing I like about these guards is that with the bar end weights, there's plenty of room for my OEM controls. No chopping or grinding of the levers. A coupla pics of my finished install--

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Very nice looking install!
  18. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    So wiring is my least favorite aspect of wrenching on anything!

The two connections from the battery via two Gerbing COAX cables with a 15a fuse each comes up right at the steering neck so that I can plug a COAX male plug into that and up into the top triple seen below:

[​IMG]

For each cable, there is a Powerlet socket, a High, OFF, Low 3 stage switch, and a 2 color LED light (Green for Low, Red for High).

I can't figure for the life of me how to wire this thing up...last iternation is:

1. COAX male from battery harness: Ground to center ground switch, and position splits into two, one going to High, one going to Low
    2. Ground going from switch to LED nd to Powerlet socket
    3. High positive from one end of the switch going to Red on LED and positive on Powerlet
    4. Low positive from one end of the switch going to Green on LED and positive on Powerlet

This is assuming that the center terminals at the LED and switch is the ground?

Whenever I connect this the fuse pops...without any load! Just plying around with the switch. The first second I connect everything the LED does light up, but the the fuse pops...

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, and would hate to do this mediocrly...

HELP!

Thanks
  19. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    yeah.. DisoD you got something shorting a circuit out, possibly a couple wires swapped or a wire grounding and its blowing the fuse. I had this happen to me wiring up something and I had my wires swapped it'd blow the fuse immediately.. turn key on. POP!

Maybe draw out how you have things wired and post it up so we can take a look.. I always wire one thing at a time, test it and then move to the next that way I can backtrack easiest if something starts to go wrong. You could do that pull each circuit off and test them one at a time..
  20. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Dino--electrical farkling is my favorite thing to do, but I'd have to see yours to figger out what's up. I do have a couple of comments though.

1st-- a switch is normally only connected to the power, not the ground. When the switch is open it breaks the circuit and turns OFF the accessory; when it's closed the circuit is connected. But with your setup, with the LED lights, it's different. Still, though, it seems like no ground should go to the switch. Seems like high power should go to one terminal, low power to the other terminal, then the third terminal is the one that connects to the accessory.

2nd--This brings up the question of high and low power. Do you have high and low power? I'm guessing not. I'm guessing that the switch on high or on low is full power from the battery. If that's right, then you really need to connect only one of the power terminals on the switch and the other terminal will be the same as "off."

3rd--check and double check the two sets of wires coming from your battery to make sure you have correctly identified which two are power and which two are ground.