SA Adv Riders "The Big One III"

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by masterbrewer, Apr 11, 2010.

1. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    :thumb

[​IMG]

After the roaring success of "The Big One I" and the unfortunate demise of "The Big One II" through futuristic assumptions of potential liability concerns, a smaller group met to check that I was adjusting my tyre pressures correctly :wink: and ride through the Adelaide hills.

[​IMG]

We were stoked to be graced by our future beer carrier

[​IMG]

and the free flowing roads were fantastic with their damp grippy surface

[​IMG]

It wasn't long for the call of a "bakery" was heard from the troops

[​IMG]

Then further north over the fabulous undulating sweeping corners of the High Eden Rd

[​IMG]

and onto Pine Hut Rd

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the inaugural flight of the beer carrier was not looking good as things started to collapse in the centre :huh

[​IMG]

Many hands make light work.................... especially after just fueling up :lol3

[​IMG]

After seeing 3 Legs off for more major repairs, the group headed to Inspiration Point west of Robertstown

[​IMG]

Some thought they got away with anyone knowing :evil

[​IMG]

I think a caption contest is needed here :poser

[​IMG]

Eventually a great day was had by all ............ or most anyway. :lol3

Thanks for the 471kms (for me) of fantastic company yet again. :clap

Feel free to add your version of events guys. :ear :lurk
  2. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    THE ORGANISER

[​IMG]
  3. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ear
  4. TerryK

TerryK Ulysses

Oddometer:
    Kym don't hang around on that KDM either..Pretty quick
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the intro.. looking forward to seeing more of your ride and your beautiful country :thumb

:lurk
  6. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    Bernie and I were to meet everyone early on Sunday morning but he'd double booked so I decided to meet the crew somewhere local. Spoke to Kym and then Terry and the arrangements were made to meet up on Corryton Park Rd. The crew were a little behind schedule but it gave Tel and I time to catch up and discuss at length his recent Flinders trip and the status of various sections of roads and tracks up there.

Masterbrewer then calls me a couple of times and I'm having trouble with the phone. Then it dawns on me and I switch the bluetooth off on the Zumo - now we have communication.

Tel and I talked while our bikes waited patiently..

[​IMG]

The guys arrive at our location.......lead by the Master Map Reader

[​IMG]

Followed by that group known as The Usual Suspects

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We arrived at Truro for a further chapter in the greatest ever bakery catalogue guide, and just before the scheduled time to depart the outfit decides to loosen up some bolts and begin to sag in the middle (I know exactly how it feels). Then a group of council workers came along and watched the repairs......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We think we got it fixed and the guy bailed out and black topped it home from there. The dirt roads were causing the problem and I think he'd been having a fair bit of trouble with the handling. Good effort mate.

Then it was out to Robertstown and a look out over the countryside from Inspiration Point. Sol had long had a desire to try and climb Mt Coralie at a mate's property having seen photo's of it before....... This one was taken two years ago from the top looking down. Just after the dirt patch in the foreground the climb is almost vertical.:evil

[​IMG]

Wasn't to be as the place was locked up and the owners weren't there for us to get in and watch the spectacle. For what it's worth, I've ridden the DR up there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roads had been great for the most but had started to dry out later in the day and dust became a big factor. And then, like a horse galloping back to the stable, the boys start heading home and turned on the pace. MB is leading and at one stage Sol is sitting in 2nd place and I'm sitting one out and one back. Then I spied my chance.....there was a mud hole ahead and Sol opened the gate for me and I surged ahead to try and cover him in mud. Didn't quite work though but the laughter inside my helmet was warming. Then disaster, the KTM Gods had taken over and the rear tyre on the DR deflated suddenly. A couple of others stopped and we ripped off the wheel and went about changing the tube on one of those bloody DR rears - they are terrible. My car tyre iron and compressor came in handy and the first aid kit even supplied a band aid for the finger I punctured too. Mind you, the assistance was greatly appreciated as I started to run out of puff trying to be super quick with the repair.....thanks guys...:clap

First inspection and the tube looked like it had been pinched. Made sense as we'd been hitting some rocky outcrops fairly fast, but then we found the two inch rusty nail that had caused the incident - wouldn't have mattered if I had solid rubber tubes, that mother was going down. Tyre bead wouldn't pop properly but we threw it back on and I rode gingerly down to the Kapunda/Morgan Road and then black topped it to Gawler with MikeF in tow for a while. Got home all good. Thanks to MB for the photo of me engaged in the repair.....any guesses as to what advice I'm about to give him in the photo above..:wink:

A very big thankyou to MB for getting a few guys together for this ride and the obvious trouble he goes to in sorting out maps and suitable roads/tracks to ride on.

