Husqvarna TE630

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tagati, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Here's hoping so -- why would they throw away the #1 best thing about the bike?
  2. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I read that the overdrive in 5th and 6th are different and not as deep. I felt that 6th was too tall on the 610.
  3. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I would agree with you, if you kept the final ratio stock. I went up 3 teeth on the rear and now get some decent drive out of 6th gear.
  4. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not me - I love 6th - I am up just one tooth in the rear and ride at 70 to 80 mph real nice.
  5. riverrider

riverrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    visited Halls sat, steve had several 630s in crates out back. I hope to ride one this saturday, has several presold but one not sold.
  6. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 630 also has more power to drive sixth.
  7. davinist

davinist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to jump into this thread, as I've been thinking of moving from my 12GS to a mid-size dual purpose....which up to now has been a choice between a 690E or used XChallenge. Having read more about the TE 630 I'm adding it to the list, but the reviews I've read have all mentioned poor fueling at low revs, which puts me off a little. In some of the articles I've read it's been mentioned that the 610 had the same problem, but which improved after the first service, is this likely to be the case with the 630?

The Turkish Husqvarna importer doesn't appear to be thinking of bringing this model in (they really are a useless bunch). This means importing myself, and also sorting out someone to do the servicing. There are official Husky mechanics here (official in Turkey means they had a cup of tea with the importer, who thought they were nice people and gave them a certificate). Are these highly trained professionals likely to need to learn much more for the 630 than for the 610? Or, how is easy will it be for me to do the basic servicing myself?
  8. Tagati

Tagati tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer:
    Townsville, Capital of Free Australia (NQ)
    I am hoping yes. From what I know that has been the case with the 610. It also seems they need a few thousand K's for the motor to liven up
  9. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Yeah, but they lowered the ratios in 5th and 6th, probably should have left the gearing alone if the 20% increase in power is for real. Stock gearing on the 610 has you dropping to 5th or even 4th on the biggest passes here in the west.
  10. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I seem to remember reading that they changed the ratios on the SM to be different from the TE.
  11. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Form cycle world:

Riding on twisty mountain roads around Lago di Varese, the SMS was a blast. Lots of leverage from the wide Magura bar makes flicking the bike into apexes easy and instantaneous, while the SMS's steeper rake (by 1 degree) and reduced trail (3.27 in. compared to the TE's 4.53) favors snappy handling. With taller final-drive gearing but shorter internal fifth and sixth ratios, the SMS was ideal for quick riding but wasn't great when lugging through villages at low speed. As an urban commuter and weekend carver, the SMS is awesome, but for more versatility, the TE proved its worth on our afternoon ride.

Anyone have the spec on the 630 ratios? I have the ones for the 610.
  12. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Husqvarna may have made some production changes, but .pdf spec sheets dated 12/09 and 03/10 from the U.S. website (the links for which I no longer see) show gear ratios as follows for both the TE630 and the SM630:

1st: 2.615 (34/13)
    2nd: 1.812 (29/16)
    3rd: 1.350 (27/20)
    4th: 1.091 (24/22)
    5th: 0.916 (22/24)
    6th: 0.769 (20/26)

The latest spec sheet has the "R&D Husky" logo at the top, and while the descriptive & marketing text is in English, the specs section is written in Italian. The chassis specs and electrical system specs are definitely for the TE630 and SM630 indpendently (and not from the 610). However, the gear ratio specs are the same in both sections of the sheet, and seem to be identical to the TE/SM 610, and so may have been "carried over" until the TE/SM 630 data were finalized and/or updated.

I have no idea if the magazines got it wrong or if Husqvarna made gear-box changes after publishing these two different .pdfs. Hence, I believe that I may be reproducing old information, but it is all that I have at the moment. I continue to scour all sources for confirmation, as this information is critical to me. If I find anything more current, I'll let you know.
  13. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:

From my 610 owners manual – looks like the 630 and the 610 are the same – makes sense – beat ratios in class

1st ..........................................2,615 (Z 34/13)
    2nd........................................ 1,812 (Z 29/16)
    3rd..........................................1,350 (Z 27/20)
    4th ..........................................1,091 (Z 24/22)
    5th ......................................... 0,916 (Z 22/24)​
    6th ......................................... 0,769 (Z 20/26
  14. jtemple

jtemple Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of them is mine, hands off! :wink:

Steve has given me my VIN and I have sent him the money for the full price of the bike. He's shipping it to me and I hope to have it in a few weeks!

I sold my pristine ZX-10R for this, I hope it's worth it! :clap
  15. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    Did they upgrade the cam chain on the 630?
  16. Xcuvator

Xcuvator Justa Venturer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the chain, but the adjuster is new.
  17. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand that the whole top end is a different valve train - so one would think they used a different chain setup.
  18. WFO

WFO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anymore new owners out there? pics or modifications ?
    I am waiting impatiently for mine to show up !!!!!!!!!!!
  19. jtemple

jtemple Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is scheduled to be picked up by the shipper early this week, with delivery roughly a week later. I also made a pretty substantial dirt gear purchase that should be shipping this week.
  20. Kingsqueak

Kingsqueak Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Checked out the SM630 and the TE630 today, fresh out of their crates basically.

Oh boy do I want a TE...can't swing it right now really, but when i can, it's singing to me.

It's everything that I didn't like about my KLR, fixed by an order of magnitude (yes apples to ice cream by comparison). Power, fixed, brakes, fixed, suspension for my hulking mass, fixed, headlight..seems fixed. I'd likely miss the fuel capacity a bit, but I bet that is fixed after a year or so too.

The seat improvement over the 610 is immediately noticed and the headlight is a whole other step up too. I think I'd just have to toss on some rally risers as about my only change to one out of the crate.

Didn't ride it, purposely left the gear home, things are a bit too tight to swing one right now.