Hampton Roads Chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by roger123, Dec 25, 2008.

1. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    I don't fix vehicles for a living, but I do fix other stuff for a living. I will say this, the quality of materials used in manufacturing today varies wildly! Manufacturers are doing there best to keep cost down, and that means that at times they are sourcing materials, fasteners, etc from all over the world. The stuff comes with claims that it meets standards (ASTM, ANSI, EIFI, etc), but I'm here to tell you most of those claims aren't worth the paper they're printed on. For example, I've stopped buying any pipe manufactured outside of the USA. Even some of the stuff made inside the US isn't worth a damn. It puts me a huge pricing disadvantage, but doing warranty work isn't exactly profitable either. Many problems with materials these days can be traced back to environmental issues. Again, an example, galvanizing today isn't worth a shit since they've started to eliminate the lead from the process.

We live in a global world. BMW manufactures vehicles all around the world, and likely sources parts from all around the world. They have a common parts systems for bikes and cars. (Bet you didn't know you could walk into a BMW car dealership, give them a bike part number, and they will get it for you). Its damn near impossible for them, or any manufacturer for that matter, to police their part suppliers.

Moral of the story, yeah, stuff like that sucks. But we live in a world where even premium brands are faced with extreme price point pressures, and extreme pressure from investors and owners for ROIC. those are pretty diametrically opposed pressures typically. I don't really like it, but I get it. And we suffer in the end.
  2. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    I have one of those too, and an MBA, neither of which are worth a damn when my bike won't start :rofl

But, if you need to know how to build a nuclear reactor, or the bomb, on time and under budget, I'm your guy!
  3. ChildlikeWonder

ChildlikeWonder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is only true for very few parts. From what they've told me, even if its in their computer they aren't allowed to get it unless it is also used in a car.
  4. Henderson757

Henderson757 Living the American Dream

Oddometer:
  5. Laughingdawg

Laughingdawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because he doesn't want to stop having sex every night?
  6. Dboy11

Dboy11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw Matt today at Cycle World, Thanks for the tip on the Vermont stuff! Told him about the XR, well I thought I would show it to the rest of you as well :rofl
    Bike is now bored 30 over with all the Gucci stuff inside
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    At work. It is sooooo nice outside.
  8. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    Over 13 years and have never gone longer than a week........I will call that a WIN! :D

Dude? That slug is a work O art! :lol3
  9. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:

Does your wife know about that? :rofl
  10. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    I for one have it pretty good at home. I guess I just married the right lady. I would do it again.
  11. Weldman

Weldman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here. I got it made ... :D.
  12. Dboy11

Dboy11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I worked hard making it :clap
  13. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:

Your wife's a keeper just for the secret burger recipe! I still talk about those things.
  14. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:

Odd, that's not what they put out at the BMW performance center. That's where I learned that
  15. DAAANG

DAAANG LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer:
    Anyone have an enclosed trailer theyre looking to sell?
  16. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:

Not a trailer, but I will have a work van for sale pretty soon. They actually work pretty well to haul bikes around. I leave the parts bins in them when they sell, which is nice to carry tools or spares for the bike. The next one I sell is a 2006 E-250. Its got 175231 miles on it as of right now. It'll probably have another 500-1000 miles on it by the time I get guys swapped out of it and into a new van. It isn't a show piece, its a work van, but we do take care of them. It doesn't pay to not maintain a van if its integral to the business. PM me if you're interested. I'll have 2 more later in the year.
  17. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:

and Matt, for you, I'll leave the red and black pin stripes on the van.
  18. DAAANG

DAAANG LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer:
    Hahahaha, thanks man but Im just looking for a trailer.
  19. Dboy11

Dboy11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Matt, how much are you looking too spend? There is a place just over the border on 168 that sells a 6x12 for 2750
  20. TCON

TCON Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a nice 2014 6X12 for $2600 (new $3100) in the motorcycle section on craigslist.