Help! Versys vs. TMD 900 vs. Wee-Strom vs. F650GS vs. F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Guy Jinbaiquerre, Oct 8, 2008.

?

Which bike should I get?

1. Versys

2. TDM 900

3. F650GS (parallel twin, not single)

4. F800GS

5. Wee-Strom

6. Something else

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    :snore
  2. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll cancel my F800Gs order ASAP. :D
    People complain on the net. It is the nature of the beast. All bikes have problems. My buddies new ST1300 had leaking base gaskets and a bad water pump. Doesn't mean that STs aren't reliable in general. Go ask a KLR dealer about the "doohickey" all you'll get is a blank stare. Looks like the main issue with the 800gs was a software update. My read on the bike from lurking on the lists is that it has a basically bullet proof motor and people love this bike.

3. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:

Sweet, now you're whining in stereo, on two different boards. Your concerns were, I think answered over on f800riders.

DRZs and Wees are fine bikes, but not really comparable. If the 800 fits the bill of the riding you want to do, but your'e terrified by internet boogiemen, then go orange, either a 640 or 990 adv.
  4. cba191

cba191 wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer:
    have you gone over and peed in the cheerios at ukgser.com too? if you actually read posts, you will notice that the people who own the 800 love the 800. same goes for the versys and the strom and most other bikes. i'm obviously biased because i have an 800gs. but you make it sound like there has never been a problem with a drz, versys, or a wee. if you don't want the 800, don't get it. get something else. but please STFU! :D
  5. blackie

blackie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the 650 twin and I love it! :rofl

Was at first a bit hesitant upon reading all the naysayers sayings but I decided to go ahead and take the plunge anyway and have not regretted it one bit. Sure there are some niggly bits but they're no biggy and makes me pay more attention (aka become more attached) to the bike. Least but not last, it does BOTH road and dirt roads well! When you add up the upgraded bits (like stainless steel brake lines) on the 650 compared to say a Wee you'd see the price difference. Besides this is the most fun I've had on a bike in a long time, well maybe except for the Honda Cub....that is a TRUE go anywhere bike:lol3

Edit:
    That single front disc works very very well...FYI even 2 up and loaded
  6. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    My Versys is my touring bike. Then again, I go by myself. It works very well one up as a touring bike. Mine has taken me about 12,000 miles since March of this year.
  7. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    12k miles since March? Sorry you aren't liking your Versys. :evil

(I've only put 18k on my DL, and that doesn't include a single commuting mile)
  8. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:

Commuting infers working. I don't commute. I took five road trips this season on the Versys. The KLR got 6000 miles in January and February from KC to Guatemala and back. There, 18,000. :fitz

:poser
  9. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    :cry

Congrats :-)
  10. beep

beep Guest

There a lot of truth in that, but if someone was scared of the internet boogieman, than they wouldn't be going for a KTM either :evil There are just as many scare stories about them.

Unfortunately bad experiences are always going to get more attention than good ones, on the internet. For every horror story about a bike, there are a hundred satisfied owners. I've yet to see a proper horror story about the 800, just a few minor glitches which are all easily fixed. This shouldn't put anyone of the bike, the F650 is excellent, I'm sure the F800 is too.

The real killer for me however, is that the nearest BMW dealer is a long way away. Otherwise the F650 would be at the top of my shopping list, along with the equally good but considerably cheaper Vstrom.
  11. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    I like that bike a lot. If I wasn't so happy with my Versys, I would probably be going that way.
  12. donbcivil

donbcivil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the intelligent response...others could learn from you.

Yeah I get that all bikes have problems, what I've been trying to gauge (which is hard without some kind of Consumer Reports type reliability survey) is whether 1) the F800s are having consistent problems and 2) how decisively BMW is addressing them. Both interesting questions when making a purchase of this size.
  13. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    1) No.
    2) see 1).
  14. hojo in sc

hojo in sc Long timer

Oddometer:
    V-Strom: DL1000 as te 650 would be loaded down a bit too much for an EVERY DAY 2 UP ride. Sure the 650 can handle it, but the 1000 can handle it better (IMHO).

800GS, expensive when compared to others, but a great bike. Limited by Canbus (I hate computers on my bike). I just think the Strom is better on the wallet and your gonna get a great ride.

Sure the DL1000 is heavier, but it won't shrink your wallet as much, and it is comparable to the 1200GS in weight, which many have not had big problems with. I think the DL is 490 lbs (not sure), which is about 100 lbs more than the 800GS, but it doesn't sound like your gonna do 90% dirt riding or even 2% EXTREME dirt riding; gravel roads, NO PROBLEM.
  15. kujo411

kujo411 WR250r

Oddometer:
    Well, I don't do much two up riding (the wife left me because I spent too much time on the bike!), but I'll tell you this much - I sold my dl1000 to get a bmw r1150gs which I promptly dumped after riding the versys. The versys is hands down the most fun bike I have ever been on. In my humble opinion, bmw reliability these days leaves something to be desired. The dl is a better 2 up she goat, but the versys is much more fun and surprisingly good off road. But be careful, if you want to keep your wife I don't suggest test riding a versys!