Good bunch of blokes and I hope to ride with you all again - maybe on the forthcoming Flinders ride. cheers

Oh, and a very sincere apology to Craig (Not Home) for letting him ride my DR with suspension, air/fuel in, gasses out, and better height bars etc - I reckon I just cost him $3k..........
  7. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    :thumb

It's a pleasure! :wings

Mind you it took over 4 hours of detailed work the night before to replot the course :deal (with the aid of google maps street view) to try & ensure drier roads, after the recent heavy rain storms in the areas I had originally planned to ride :cromag
  8. kipo

kipo South Australian Tiger Resistance Group

Oddometer:
    DRTrev's words back in the original 'SA The Big One II' thread:

I take it back, you're absolutely right, I have no idea how to change a tyre on the track. I only carry all the gear to do so in case someone else wants to use it. :evil

Karma stikes again. His name is EARL
  9. NotHome

NotHome Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going to see Peter Hoey on Tuesday to discuss the suspension and when he can do it. I could not believe the difference. Looks like I won't have a mini bike for much longer :clap:clap:clap. Thanks to you and Dave for letting me ride your steeds, hell I had fun on them :D. Now I just have to convince my better half to let me go to the Flinders on Mothers Day weekend so I can test out the new suspension.

Thanks to MB and all the other riders yesterday, the only problem I have is I forget to take pics as I am having way too much fun. Now I hope MB's tyre pressures are OK and I did my best for the Bakery Quality Assurance testing :lol3.
  10. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    I see you got your hands dirty with a wheel on the weekend too. I don't mind when there's others around to help. A couple of beers and a bottle of fruit juice and I slept like a log last night..:clap
  11. kipo

kipo South Australian Tiger Resistance Group

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

"Fuck, my finger is stuck in the valve hole"
  12. Sol Erzenberg

Sol Erzenberg Lost somewhere

Oddometer:
    Trev, I heard you coming along side of me so I gave the 690's throttle a blast & instantly took off at a fair rate of knots with the front wheel lofted through the muddy puddle.....you weren't in for a chance mate...:evil
  13. Sol Erzenberg

Sol Erzenberg Lost somewhere

Oddometer:
    Thanks again MB..:thumb
    I had as great time yesterday, some of those side roads with the signs "Dry weather only " or "Boggy when wet" would have been fun...:D

No problems at all Craig, I'm glad to enjoyed the ride on the 690...:lol3
  14. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    more like "Fuck off or I'll stick my finger in your valve hole" :poser
  15. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    AussieJase wasn't with us with his chocolate though like in the "Big One I", just wouldn't have been the same ............................... well now you come to think about it! :lol3
  16. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    G'day fellas

Got home alright. Thanks for helping out a Truro. I think I know what went wrong. Not sure but I reckon the bottom mounts moved down which moved the bottom of the bike out hence causing the lean in. Also I think one of the threads has bent.

Have taken the front shocks off and will send them to Hoeys to get rebuilt tomorrow.

Was a great days ride but was I stuffed when I got home. I'm sore today. Used muscles I haven't use for a while.

Kym, can you PM me with your front tyre details please.

Cheers

3legs
  17. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oops, almost forgot.

Kym you will be hearing from my lawyer for breaking my chair in half:D

In cyberspace they can't hear you scream:D

Nah just kidding, my names not that other ADV rider who shall remain nameless.

3legs
  18. TerryK

TerryK Ulysses

Oddometer:
    I watched that from behind & was laughing my head off.
  19. TerryK

TerryK Ulysses

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride MB there were some ripper side roads or tracks like the one that claimed Trev's rear tyre..

I still can't believe you punt that TDM so quick on dirt.
  20. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    That's what I get for laughing out loud as I came up alongside you, you must have heard me and got out the way....bugga.:rofl

Anyway, don't worry about it, you won't have to look over your shoulder each time were out there - trust me:evil

I had a great day out there yesterday and I've rung the guys at GC's and they're going to put another HD tube in for me tomorrow and reverse the tyre to sharpen up the approach lugs...might get some more kms out of it. The bloody thing popped into place on the way home and looks good, but I'm not taking a chance with that standard tube I stuck in there.