Gorges State Park to Bad Creek

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by BigAl37, Jun 15, 2013.

1. BigAl37

BigAl37 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just rode from Gorges State Park down to Bad Creek, if you get the chance to do this ride it is quite exhilarating. Several creek crossings, not for the faint of heart.
  2. Chiknmunky

Chiknmunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode through there Sunday morn. Had the place to myself pretty much.
    It has gotten kinda grown up in there so its harder to see around the corners.You never know when you might meet a truck or something!:eek1
  3. BigAl37

BigAl37 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not to many people know the gate at the GORGES parking lot is open year round. Talked with the rangers who said there is not much traffic. I will go again and explore different roads
  4. sdthorpe

sdthorpe Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer:
    Google maps doesn't show any roads connecting the two, could you describe your route for me?!?
  5. Chiknmunky

Chiknmunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not really a route this time of year,one way in,ride to the gate,turn around and come back out.There is one road off of the main road that goes down to the lake. When the other section of Badcreek is open (hunting season) you can go through and come out on 130 just above White water falls.
  6. sdthorpe

sdthorpe Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer:
    Sent ya a PM Big Al...
  7. Clockwatcher

Clockwatcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didja tell him that going around gates pisses off the rangers..............and that fucks it up for everyone that rides there......................:huh
  8. BigAl37

BigAl37 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually we spoke to two Rangers at the Gorges park who told us it was open to bad creek, they we not "pissed off" they were very encouraging and even gave us the contact info for the other rangers if there was any questions. Maybe there is more than one way across.
  9. ktmrider203

ktmrider203 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep that gravel road down there near the Rainbow Falls trail head inside Gorges park at the end of the parking lot is called Chestnut Mountain Road and its pretty hilly and sort of gravelled. It has a turn off at 6.5 miles ( Turkey Pen Gap ? ) and was wondering if that is the way to Bad Creek ( Auger Hole Road ?) . Will give it a try . Looks like can end up on 130 or go west up in the woods to come out on 281 near highway 64 . Google earth helpful but there must be 15-20 dead end turn offs up Auger Hole Road so would be tricky w/o GPS. I didn't have GPS , riding solo and was late afternoon so turned around on Chestnut Mountain and came back