Any Rocket Scientist Jobs In Colorado?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by MotorcycleWriter, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finding a job is not rocket science. Unless you are a rocket scientists.
  2. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the correction. I needed to give one more stir to my bowl of alphabet soup.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  3. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
  4. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    I probably know her as I live in Owens Cross Roads! She probably lives "behind Walmart" as we say around here, in one of the newly sprouted planned communities. There are a lot of very nice, new homes in that area but I'm not really a 1/4-acre-lot-former-cotton-field kind of guy and live in an older home on an acre in the woods.

yup

yup

I'm an astrodynamicist/navigation engineer and space is what I do best. I was GNC lead on a cube sat program (SMDC-ONE) a few years ago and would like to get back into space work. Huntsville is mostly either Army or MDA with are both all about shooting things down or blowing things up. Yeah, NASA is here but they don't do anything interesting and, if they do, it takes forever to get it done.
  5. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    You should definitely apply to Sierra Nevada ASAP. They are ramping up in expectation of a new contract award (currently interviewing and giving offers contingent on contract award), several of my ex-coworkers from the Orion project have left Orion for dream chaser (and love it). Orion is based out of Colorado but the guys doing GN&C for it are at JSC in Houston. Sierria Nevada isnt encumbered by the same amount of red tape as the traditional NASA contractors. So it could be a good fit.

There's also a satellite group at CU-Boulder they have a tvac chamber and everything(or that's what I've been told at least) their space dept is called LASP.
    LockMart is in the processes of consolidating facilities and supposedly several jobs are moving to Littleton (commercial satellites).

Hope you find something that's a good fit!
  6. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    Interesting thread and good luck to all you guys in the space/aircraft tech industry in Colorado and elsewhere. This activity needs to continue with the brightest people on board. But.... I had to look up GNC to see what it means. For those not in the know, I guess it means Guidance, Navigation, and Control, right?
  7. e.hahn

e.hahn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you can take a leap of faith and move before you officially land a job. It's much more attractive if a company can hire you tomorrow instead of fly and lodge you just for an interview. I know, been there done that, it's almost impossible with all the local competition.
  8. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    Yup, that's guidance, navigation, and control. Navigation tells the vehicle where it is, guidance tells it how to get where it wants to be, and control implements the guidance commands to get there. My strength is Navigation, Guidance, and then controls in that order based on the tasks and work I've had over the years. Lots of 6DOF analysis over the years. Lots.

That Sierra Nevada looks pretty interesting. I'm going to apply and see what happens. Maybe in a few years I'll be in a position to take a leap of faith, but right now I need constant income to support kids in college. Yes, kids. Three. At Auburn. Either that or one of my novels needs to become a bestseller!

War Eagle!
  9. 1Gopokes1

1Gopokes1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at MDA at Shriver AFB in Colo Springs

My spouse works out there and seems to be pretty busy...she actually works for a Company out of Huntsville AL

I was just in Huntsville AL for Explosive school....surprisingly nice town...but hot and humid

I like Straight to Ale
  10. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    My last gig was with MDA (as a consultant). They have some interesting work but their management structure can be incredibly frustrating to work with. Especially if you are a professional problem solver. You'd think that would be what they want but the opposite is actually true. I'd work with them again but not at MiDAESS rates, only as a consultant.

True on both counts. It's a great place to raise kids but mine are all in college now leaving me free to escape from the humidity. Most people have no idea what all is in Huntsville.

Not only do we have probably the most thriving missile* business in the world, but a bunch of new and quite good microbrews.

*A rocket is either a large, guided projectile that delivers a payload into space, or a very small, unguided weapon. E.g., Saturn V Rocket, vs the standard 2.75" rocket. A missile is almost always a guided weapon be it an ICBM, a Hellfire, or anything in between. As with grammar, there are always exceptions...
  11. wadenelson

wadenelson Rider/Writer

Oddometer:

This site is under development

This page indicates the webmaster has not uploaded a website to the server.

For information on how to build or upload a site, please visit your web hosting company's site.