Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. toddzacker

toddzacker Just the Shame

Oddometer:
    Ok Chuck,

Here it is...I'm the newest to the GS/Adventure Rider here, but I'm with you. I spent 4 years racing hare scrambles to Supercross in the late '80's, I switch to road racing and ran every thing from Super Teams Endurance to Superbike. I road dirt bikes on and off for the last 18 years.

When I got the chance to ride on the road again I did my research. I rode 30 different bikes, everything from Ducatis to Harleys. I thought I new what I wanted until I rode the GS, then I started to compare everything to the GS and realized, WHY??? The GS is the bike!

On this bike I can scrape the pegs in the corners or bury it in the mud(I haven't yet but I could and not worry). I see these videos of guys and I talk to friends I raced with that do everything we use to with the 250's, except fly 70 ft triples, but you now what I mean. I rode a RMZ250 this weekend and as I was I realized, I don't need this I have a GS. I just need to learn to ride it the way it is intended.

I know a lot of you have so much experience with these big bikes and would love to get the chance to learn from you. I look at these websites and see these classes, then realize, we have most that terrain near us and don't utilize it. So let's do just what Chuck is saying, learn to use these bikes to the capabilities instead of going back to the little bikes for the difficult stuff. Of course, we are not going to be doing observed trails on these bikes, but we can run them almost any where.

I know I have not met many of you and can't wait to, so let me know what we have around here to get better. Andrew has proven his abilities at the GS Trophy Challenge, I hear Eddy has done the RawHyde camps, Jeff you have logged some serious time in the saddle on almost every continent, etc.... I need to pic your brains and everyone else I can, so I can get out everything this bike is capable of.

I didn't purchase this bike to just tool up and down the road. I want to ride on the beach in Corrolla, without getting stuck. I want to ride for hours with out touching pavement and without letting the crash bars touch the ground. this is the start of it, then off to countries that I may not touch but one or two paved roads for days.

I have only put 6000 miles on this bike in three months of ownership, and road off road a couple times. First time on the AP and fire trails at Mountain Lake(forgot to turn the ABS off, That won't happen again), second in West Point at the "Mud Runs", Third was 2-up at Crabtree falls and the trails around there. I have done some misc off roading here and there on dirt roads and trails but nothing were I was on them for an hour or more at a time like the others.

Okay...who wants to put some dirt under there tires and start logging some serious time on the trails?

Hope that help Chuck...I think it just became a plea for help more than anything.
  2. toddzacker

Oddometer:

Im there just send me and address:dg
  3. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.

Welcome inmate. Hope to ride with you some time.. I split my time between the valley and Norfolk. Meet and eat.
  4. toddzacker

Oddometer:
    Blooch...thank you and yes we do have to meet up...Nicole and I wanted to try to make it to your weeekend in Elkton, because all the great fun everyone told us about and the great rides. We had an event already planned before you knew about it and could not bag it, because they change to date for us. That would have been bad to ditch after they accommodated us. But we will definitately make next year if we can.
  5. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought everyone knew how to get to Guy's house.

:hide
    .. or at least his Garage which is right behind the building where his wife lives.:D

This is what happens when I have to be into work early to do 30 seconds worth of work.
  6. toddzacker

Oddometer:
  7. toddzacker

Oddometer:
  8. toddzacker

Oddometer:
    Speaking of that...Can someone help me change my name on this or am I stuck with my original name? I want to be cool like everyone else and have a neat handle. Thats CB talk I think...Do I need to make a whole new inmate profile...now thats ADV talk...:evil...think I'm getting this...:clap:clap:clap
  9. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. toddzacker

Oddometer:
  11. Jeff Munn

Jeff Munn Just along for the ride..

Oddometer:

Geez, go away for a couple of days and I open the forum up to find everyone's panties in a bunch. :rofl But at least we're keeping the forum politics free. Thank goodness for that.

What's that old saw about opionions are like ???? Every one of us has one. Yeah. That one. I agree with practically everything that has been said here about the GS series of BMWs. Granted, everyone knows I'm a dyed in the wool BMW bigot. But like many have said here, I've owned and do own many bikes, but if I HAD to sell everything and only keep one bike, it would be my GS. The bike is built like a tank, more comfortable than any I've ever ridden, and can do far my tecnically difficult stuff than I ever will want to, be it high speed twisties or single track. It's only downfall is the difficulty in picking it back up off the ground. :lol3

My GS is hanging in there with just shy of 140K on it. 20-30K of that has been in absolutely abusive conditions, mostly not on pavement, or worse, on pavement that has horribly deteriorated leaving potholes with jagged edges. Heck, I had so much confience in it that I intentionally chose to use it on my world trip (vice buying a new one) knowing it had over 100K on it already, That is confidence in a machine. :deal

So in response to ToddZ, I'd love to host a dual sport (big bike) teaching weekend here at our place in WV. I've never taken a off-road course, but have some experience, Eddy has and could share, along with Andrew or anyone else who would like to offer teaching and advice. I've a few beds inside, 130+ acres outside and miles of gravel, dual track and single track here on the property. Then we could move off-property and be into the GW Forest in 20 minutes with lots of FS roads and easy water crossings. I would be happy to host it, and spend the entire weekend helping people learn and try new techniques under controlled conditions. No macho BS. No large groups of people standing with cameras waiting to post to Facebook.

I think ToddZ's idea is great, there is a need to help each other out, and it shouldn't cost $300 for a weekend. The only problem is finding a date that is convenient to all. Or heck, finding several dates. :D

[​IMG]

jeff
  12. toddzacker

Oddometer:
    +2 for that weekend...I also want to talk to you about the safety of riding to CanCun!!! I have a NASM in CanCun in January and would love to ride intead of fly. WHY??? some might ask...BECAUSE I CAN!!! :rofl Anyway enough with the excitement...:clap:clap:clap

I'm in 100% as long as I don't have my daughter does not have volleyball that weekend.:happay
  13. toddzacker

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know the mobile app for iPhones for adv forums & others that makes this easier?
  14. tg4360

tg4360 Misfit Toy

Oddometer:
    Search "Tapatalk"
  15. toddzacker

Oddometer:
    Got it thanks...now I feel like I'm part of the group...well better not push it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be in on this without a doubt! Your spot of WV is a lovely place to visit.
  18. toddzacker

Oddometer:
  19. tg4360

tg4360 Misfit Toy

Oddometer:

Oh you'll know you are part of the group when you start getting your full share of abuse.

I get mine from Jeff when he insists on talking politics with me.........:kboom
  20. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:

:y0!

Just looking at this weekends nice weather forecast and thinking about getting up in the hills for at least one day. anybody want to go?