LED projector head light Project.....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jan 22, 2014.

1. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    Just looked up the specs for that projector. Seems very doable. and I'm liking the prices for the modules. For grins, I looked up the Hella Bi-LED module, the price...still coughing on that one.

I really liked the combination setup that the Ducati Designs setup had.

They were both Hella. One was a bi-halogen, the other was a traditional reflector for high beam only.

Even back then, with 65W halogens, I couldn't out ride the lights on the ST4s at night at 140+
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Indeed. They are very good lights. In fact, I think the ones to beat. ( OEM) I had a long talk with the owner of the US distributor ( Rallylights.com) and he is so extremely helpful, and have an infinite amount of knowledge to add. I asked him about the 60mm vs the 90 mm, and he mentioned that the 90mm are made for cars, whereas the 60 are for compact apps, and were made for the buell's. When I then asked which ones gave the best light pattern...least scatter.... etc.... he said that they really were about the same. They mount them ( Rallylights.com) is police cars, and the cops mentioned that they no longer need their spots. They can also be mounted up with the 9011 lamp ( halogen) and that is the closest you can get to a HID with a halogen. ( 300 lumens away) I am liking the setup of the 60mm, along with the price. The LED's were sure pricy... ha ha. I think these will leave a good test base for the HID conversion. They were out of the low beams, as they sell a ton of them, but mid next week, they should have them back, and I will get a set, and experiment with Halogen vs HID in them, before I begin the Carbonation.
  3. kyjenkin

kyjenkin Squatchy

Oddometer:
    Electicalconnection.com has 25w Cree LED headlight bulbs that come with a voltage regulator & coming fan for $75

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  4. bumbee800

bumbee800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That setup is too big, and does not look OEM. It is great for off road work, as you tend to move slower. I want to create a OEM looking setup, and for that purpose, I think the 60mm Hellas will fit the bill. I would be ok with the 90mm as well, but according to the Hella importer, they are not any better than the 60mm, and fit will be an issue, as they are a bit bigger.
  6. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
    I just want to chime in here. I've used the $700 dollar bi-LED hella 90mm lamp. single beam hella lamp (60, 90) with HID, JW Speaker's 90mm LED low beam.

In short summary.
    Anytime you have to 'engineer light pattern (i.e. DOT or ECE approved Low beam), LED is BAD. It's just harder to do with the directional nature of the beam.

LED is great for high beam and offroad applications, because you are just throwing a bunch of light forward ( no big reflector, or lens, simple to do)

For street legal applications, still nothing beats high quality projector lamp with HID. Even the hella's LED projector is not as good as the HID version.

When you factor in the cost, getting aux, or high beam LED might be effective, but for your main driving light, stick with good projector+hid.
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome info. Thanks again for sharing your R&D. I think at this point it looks like 60mm Hella projector+HID for low beam, and the 90mm Hella Freeform with either HID, or LED.
    Thanks again.:clap:clap:freaky:freaky
  8. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
    FYI, 90mm Single lamp Hella (not the bi-xeon, bi-led, bi-halogen model) is an older design. The actual projector in the 90mm lens is much smaller than 90mm, it's also much smaller than the 60mm lens. 60mm is the newer design and the entire circumference is the glass projector lens.

The even newer Hella bi-whatever 90mm lenses has true 90mm projector lenses.

They are all amazing for HID application anyways.
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers. I spend quite a lot of time with Will, and Dave at Rallylights.com, and they are fantastic, at sharing info on their lamps. I think that perhaps since many cars still have Halogen for high beams, the free flow smaller reflector lens carried over. The HID side is a bit easier to manage on the high beam side, as you mentioned that not it is just a matter of throwing the light forward, not worrying about hot spots. As you have observed that the 60mm Hella does not project as far forward, as the free form 90mm, I would go with the 90, based on that.....although you retained the halogen bulb on your setup. You think the 60mm would throw any better with the HID, or LED. I will go with the better beam, as I have room to spare.
    Thanks
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    So after asking many different people, that have worked with all kinds of lights, I have decided on the following lights.
    Low beam..... Hella 60mm Projector with 9005 HID 5000K...
    [​IMG]
    http://www.rallylights.com/all/lights/headlamps/hella-60mm-projector-headlamp-module.html

And for the high beam I chose the bit more expensive, but what I believe is the best looking LED I have ever seen.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Long-Range-Extreme-LED-Light_p_61.html

I will begin as soon as the lights come in.
  11. jengel451

Oddometer:
    that is an awesome combo!!!!!!!!
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. I really wanted the best out there, but realized that if I end up offering these as retro kits, it might be too much with a 230 price tag. So I decided to make this combo first, and then look into offering the 90mm Hella with either the 9011 Halogen, or the 9005 HID, but that comes later. I now have to look at the mount of the two different units, but I am super excited, as both of these units are king of their realms.
  13. jengel451

Oddometer:
    I can tell you right now. I'm first in line!!!!

I've witnessed first hand the Cyclops light your talking about, the thing is an animal. And, if you can do it in such a way that the Amber cover can be put on easily, even better.
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds great. Yes, the covers are a must, and I plan on having it easy to install.
  15. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Edit... never mind, I'll watch the story develop. :lurk:lurk

David
  16. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    This just came in the mail today....
    [​IMG]
  17. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. jengel451

Oddometer:
    Ok, I take back my rib in another thread :D
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Come again.... I missed that...???:D
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I unpacked the 25 watt led high beam yesterday, and fired it up with a dc power supply. Here are a few initial observations. Color temp is perfect. I will say about 5000-5500K. Throw is crazy far, but with a caveat. I will classify this as a pencil beam. I know cyclops does not use this, but it is thin and very far. I got what I wished for. The caveat..... poor spread in the upfront area. I will be quick to say that is not the lights fault. It is doing what it was designed to do, and it is doing it great. Mind you this is with the single led on only. I suspect this will remedy itself, with the addition of the Hella 60mm single projector. Come to thing about it, I think this will be a perfect combo. If any of you are planing to run a single 25W LRE with nothing else, I think you will fall short in the immediate 100 feet illumination. I don't see why you would do that though, without your low beam on. Mind you, this is going to be a stock headlight replacement. You can hang what ever lights on the bike you choose. That is not the point, merely how good can you make a OEM replacement. Stay tuned for pictures tonight. Suposed to be dust stormy again the next 4 days though. In closing..... I have never seen such a clean, bright, long throw LED. I can just imagine two of them. Very impressive.