Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Jon

Jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sleep on them all the time. Keeps you off the ground, are free to use, and often found behind churches were they rarely ask you to leave if discovered. :D
  2. 8lives

8lives WTF, in Cannabis we trust.

Oddometer:
    Nice,keep us updated,1 day and 400 miles!No battery tenders for you!
  3. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this a pretty thick zip tie? I can't see regular ones holding.
  4. Beemermcr

Beemermcr Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer:
    Yes, it needs to be 120-175 lb - zip ties are rated by lbs - most are 50 or under and lower ratings will not hold. I went to 175 to make sure it had enough strength. Harbor Freight sells some white ones rated at 175lbs, but I found them brittle in cold weather(non MC application). I bought mine at Fastenal: $16 for 25 iirc. Gave a bunch away.

Got the idea off a sport bike forum: just google "zip tie throttle lock".
  5. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool. I've been thinking of getting something for my XT to hold the throttle briefly.
  6. 8lives

Oddometer:
    Ya I googled it and found a vid on a Triumph site that cleared up any questions,good idea thanks,I use a cramp buster and its good but something as simple as this zip tie deal is perfect for long freeway jammin and its so easy to disengage.Sometimes when someone post a good simple idea it's hard to grasp,this will be added to the bike today.
  7. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gonna put Throttlemeister out of business.
  8. dalehazelton

dalehazelton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh no, that was 80 days first day, 50 or 60 second.....
  9. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    On a bike with bar end weights, a thick o-ring, 1/8" or so, placed between the grip and the weight will hold the throttle in place. Keep it on the weight, then roll it off the weight into the groove when you need it.
  10. CNRED

CNRED It'll be OK Supporter

Oddometer:
    Transalps are still available in Europe. I owned a few 89's and 90's, they were great bikes. I would sell a few of the bike I presently own if I could buy a new TA.
  11. Slipinn

Slipinn DevilDogMarine

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested to know if it can attain 70 mph for short juants on the interstate road's. I have recently taken my 96 xr250l out of storage and put it on the road. Most of the 4 lanes here in Florida have a 70 mph speed limit and of course everyone actually goes 80 mph or more so 70 would be necessary to keep anywhere near the flow of traffic. Have been thinking of a new 250 myself and comparing the KLX 250 to the crf. Seems like the KLX might have a higher top end.
    That new CRF sure looks good.

Chuck:clap
  12. moterbiker

moterbiker Gypsy diver

Oddometer:
    My XT225 does 70 fine, I am pretty sure the KLX is even better
  13. dalehazelton

dalehazelton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dealer where I had this consigned for $2300 just called and said the sold it for $2,000. After I pay them commission I will be getting less than average retail, and they were much more money on Cycletrader. I guess if you want to do something right you have to do it yourself. But trying to sell bikes myself has been a pain in the butt. Should have pulled the Renthal bars and barkbusters off. Oh well...

[​IMG]
  14. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    My CRFL did 70, no problem. I have replaced the front sprocket from a 14, to a 13, and I haven't plugged in the Speedo DRD in yet, but was keeping up with traffic alright. Not a big fan of interstates, though, if I can help it.
  15. 8lives

Oddometer:
    your loss on the sale price is worth not having the issues that can arise from selling it yourself,I have sold a few over the years and it often work out ok,but selling requires alot of meeting people to look at what your selling until it goes,sometimes for alot less because I get tired of the whole process and just let it go,the dealer did all that 4 ya.Buyers remorse/sellers remorse.
  16. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    My XT225 will do an "indicated" 80 top, but I always wonder how much off it is in reality. Of course, that's if there's no up slope, and no asmatic geezer breathing in my direction.
  17. pinkius

pinkius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Leo.G,
    Good eyes Man, I bought it like that but I do want the muffler to be up like when it first came out of Japan...I will fix it but it runs better when it's ugly
  18. Leo.G

Leo.G Is still learning

Oddometer:

I owned a NX 150, as you can see in my avatar.. I disarmed it so much that I almost know every part of it, hehe!

Does that exhaust setup make the bike run better or what?
  19. Jesper Hedegaard

Jesper Hedegaard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well - I have a '09 KLX250S and after a very fast tuning is does 120 km/h - according to GPS with an all-time high of 127. Don't remember the conditions for that sprint, thoug ;o)
    But that is the european FI-model - US carburetted model could be another matter.
    Oh - it will pull the 120 under most conditions on fairly flat road - we are not bugged by mountains here in Denmark ;o)

120 km/h eqauls approx 75 Mph.
  20. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today I used my Every Trail program while I drove to work on my XT225. It showed a max speed of 73.8 from the GPS. You are right though that wind will slow it down in a hurry.