Got a cool watch? Let's see it.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Jungle Jim, Jan 22, 2007.

1. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

@fudgypup

It's well known in the watch "community" that a 100m water resistant mark doesn't mean that you can dive to a 100m depth with the watch (weird, but it's like that)

Here's what Wikipedia says about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark#Water_resistance_classification
  2. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    :nod

Only the 200m divers are ISO-certified. A 100m watch is fine for swimming and snorkeling. I think only the 200m and up (down?) Seiko divers have screw down crowns.

There are Chinese Seiko knockoffs, but those are usually easy to spot and look nothing like any official model.
  3. Goggles Paisano

Goggles Paisano La Muerte Peluda

Oddometer:
    Just got one of these to replace my grandad's Timex that took its last lickin' and stopped tickin'::cry

[​IMG]

Its alright, nice cheap watch for everyday.
  4. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    The eBay auction DID say it would come with a manual (didn't).

The watch is working great now. It did advance properly today and is no longer in arabic.

I'm not going to dive with this watch, I just want to make sure it's not going to fail if I jumped in the pool or got caught in a rainstorm. I have a real dive watch I would use (the Seamaster).
  5. Buccleuch

Buccleuch I'm just a bean, trying to get some sleep... Supporter

Oddometer:
    there are some guidelines about setting these watches. might want to google them. usually people avoid playing with the time/date between 9pm and 3am or something like that. try setting the date a day early and then advance forward to make sure you get the right day/date/time (am vs pm).

This.

Yes, do not attempt to "quick-set" either the day or date when the wristwatch is between the hours of 9 and 3. During this time, the advancing pawls are engaged in the teeth of the day and date wheels, and if you advance either while the pawls are engaged, you can damage and/or break things.

"Quick-set" refers to the crown being pulled out to the first position, where you can then click the day and date wheels independent of turning the hands of the watch. Of course, this only applies to the watch being between 9PM and 3AM, but when you first get the watch, or pick it back up after having been idle for a bit, you probably won't know whether it's between 9PM and 3AM, or 9AM and 3PM. At any time, you can pull the crown fully out, and advance the time, and day/date, by turning the hands through midnight, without any concern.

The Seiko 5's use plastic day and date wheels, and the advancing tabs can get broken if you don't heed the above warning. Indeed, this would apply to most any wristwatch with a day or day/date quick-set function.

Enjoy!

WA.

6. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    Limited edition #90 /150 worldwide, Tungsten Carbide, Swiss Automatic, Sapphire Double AR front, and sapphire case back .
    [​IMG]

Off course I love the ORANGE and BLUE, KTM style colors, wonder why?? LOL.
  7. Robert_C

Robert_C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will chime in that I have not seen fake seikos (that I am aware of); however, I have seen fake casios. Based on that observation, the cost of the legit item is not the sole driver, it is the potential for margin.
  8. kawalaser

kawalaser Hip to be square

Oddometer:

handsome watch. Always dig those aircraft-inspired sword hands.
  9. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    That is nice!
  10. Buccleuch

Oddometer:
    Tungsten carbide case! Wow! That's heavy, man! [Seriously - heh.]

That had to have been machined with diamond tools and/or EDM.

Beautiful!

WA.
  11. 1stiski

Oddometer:
    Interesting reading about Tungsten Carbide, actually a powder form compressed at high temps, can only be polished with diamond dust, super resistant to scratching like a sapphire, and resistant to chemicals of all sorts. It actually is classified as a ceramic . This watch has some interesting build notes. It actually has a stainless steel insert that houses the Swiss mechanical movement along with the stainless case since Tungsten Carbide can't be threaded. The Outer Tungsten Case is heated and the Stainless Inner liner is put in liquid nitrogen to shrink and the two are then put together to form one unit. . Its very cool . The back of the watch
    [​IMG]
  12. theregulator

theregulator Shut Up and Ride

Oddometer:
  13. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    Maybe, but it cost more than ten times what my SKX009 cost. NICE.

As to the tungsten carbide, IIRC that called sintered metal, and they also often chose to do that with TI, but for different reasons.

Diamond dust polishing...hm, be careful with that...a leather hone with some dressing and dust on it would probably work.
  14. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just how big is that puppy. I've read the specs which state "44mm width excluding the crown". Is the 44m just the width of the face or what? I like the looks of the Lum Tec watches, but dislike large watches.
  15. 1stiski

Oddometer:
    Actual measurements. : Front Sapphire crystal, (the face) 35mm From the base of the crown to the opposite end of the watch 45mm from the opposite end to the top of the crown: 50mm. It isn't huge on the wrist. Hope this helps.
    [​IMG]
    here is a further away pic , so you can see the relation to the wrist better
    [​IMG]
  16. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    That helps a lot, thanks.
  17. Buccleuch

Oddometer:
    Hardly JUST a Seiko!

I'm fascinated by Seiko's Spring Drive. Probably the first "new" design in mechanical wristwatch movements since Bulova's Caliber 214 of 1960.

WA.
  18. tslewisz

tslewisz Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

want.
  19. theregulator

theregulator Shut Up and Ride

Oddometer:
    Spring drive is truly amazing. The second hand movement is hypnotically smooth. Mine is running about 2 seconds fast PER MONTH.
  20. nomiles

nomiles Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer:
    That's a very very fine watch! :thumb :thumb