The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    Hard to say, everyone’s bottom is unique... I find the seat very firm, but somehow it doesn’t cause me any issues and I can ride it for several hours without discomfort. I’ve been on all day rides and ended the day no worse for wear than when I started.

For reference, I also have an F800GS with both the standard and comfort seats - on the standard seat I need to get off the bike after an hour, for the comfort seat, maybe 2 hours. Within a month of returning from a 3000 mile trip around the Alps last summer I put my deposit on the 1200 and only use my 800 for shorter journeys or when I ride rough trails.
  2. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't carried passengers yet, so can't say anything about the passenger seat, although it does seem large and well shaped to hold the passenger in place.

The stock front seat is pretty good. I'm usually pretty sensitive to seat comfort, and it has been fine for several 1000 mile weekends and one 6 day trip of 2500 miles so far. The seat is kind of soft, so I'm not sure how well the foam will hold up long-term, but its great so far.
  3. Liquidape

Liquidape Shiftless When Idle

Oddometer:
    My wife likes the passenger accommodations much better on the stock Wasserboxer seat than the Corbin I had on my '04 Multistrada.
    I on the other hand miss the Corbin I had on the Multi. I have the high seat and the stock seat for the GS. The high seat is OK, but still not all day comfortable for me. I'll be sending the stock seat out over the winter to be shaped by one of the Mayers and then sell the high seat.
  4. mefly2

mefly2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...just select metric or Englsih ... kilos or pounds just as you do with most electronics...
  5. sbrownn

sbrownn SlowMo

Oddometer:
    Yeah, l I should have left the students to fend for themselves and gone home at 3:00.
  6. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    I'm going stur crazy for the price of the new WC Adventure. Does anyone have an inside track to the information. Some are saying 23,000 USD give or take 1,000, most likely give. Thoughts? Maybe this has been hashed out already, if so any help to where? (yes I searched around :D)
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Wow, take it to the stupid level.:norton If there is a chance of snow, and you are going to piss and moan about riding in it, take the damn car!:deal

Jim :brow
  8. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Full prices and specs are up on the UK BMW site if they are any good to you.
  9. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over here it is allready in the configurator. Full option (ex cases) it comes to about 20300 Euro's, which is about 400 Euro more than a simularly spec GS.
  10. sbrownn

sbrownn SlowMo

Oddometer:
    Not pissing and moaning. Just making a comment as to an issue with the lights. If you can't think of anything intelligent to say, and obviously you can't, please keep your comments to yourself.

Try commenting when you haven't been drinking.
  11. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    JVB and sbrownn
    You can stop now.

Really you can.

JJ
  12. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think Sbrown did a good comment about snow.

As BMW builds his bike more and more like his cars, heating front lights could be a good option for some countries.
    I'm sometimes driving in snow too.

[​IMG]
  13. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am reminded of my youth when a bike was all I had to ride to work, regardless of the weather. There were many evenings when I would come home looking like a snowman and colder than a duck's ass in January. Back then riding in ice and snow was fun. Now, as the bones age, taking a car seems like the thing to do; however, I do understand why you'd want some heat at various points on the bike to melt ice and snow.
  14. thinker

thinker Simple is Better

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys, my 2014 GS (Met. Grey) will be at my dealers on Tuesday, and at my house by the weekend :d

Pics to come, I promise.

My bike does not have ESA, and I'd like to hear from other non-ESA owners about their bikes.

Great thread by the way:clap !

thanks, Steve
  15. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc Hooligan extraordinaire

Oddometer:

Personally, would not buy a bike without ESA. Did a test ride on one without and did not like it. If you had ordered one with ESA, wait for it.
    Just my 0.02$
  16. thinker

thinker Simple is Better

Oddometer:
    I figured those kind of replies would follow my post. I ordered my bike with what I wanted on it, to each his own I say.
  17. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    And I expected you expected it. :)

Two questions:

1) Have ridden a WGS with the ESA and the modes?

2) Do you plan to upgrade your suspension with 3rd party?

Any one "yes" (or both) will relax comments like the above from Aviator Doc.
    If both are "no" than count me in the crowd along with him.
    (not that it matters or changes anything)
  18. advrdr

advrdr Mark

Oddometer:
    My bike does not have ESA, and I'd like to hear from other non-ESA owners about their bikes.

Great thread by the way:clap !

thanks, Steve[/QUOTE]

I ordered mine without ESA and don't have it yet but my reason for ordering a non ESA was I'm 250 pounds with gear and the bike is not sprung for me nor does BMW offer a different spring, so my plan is to purchase aftermarket suspension when it becomes available.
    When the service manager heard that I ordered a non ESA he simply said good choice.

Maybe I screwed up maybe not who knows...
  19. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    My 2013 GSW has ESA, my previous BMW's have not.
    If I could/would have ordered the bike exactly as I wanted it I would have added the LED headlamp and cruise control and that's it.
    I personally don't find the ESA feature to be of much benefit and could easily live without it, I have a feeling that it's going to be one of the first systems to fail and become an expensive problem to deal with.
  20. advrdr

advrdr Mark

Oddometer:

Funny mine has LED package and cruise and no ESA...