2014 KTM Adventure 1190 Thread

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by harryzgnilek, Dec 3, 2013.

1. reenmachine

reenmachine Rain or Shine

Oddometer:
    There's a chart starting on p.96 of your manual that shows what must be done at every service interval. People on here have been reporting a huge variety of costs, from maybe $100 plus parts to $300+. The KTM service guide calls for 71 minutes of labor.
  2. harryzgnilek

harryzgnilek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi

I know there is a list in the manual , just wanted to know if that is what the dealer is following or not

thanks for the info.. especially the 71 min labor avg.
  3. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    running 60 40 instead of 50 50 should help while still being safe for the motor but yea who knows how that translates to the rider's legs. With the cat delete and muffler it will run leaner and hotter unless someone figures out how to map it.
  4. Richterhome

Richterhome Richterhome

Oddometer:
  5. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    is it just heat on the riders legs or does the bike actually run hotter? mine seems to run far cooler than my 990, usually only half way on the gauge?
  6. irongrady

irongrady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's just been heat on the left leg for me so far.. Haven't ridden it in real heat yet but engine temps are pretty low even when I'm pushing the bike hard
  7. RobZorba

RobZorba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi JB,

The kit I purchased with the PowerParts auxiliary LED driving lamps, alarm system, and GPS mount was called the "Travel Kit" and there is another kit called the "Rally Kit" with bits for off road but not including the lights.

I'm very pleased with the lights, they are quality construction, mount very neatly, draw only 2A and the ultrabright LED's make a huge difference when driving at night. They are so bright that they dazzle oncoming traffic much more than the main headlight. As supplied the fitting instructions have them wired only via a supplementary on/off switch which I could not safely operate while driving. So I asked my dealer to modify the wiring so they only come on when the main beam is on. When I operate the dip switch the auxiliary lights turn off, leaving dipped headlights only.

I posted many pictures elsewhere on the forum so you can take a look. If you do get the dealer to install them, suggest you make sure the dealer takes the 12v "signal" feed to the aux lights relay coil from the main beam (blue wire).

Best wishes in your new purchase!

Rob
  8. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done anything to make it so only the LED daytime running lamps are on during the day instead of the low beam as well?
  9. baddrapp

baddrapp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried spraying the underside of the seat pan and the side panels with lizardskin ceramic insulation? It can be found at lizardskin.com.
  10. RobZorba

RobZorba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't modified this aspect of my 2014 'R EU adv, but during daytime only the LED running lamps are on, and not the dipped beam. Then at dusk/ nighttime, the LED running lights switch off and dipped beam comes on.

Maybe there are some differences in driving regulations in your country, if so that might explain why you have dipped beam and running lights both on. For example in USA these evap canisters are fitted, I guess to meet some wierd regulations. But in EU they are not fitted. Also in Canada, side reflectors have to be fitted on front forks, in the EU they are not required.
  11. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    In the US the low/dipped beam is on during daytime along with the LEDs.
  12. Vitruvian Mike

Vitruvian Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey there,

You could put on a cat elimination header. From what I understand, you shouldn't even need to remap after adding it. I've heard it cuts WAY down on the heat generated from what is primarily the cat. Even though the rear exhaust header is in the general area, the cat seems to be the biggest heat producer.

Cheers,
    VM

13. GearedUp

GearedUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go into the "settings menu" and turn the daytime running lights "on". The low beam light will then come on at startup but turn off when its light outside, leaving only the led lights on.
  14. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I think I've kept up with this thread, and it looks like most peeps are going to run hard bags. But I think I'd like to use my Wolfman Expedition dry (soft) bags, is there a set of racks that would work best for this, and give me the option of hard bags later if I did that kind of traveling?
  15. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:

Check this thread out from wolfman

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938841

- go to post #15. Good pics on "JBirds" set-up. Other than the Jesse and one other ----(don't recall name but gives a different -closer- option of you have a Remus) Holan maybe??---
    They all seem to be about the same in width. A few sit higher but would think they'd all be about the same as far as the Wolfman and still have hardbag usability.
  16. JHpowderhound

JHpowderhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I finally got the call today from my dealer here in Jackson Hole, no the bikes not here but it shipped 4 days ago. It should be here any day now which is good because I'm planning on leaving on it next week to head south and into warm, hopefully hot weather. I'm planning a mostly paved trip thru southern Utah and maybe N AZ or where ever looks good.

I have a break between construction projects and haven't had a vacation in 2 years, and haven't taken a motorcycle road trip in way toooo long. So I'm going for warmth and to explore.

I'm stoked. If anybody has any good routes they want to share or if someone wants to meet up for a day ride ect. Let me know.

Got a lot of work to get her set up but it'll be fun.

Maybe I can get started tomorrow, or the next. :clap:freaky

Eric
  17. TDsurf

TDsurf Orange Flyer

Oddometer:
    Hi fellow inmates,
    I posted pix's of my dirty bike after a week in Death Valley riding dirt and rocks.
    After getting home I finally had time to clean up and decided to put the Uni Filter on that I bought through Touratech. One of the first things I asked about when picking up my new 1190 R was if they had addressed the air-box leakage problem on the 2013's, the dealer and the rep from KTM, that just happened to be there said yes, and it had a new part number for the 2014's.
    Well on opening her up I found a lite dusting all over the inside of the air box and in the stacks. Here are the photos. I called and they said it was no big deal.
    It certainly makes me nervous.
    Any thoughts?
    By the way I was have lots of heat like everyone else off the engine so I cut up some plastic and zip tied it to the frame, Voila! no more slow cooking of my thighs. The engine is running at around 175 to 200 degrees in out side temps of 60 to 90 degrees.
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]
  18. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had no issues with the 1190 running hot, it actually runs pretty cool just the rear cylinder puts out heat when in slow traffic. My 950 ran hotter than the 1190.
  19. OrangeV

OrangeV Long timer

Oddometer:
    In colder climate conditions having that heat is welcome.
    I rode my 1190 through a very hot summer here in Oztralia and didnt whinge too much about it... My focus was the snarl and growl of the amazing motor..:clap
  20. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    Odd...I remember seeing this setting when I first got the bike but now I can't find it. I did get a firmware update since then -- I wonder if that functionality was removed.