Best 990 mod, and it's FREE!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by boat.man, Jun 13, 2010.

1. SOILMAN

SOILMAN DIRT-HOG

Oddometer:
    Did my '08 ADV yesterday...I do notice a difference...
  2. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Went to ride into work today. Left my Mixit turned on. Dead Battery. :thwak
    I guess tomorrow I'll ride in. Needs to charge overnight. :D
    I still don't know how this mod feels. (if anything)
  3. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Maybe test drivers didn't notice this because 1-3 gears are just for getting the bike moving and driving starts from 4th gear :ricky

Does the mod affect after butterflies removed? Or are the bf's the way for ecu to control throttle response while running 2th or 3th gear? :ear
  4. Frankovitch

Frankovitch n00b

Oddometer:
    I did the mod on my 2009 990 earlier this week. Had a nice 1000 km trip from sea level up into the mountainside etc. Did not notice a significant increase in power in 2nd and 3rd, even at revs up to 9000 rpm, but the throttle response is greatly improved. Even with no power gain the removal of throttle hesitation is worth this mod.
    :clap
  5. Adventure Matt

Adventure Matt n00b

Oddometer:
    Would like to know If anyone has tried this yet on a USA model 2012 990 Adventure R? Is this mod even applicable to this new model year?

Mine seems hesitant to pull the front wheel up, but I assumed that was due more to the 230lbs it's hauling around on its topside... :)

Thanks!
  6. Lemans1

Lemans1 n00b

Oddometer:
    I am a newcomer to this thread since linked in from a new thread on UK KTM forum, you know usual things about lumpy running, common mods etc.

I have a 07 990adv which by all accounts will benifit from cutting/removing wires as detailed but...

What is impact on fuel consumption with standard cans and has anyone identified any problems/downsides of completing mod.

Otherwise it seems a no brainer!!!!!!

By the way 1st post, good to be here
  7. pulpo2011

pulpo2011 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I advriders,

First, Sorry for my english, Im from Chile.

So, this is the simple question:

I think is it more easy disconect de EPC with Tuneecu, just a click and download??? five minutes job??

Best Regards

Ricardo
  8. harlan

harlan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, you would have to have the TuneECU for that to work.
    Most people dont :)
  9. Lemans1

Lemans1 n00b

Oddometer:
    This thread ran forever previously - must be somebody who has an opinion on the impact on fuel consumption or able to identify any negatives associated with Mod.
  10. men8ifr

men8ifr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So there is some power limitation in neutral 1st and 2nd. The ECU can only control the spark timing (throttle is still controlled by a wire attached to your right hand). To reduce power it retards the spark which reduces power but uses the same amount of fuel (throttle and AFR has not changed).

So if you do the mod the bike is actually more efficient and for a given power will use less fuel.

BUT if this makes it so much fun to wheelie you will be opening the throttle a lot more and this will more than wipe out the (much) smaller benefits you had gained by increasing engine efficiency.

So do it and if you want to improve MPG try not to wheelie every where. :wink:
  11. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    or go buy a Prius ;)
  12. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    i just did this and can report some increase but not an insane amount. i was able to lift the front a little easier in 2nd with just a power twist and the engine seems to rev quicker in both 2nd and 3rd gear. worth doing, but it's not gonna make you power wheelie in all gears whenever you want.... :cry

laramie :beer
  13. Time2go

Time2go willing conjecturer

Oddometer:
    I did this mod tonight on my otherwise stock 2010 990. Took it for a short test drive and really tried to pull the front end up through 2nd gear with just throttle. Very slight difference in pull from before, and probably worth the 15 mins it took but I didn't see much improvement.

I didn't notice any difference with throttle or a smoothing of power - will likely need more testing to prove that for me... and some money for exhaust and Akra map :D
  14. Jerm

Jerm Soul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just performed this mod today. It took about 15 minutes, but I had to resort to snipping the wires as there wasn't enough slack for me to get the plug apart (at least without dropping the tank. No biggie...I can say it has made a noticeable difference in smoothness and immediate WOT in 2nd and 3rd. I just got back from a 2hr ride through the Michaux State forest twisties in PA and it was a blast. Even though it feels like it's 90°+ ATTGAT, the bike ran like it does on a cool fall morning.

I'm stoked. Immediate throttle response when needed with no lag.
    Unfortunately, I can't do wheelies unless the planets are in total alignment, but even as a relative nOOb, I feel the difference this has made.
    Thanks to the OP for the info!!!! :clap
  15. kaptinkaos

kaptinkaos Just some nOOb

Oddometer:
    Yep, this works for the 2013's too. It's not a power add, but instead of 2nd and 3rd feeling like the bike has v-tec (ie. when you hammer it in 2nd through 3rd it feels like both gears have a rev limiter early in the range and only really come to full power at about 7000rpm) it's just power the way you would expect it. Linear instead of stepped or logarithmic. This applies for all 990's I believe as they all must meet EU regs due to being a Euro product.

Took 5 mins, used 4" of electrical tape, an electronics screwdriver to push the pins out. Definitely a must do mod just to have expect-able and linear throttle response in these two gears.

Cheers
  16. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Ok I've got a 2013 Baja edition, akra exhaust been remapped for the new exhaust, will this mod still have any effect?
  17. ÖÖ.

ÖÖ. Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer:
    At least the 06 - 08 Akra-maps didn't have EPC on. Probably new ones are the same.
  18. KaytM

KaytM Just a fella.

Oddometer:
    I wanted to do this mod today but the colour of my wires don't match what I'm reading on the forums.
    My wires are red, black and blue on both the connectors?
    [​IMG]
    The connector to the left seems to be connected to the fuel pump.
    [​IMG]
    The upper connector is a black male half mated with a white female half...in the description it says the other way round?
    [​IMG]
    That's the upper connector looking from the top picture.
    [​IMG]
    At least I wasn't groveling around on the floor! :)
  19. Tomah

Tomah In transit ... Supporter

Oddometer:
    can someone give us a visual of the correct connector? :ear:ear:ear
  20. Rodknee

Rodknee the post is mightier than the sword...

Oddometer:
    why? you are askign people in multiple countries which all seem to have different color connectors. it is super easy. follow your switch back to your connector...

qouted from the other thread