KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good question. Sorry, I haven't had trouble keeping it hooked up on the standard (hot) map, so I never bothered to mess with it.
  2. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trail Tech makes a great one I use it on my Trail Tech triclops light :evil
  3. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    a great what?
  4. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    I assume they mean using a trailtech handlebar switch as a map switch...

I use one as a fan switch on my 450. Simple & cheap ($15). Comes with bullet or blade connectors.

[​IMG]

No comment on the need for a map switch... Neither my 06 450 or 06 300 have adjustable maps.

PS: Welcome home Ned!
  5. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    I bought the switch from Slavens Racing (http://www.slavensracing.com/p_ignitionmapswitch.htm)

It plugs into the wire that for my bike is exposed, right above the black (ignition?) box, just to the left of the fuel cap. The wire is black & white, with a male/female plug connecting in a loop to a grey wire. The device simply has it's own male/female, and connects right in.

At a cruise, I can flip the switch and after about one second, there is a noticable increase or decrease in power, depending on which way you flip the switch.

I've found that "low" is a little more comfortable for cruising and for woods riding. It takes a little bit of the edge off.

Got the bike clean today, too - might as well show it off:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Bike looks Mint!
  7. PAF

PAF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone ...

I can not find information on tormenting me a question ...
    I have a 2009 EXC 400 and I have a question for users EXC models.

I have a KTM Power part radiator guard and I read that the 13l tank excludes installations along with this.

Whitch of the radiator guards match the KTM 13l tank and KTM radiator fan with?
    Do you have some experience in this topic?
  8. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if any of the good radiator guards work with the 13L tank, but since the tank protects the radiators with the shrouds (which are rigid as they contain fuel), I'm not sure why you would want radiator guards in addition.
  9. PAF

PAF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for answer.
    First of all because I have already fit on bike this radiator fan and guard.
    Second because I would like making change tank between racetrack training and longer trip without any problems and additional things except just remove seat.
    This is reason why I want leave or change radiator guard.
  10. motomark39

motomark39 I reckon so Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the 530, with Flatland radiator guards that had the cross brace modified to fit the fan, and also have the Acerbis 3.4 which goes right on with this setup and the also have the Acerbis 6.3 which is supposed to fit the same.
    Acerbis supplies two rubber bumper/stops that go where the radiator shrouds would normally connect at the bottom of the radiator, for the shroud part of the tank to rest on. These rubbers will not mount on the radiator with the guards on. I am looking for a way to connect them or possibly use a smaller part to make the bumper/stop. The tank is very stable mounted this way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :thumb
  11. BajaRat

BajaRat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ned

I have an '08 530 that James SuperPlush Siddal did a number on the forks and shock. I still feel like my set up is still too stiff for the type of ROCKY desert riding I do. Before I start to try adjustments from how James has me set up I thought about getting your suspension eBook. How many pages is the book?

Thanks
    BR
  12. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    The book is 30 pages long- I think you'll find it has a lot of data packed in.

Without having any idea what your settings are, I suspect that opening rebound as well as compression a few clicks might help you get a more cush ride, especially in the fork excessive rebound control mimics excessive compression as the midvalve packs up.
  13. piercalif

piercalif Biciveloce

Oddometer:
    I got the same Acerbis 6.3 and thinking about installing some radiator gurads.

14. PAF

PAF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Already placed an order on bulletproof guard.
    The previous motorcycle was equipped in Flatland.
    And I wanted to try something different:)
    As already receive the delivery I will try to do a few photographs how looks like it together with 13l tank and fan.
  15. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Installed my Clockworks 3.4 gal tank tonight. Quality and fit are top notch! I really debated between this and the 3.4 gal Acerbis tank.....I finally decided to go with the clockworks based on it carrying it's fuel lower on the bike...and using the stock shrouds (personal preference on looks). Just took a few minutes to install. Feels just like the stock tank, just as narrow, fit's great with the Fan ect.

NOTE: This tank uses the old style KTM bolts that are made to go into plastic, the type that look like a wood screw. The 530's now come with a brass insert pressed into the tank where the shrouds bolt up and use a different bolt....sooooo your factory 530 hardware won't work on this tank. If you ask Clockworks when you place your order they will include a set of 10 proper bolts at no extra charge, Nice :thumb

Here's a couple pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
  16. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    From the pictures, it looks deceivingly small - any ergonomic differences? Is it just taller?

How much $$ ?
  17. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Yep just holds more fuel lower in the frame. No taller than the stock tank, ergo wise it feels just like a stock tank. The stock tank really should have been shaped like this one!

they are $225, you re-use your petcock from your old tank.

Here's the link: http://www.shop.clockworkktm.com/product.sc?productId=7&categoryId=2

Hodakaguy
  18. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    Nice!
  19. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice looking part!

First I've seen that vendor. I've given up on Clarke and IMS after loads of leaky tanks, the only brand I've found I trust is Acerbis. If the Clockworks stuff holds up, it looks like a great design to me. I'd like one of those for my 2 stroke.
  20. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    From what I've read on other forums people are having real good luck with the clockworks tanks...another reason I chose this one. I have the large Acerbis for desert rides...this one will be my everything else tank.

Hodakaguy