Anyone have experience with Wunderlich aux light guards?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by El Gato, Feb 11, 2013.

1. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, over the weekend I discovered what many here have already discovered... the OEM GSA foglights are in a stupid location and the stock plastic mounting rings are pretty cheesy and break easily. Luckily, they're not that expensive to replace, but it's annoying nonetheless. I noticed that Wunderlich has some guards for the OEM fog lights. Does anyone here have them, and do they actually protect against breaking the plastic mounting ring in even the gentlest of tip-overs? I know that at $120 I can buy several replacement mounting rings, but avoiding the aggravation of this might be worth it if these things actually work.

[​IMG]
  2. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree - I'm not crazy about the grid even though I don't ride at nigh that often. I rely on the lights mostly as conspicuity lights during the day.

Do you have a link to other aftermarket guards? I didn't see anything in the Touratech catalog.
  4. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just looked before my post...didn't see anything there at TT.

I guess that I was remembering these: (not mine)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R1200GS...Parts_Accessories&hash=item257ac0b097&vxp=mtr
  5. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks - yeah, I saw those on eBay but they appear to mount at only one point on the same screw that the aux light mounts to. I can't see how those would prevent against that plastic ring snapping.
  6. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about buying those too but for $80 more, I could buy a new set of Rigid LED lights. Out of pocket expense would be even less after selling OEM fog lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thought crossed my mind, but 1) I don't really need more light as I don't ride at night all that often, and 2) the better-built lights still mount in the same place so if I drop the bike again, rather than breaking a $28 plastic ring I may end up trashing a much more expensive light housing. I dunno...
  8. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    The Rigids don't have to mount in the same spot. Most folks mount them on the top of the crash bar in closer so they won't hit during a fall. I've already replaced a mounting ring on my GSA fog lights so I know your concern.
  9. Bill Treadway

Bill Treadway Cao Two

Oddometer:
    I had a set of the four element RIGIDS on my 1150 GSA. They were bulletproof. Mounted them in close on top of the factory crash bars. Had to power wash the caked up mud from them several times. Been down more than I like to admit but the lights never failed. Does anyone have the output specs on the factory lights? Unless they are in Clearwater territory, the best idea may be to sell them and put on a set of RIGIDS in a less exposed mounting... Great idea. Thanks