any experience with touratech suspension?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Grits&Gravy, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Grits&Gravy

Grits&Gravy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have any experience with Touratech's new suspension products for the F800? Specifically, the Expedition or the Explore HP. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the bike comes factory set up for about 175 lb rider. I'm a few lbs bigger and carry another 20+lbs of gear. Just looking at potentially upgrading my suspension.

If you have any first hand knowledge please feel free to comment. Thanks.
  2. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'm gonna be a guinea pig. I'll give them a call and let them tell me all about it. :wink:
  4. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of lowering the bike. My legs are a little short for touching down on uneven surfaces.

Someone did a post earlier on how to cut down the stock spring to lower the bike. Then you just slide the forks up in the clamps. That would be a cheap altermative if you don't over work the stock suspension.
  5. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll just have to be careful if you lower the seat height via the suspension. There's already precious little clearance for the skidplate on full compression.
  6. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    This is not a thread about lowering a bike. If you don't have any info to contribute in regards to my original topic of upgrading suspension using Touratech's Explorer or Expedition series please move along.. Thanks.
  7. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    Talked to Touratech today. They were very helpful and I also found out that Konflict Motorsports (in the vendor section) is very good with F800's front suspension and they sell Touratech. They also have a supportive bump from Touratech so I have a call/email in to them and waiting for a response.
  8. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER

Oddometer:
    Email responded to. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I can also provide any technical information, or answer any questions you might have regarding the TT shock lineup.<o:p></o:p>
  9. BcDano

BcDano One Lucky Dude

Oddometer:
    Grits you are in good hands with Alex at Konflict. Will look forward to your review of the Touratech gear.
  10. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    I got a very detailed email from Alex the other afternoon and then he called me the next morning. I've given him a deposit for the work on the front fork tubes and the new TT Explore HP for the rear. I will be sending him my fork tubes this week.
  11. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    Removed my fork tubes today and have them packed up and ready to ship.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    So what happened? How's the suspension?
  13. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    The rear Touratech shock arrived today and the front forks will be here tomorrow. I sent the front forks in a little bit premature of my actual build date that Alex put on the calendar because I wasn't going to be riding the GS for quite some time and was going to be busy doing other things. When the fronts arrive tomorrow I will take pics and post back up.
  14. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Thank god you had the RT to ride during 2 month :lol3. I'm all ears for the review and it better be good: I want these suspensions really badly! :deal
  15. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    Got home today and the front forks were waiting on me. Alex, at Konflict, done an excellent job. Well, first things first, I had to grab a cold one before heading to the garage. Now that we have the tone set, I opened up the gun case and removed the forks. It didn't take long and they were back in the triple clamp with front tire installed. Took a few pics made sure everything was torqued to spec and took for a spin. I just put on the Scotts and immediately noticed 2 things. The bike easily ran straight ahead and when I braked with the front the bike wasn't nose diving as it was before. I'll be going riding this weekend and have a better feel of the front. As for the rear, I ordered Indy's shock bolt kit and removed the stock heim joint and pressed in the new bushing. I'll probably wait till next week to install the rear shock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    Yes, the RT even got to see a few dirt roads :D
  17. Curtis76

Curtis76 Coug Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    2nd for Alex at Konflict....
    Luckily I live in the same area as Alex and was able to bring my F8 to his shop. Alex installed progressive springs on the front end and the TT HP shock on the back (set up for my weight and riding style). I just got back from a week in Baja and I can honestly say that the suspension work Alex did probably saved my life (...at least saved me from some nasty spills). I did hit many nasty rocks, holes and drops and only bottomed out a couple times. I did manage to go the bars, but that was because the road was washed on my side and it was too late to change lines. I was able to get the front wheel across but the back caught it and I was bucked 15ft in front of the bike. Was able to ride out - the F8 and the suspension worked flawlessly!
    Long story short... everybody in our group commented on my suspension and that it would of been a horrible week had I not upgraded from the stock crap. Oh btw, Alex told me when he pulled the stock shock off, the bolt/pin was already bent/damaged - and that was just from mostly slab riding around the Seattle area.
    You're in good hands with Alex and Konflict Motosports - this guy know his stuff

Have fun on your 'new' toy! It will be completely different ride!
    bowie2k3 likes this.
  18. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Great review! hope you keep this updated with reports and pics! Hope the Lvl 2 suspension will perform good enough for the money :D
  19. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    Today I had enough time and went ahead and installed the rear shock. Fortunately my rear upper shock bolt was NOT bent, but I did incorporate Indy's kit into the Touratech shock and installed the higher grade upper bolt that it comes with. The install was pretty painless and straight forward. After getting everything back together I took it for a spin. I will say that previously the suspension was mushy/spongy and the front dove and the rear squatted easily. Now the front and rear are both firm and are giving me great feedback. So far just riding on the street thru my neighborhood I am quite impressed. This weekend I am going on a camp and ride trip and will get to run some dirt and hopefully will have good results, feedback, and performance on the gravel. I'm definitely looking fwd to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So did you get the new $1800 TT extreme rear shock ?

Has anyone tried that yet?

What does konflict do to the forks specifically ? I see adjusters or did you already have those ?