(coming back) From a flat tire at freeway speed.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by mr. matteeanne, Feb 19, 2013.

1. mr. matteeanne

mr. matteeanne Bender can pass him

Oddometer:
    No broken bones, minimal damage to side case, but what astonishes me is after the flat is repaired I spend the next week/1000 miles freeking out wondering, Is it flat again? Am I about to go down again? Should I slow down? What was that? Arrgghhhhh!
    Recovering from a wreck is truly scarier than the wreck itself.
  2. kbuckey

kbuckey Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back in 1983 I made a left turn on my GPz550 - something happened and the bike went down. Felt the front end going instant before it did. But the funny thing is I was on post (Ft. Campbell, KY) doing about 25 mph and had made that same turn literally dozens of times before at the same speed with no problems. I could not turn left without apprehension for at least a year after that!
  3. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I smashed up my first bike taking a corner a bit hot and hit gravel at the same time. That was about 7 months ago and at times I still get nerves coming into a corner. Taking an intermediate/advanced course in a month and hopefully that'll help with the confidence.
  4. mr. matteeanne

Oddometer:
    I believe at last check, 75% of bike accidents happened this way, amongst riders with less than 6 months on the clock. Study and know counter steering and you will be fine.
  5. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The mind is slow to heal. Had a similar occurence and for the next month everything I rode would just out of no where feel like the rear tire was flat.
  6. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny, all the times I crashed I never thought about it after.
    I was only down twice on the street at about age 18, but loads of times before and after in the dirt.
    Maybe if you grow up dirt riding you do not get impressed by crashes...

I can see about the flat, I also wonder if a tire is low/flat for a month after I get one...
  7. mr. matteeanne

Oddometer:
    I had (my one and only) Wreck in 2007, T-boned a car at 40mph, strait into the drivers door. Bought a bike the day I got out of hospital, the 90 mile ride home was one of the scariest things I have ever done. I felt every car was about to pull out in front of me. I was shaking like a leaf when I got home. Took months to lose that rampant fear. I still retain 20% of it for good measure.
  8. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Had three flats in one day two weeks ago. (same hole)

I stopped several dozen times to check the rear tire.
  9. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    I just give the ass end a little wiggle once in awhile

At 75 if it keeps on wiggling after I stop moving my ass I know the tire is pretty low on psi
  10. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jesus Wibby, wouldn't it be easier to check the tires before you get on?
  11. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Did you have a blowout or just loose very air quickly? I've had two rear and one front flat at speed and never came close to going down. Guess it depends on the bike some too.
  12. Avocet

Avocet Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have tire pressure monitors on my bike. I got a nail in the rear tire and it gave me enough warning that I was able to slow down (from around 65mph) and pull off the road before it went entirely flat. After that experience I refuse to ever buy another bike that doesn't have TPM.
  13. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm still trying to get my mojo back. I got a flat on the interstate doing 70 mph and went down before I could get stopped. After recovery I have been riding my sidecar rigs. A few weeks ago I got back on the two wheeler and was just uncomfortable as hell on my normal highway commute. Every wobble and wind gust made me think it was happening again. I'm still trying to ease into it and get that mojo back.
  14. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :fpalm

I'm sorry but that just does NOT JIVE with:
    Avocet<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_20769234", true); </SCRIPT>
    Studly Adventurer

:1drink
  15. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still can't get the "flat tire" out of my mind...

First time it happened it was the rear tire on my SV1000S. I was doing 125mph when the valve stem broke, instant flat. Managed to stop without wrecking, but it's something that really messes with your mind.

The second time was just a few weeks ago, again on the SV1000S, but this time something made a hole in the front tire. Managed to stop without problems and fixed it with my fix a flat kit.

Right now everything feels like a flat tire to me, crosswinds, uneven pavement, I'm freaking out about it all the time.
  16. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    people crash only cause they panic

I'm tryin to figger out "instant flat" from a broken valve stem, its still quite a restrictive hole that takes time for the air to flow thru

I had a rear caliper fall off once, centrifical force put it thru my wheel, 6" gash, 65mph± mid corner leaned pretty good, when I rolled to a stop a few hundred feet down the road, I could still hear air hissin out of the gash, at a buck25, seems like it would take a half mile to more for the air to escape thru such a small hole
  17. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've also had other accidents that never bothered me for a minute, probably because they were quick and over with before my mind realized what was transpiring or I knew what was happening immediately but couldn't avoid it. With the flat it started with an eerie feeling for a few moments until I realized what was happening,then till I maneuvered my way across the highway with other traffic whizzing by and the bike doing mini fishtails everytime I attempted to brake. I had travelled another quarter mile. I finally got to the berm just in time for the bead to break loose and send the ass end completely sideways and send me up an embankment cresending in a few barrel rolls as the centerstand dug in and pitched me off. No injuries with suprisingly little damage.But it seemed to take forever and i believe thats why it stuck in my mind for so long.
  18. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    You must not ride much
  19. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I've had 2 big accidents in my life. Once in a cage when I was 16 back in the 80's and once on a bike 11/30/2011.
    I guess I'm lucky because I have no memory of either of them at the critical part.

Last one, I got a new bike on 12/5/11 and was on my way. Couldn't wait to get back on a bike.

I've had a couple flats but never catastrophic. The last one I felt the bike acting strange and had 11psi and a nail... after a ride on the freeway. Maybe the stiff sidewalls saved the day.
  20. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    Had a flat on the rear of my RF 900, at 80+ rode it out!.:D
    Had flat on the rear of my ZX-14 at 70+ rode it out!:D
    Had a flat on the rear of my XR650 on gravel at 45+ Rode it out! :clap