The Mobius Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DR. Rock, May 23, 2008.

1. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    I know you're just being cheeky Chris, but it raises an important point; in the birkshires I didn't have another 2200miles of the ride to go. :twitch And I wasn't in the middle of nowhere -- there was a trailer waiting to carry me and my bike back home only a few miles away. One's risk-taking has to be recalibrated on trips like these and already Dave and I were pushing it harder than LDF and I normally do. It's something we all talked about that evening at the campfire. :kumbaya Our priority is to enjoy as much riding as possible in two weeks, and risking a bad crash or injury or bike meltdown on day 5 means losing 9 days of riding.

PS: did you watch the vid? it wasn't even a goat trail -- I had to walk up sideways to fit. crazy.
  2. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    As much as we tried to lure him further into the Idaho depths, Dave had to head back north. We decided to ride into Priest Lake and grab some breakfast before we split up. We were encouraged to get a move on by the weather system that passed through in the morning.

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1517336521_VHxNvbX?width=640&height=360"></iframe>

it was a straight-shot, flat and wide transit liason to town.

[​IMG]

Today's route would take us for gas at Priest Lake, then a challenge point at the top of Hoodoo mountain, more gas at Athol, then loads more challenge points traversing through the heart of the Coeur D Alene National Forest, eventually getting gas again at Wallace.

[​IMG]

the weather was threatening for most of the day, and we still made almost 200miles with all these verticals:

[​IMG]
  3. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    at the time, but doesn't it look like Dave braided cornrows in his hair? :toney

[​IMG]

we had a nice breakfast at

[​IMG]

where the owner / cook / waiter chatted with us about our trip, and swapped off-road stories and intel of where we were headed. He was into 4WD. He even took our pitcher: (note the thought-balloon coming out of my head :lol3)

[​IMG]

and then it was just us two again.

[​IMG]

Bye Dave, it was great riding with you, :wave Hope you can join us again on Mobius 9 or beyond.

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1517337070_F8JhTjN?width=640&height=360"></iframe>

And for the rest of you, the invitation still stands. :evil

M9 scheduled for May11-28 beginning and ending in Idaho Falls, looping south through UT, NV, OR, and ID.
  4. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    we jumped right back onto dirt,

[​IMG]

and started to climb.

[​IMG]

Maybe a break in the clouds,

[​IMG]

or maybe we were just climbing above them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then the final push to the top

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1517337564_CS5NQ5b?width=640&height=360"></iframe>

:clap
  5. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    I look like an angry Klingon, not exactly the look I normally go for :D.

Too bad I didn't have more time. I had a great 6 days and I'm loving re-living it through your wonderful story telling. And now to see what I missed :(:
  6. RenoDeano

RenoDeano High Desert Drifter

Oddometer:
    Where the pavement ends & the West begins.
    Come on Doc. it didn't look that bad, and you had the bikes to do it. Reno Deano
  7. DRRambler

Oddometer:
    20 years ago on my CR250 I'd have tried it, but not on a fully laden DR650...or even an unladen DR650; not in my skill set but I believe Doc could've done it (and he gave it more than a few seconds thought). I'm fully impressed by anyone that rides up that trail on any moto. By the time we got to that point the potential overheating issue and the time elapsed since leaving LDF was weighing on our minds...we made the right call.
  8. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    Negative Dean, I appreciate your confidence in us, and in other circumstances it'd be tempting, but I wouldn't have taken anything heavier than a trials bike up there. And even then I'd probably have to carry it most of the way. Literally, it was a hiking trail. The road ended, and I'm not even sure it was legal to ride beyond. Plus, it was a set-up for a really bad situation -- low on water, we'd left LDF about 2 miles back, it was late in the day, my bike was already overheating with a dodgy patched radiator... Dave, back me up here. We'd already pushed far enough to get there. That section was the most technical of the entire 2 weeks.

PS: been enjoying your pics -- looks like the season is closing in soon, there was some snow in the last set!

[edit]: you beat me to it Dave!
  9. DRRambler

Oddometer:
    Sitting at home sick today :puke1, doing the F5 thing, enjoying the RR. But I did completely disassemble, re-jet, and reassemble my carb today:clap. Next up, emulators in the forks.
  10. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    We left our Mobius Sticker --

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and took some pichers,

[​IMG]

It felt good to earn a tough challenge point. This whole section was labeled blue, and it was an order of magnitude easier than what we'd encountered at the WigWams.

Mini-LDF:

[​IMG]