Salida Riding?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by 602, Dec 31, 2012.

1. 602

602 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to be at Mt Princeton for a family gathering on Friday and Saturday of this weekend. I am bringing the girlfriend and our two bikes; KX250F and KDX200.

I have ridden Salida and surrounding areas during the summer months, so I am aware of what the options are when dry. But my knowledge of Winter time Salida is not as good. I have been told the area is in a banana belt and gets sheltered from many of the snow storms that hit Monarch and places further up. Searching the old threads, it looks like Fourmile OHV is popular in the winter time. But also looking at the old posts, I mostly see big bikes at Fourmile. Is there enjoyable riding for our bikes? Neither of us like to go cruise on fire roads.

If not Fourmile, are there any other good options in the area? My fallback plans in order of preference are: PMI; Fountain Hare Scramble track, Texas Creek, Penrose or Snowy 717.

Any thoughts or suggestions from those in the know would be highly appreciated. And if anyone wants to join, the offer is always extended. :deal
  2. Dozer Dillon

Dozer Dillon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We wre going to try to ride 4 Mile on Saturday depending on the snow they get today and tomorrow. They have a little snow now, but rideable.
  3. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here in Salida, we got about an inch of snow overnight. I rode yesterday and south facing slopes up to about 7,800' were clear and dry; different story today. Looks like more snow fell above town.

I don't know about Fourmile. Maybe call Mountain Tech Yamaha up in Buena Vista for some info.

Fourmile has plenty of fun stuff of smaller bikes; it's more fun on smaller bikes IMHO, but isn't everything? :lol3
  4. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    That cafe next to the Super 8 still good? Country something. Its been too long but I sure have had some good meals there. OK, back to the thread.
  5. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Country Bounty? I don't know; I haven't been there in many many years.

Go downtown for the good restaurants. :nod
  6. Dozer Dillon

Dozer Dillon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coyote Cantina has an excellent breakfast burrito. We usually eat breakfast there before our ride.
  7. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats it, we love that place. Never had anything that wasn't excellent and great service. Thanks.
  8. Barnstormer

Barnstormer Logistique

Oddometer:
    Give The Fritz a try. Downtown, right in front of the park.
  9. 602

602 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bad news... My 250F is torn apart for at least another week while I put on new suspension and some other various parts.

Good news... My girlfiend was at MotoAdventure today and decided to buy a used KX 250 2 stroke. May I ask, "How many of your girlfriends and or wifes, buy a dirt bike on a whim?" :ear I havent been dating her for very long yet, but I did find a keeper. :clap

We are headed out to Forumile on Sunday morning to ride for most of the day. Invitation to ride with us is always extended.
  10. ColoradoV-Strom

ColoradoV-Strom HEY Y'ALL WATCHIS!!

Oddometer:
    Not to mention the Margarita's!!:freaky
  11. velocityjunky

velocityjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    any reports how was fourmile, never been so interested in conditions
  12. 602

602 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too much snow. We stopped for a short time on Friday to check things out but didn't ride near Buena Vista at all. We ended up riding in Pueblo on Sunday instead.
  13. BuilderScott

BuilderScott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone got a snow update for possible riding this weekend? Temps are expected to be decent. Thanks.
  14. velocityjunky

velocityjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump how's fourmile?

Never been, is it entertaining enough, how much singletrack?
  15. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. goodburbon

goodburbon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So much good riding so close to me. One of my neighbors leads guided ATV tours at Texas Creek. I've really got to get off road more.

I'm in the Cotopaxi Area
  17. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    You able to ride during the week?
  18. goodburbon

goodburbon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes and no. I work out of town, with an irregular schedule. While I'm home I can ride all week:evil