Picked up a DT250

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by alfredman22, Jan 17, 2012.

1. alfredman22

alfredman22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just picked up this DT250, think its a 1978. Title, Original Keys, Original paperwork/service manual and even some Yamalube in some old pop-top oil cans (Older then me). Seems all original, 4,000 miles. New tires/brakes/Tires, just completly overhauled. Runs/Starts perfect only thing is the choke lever tab keeps popping off and got to pop it back to get the choke to stay and the backlight on the Tach is out. Looks better in person then pics. Little things fun to putz around on. Paid $300 mucho good deal or not?

[​IMG]
  2. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Awesome deal, looks 78ish - I had a '78 DT125 and my uncle a DT400.

Just watch for the monoshock kick - sharp bumps can kick the rear tire into the air.
  3. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:
    I had a 75 DT250 when I was in high school. Couldn't kill that bike and it wasn't for trying. Would go out and climb hills, ride cow trails, wash her up and head to town to pickup girls :) Yours looks like it's in great shape wouldn't have thought twice for $300.
  4. tommyg

tommyg Long timer

Oddometer:
    awesome deal, I wish I could find one around here. A cl guy has been trying to sell a 74 360 for 5k good luck with that. Had a 78 175 more power would have been nice. Overseas they still sell it.
  5. MightyChosen1

MightyChosen1 I wanna be sedated

Oddometer:
    Damn , You stole that for $300. I own the baby brother of that bike ,a 78 DT-175.

Looks be a nice untouched original bike. Not many that year still have the turn signals and mirrors intact.
  6. georgej

georgej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You sure did steal it. Where did you find it?There has been one on Buffalo Craigslist for a a while now,a '77,looks as clean as yours. The price is $1000 !!!
  7. alfredman22

Oddometer:
    Long story........but the neighbor and I both have bikes and ride. He helped out a random stranger a few years ago with car problems. They get to talking says he has a bike that he bought brand new, rode for a year or two, then put into dry storage and has been sitting ever since. Funny thing is I met my neighbor by being stranded on the side of the road with bike problems also. Guy gives him a crazy deal on it because he helped him, neighbor rips entire bike apart and makes it beautiful. Lends it out to anybody who wants to "learn how to ride," including my wife. Fast forward a few years and he texts me its for sale. Now I am continuing the tradition. Alot of peoples first experience on two wheels stemmed from this bike and I want to continue that!:D

Kinda serendipitous huh?
  8. alfredman22

Oddometer:
    What???? Are these collectible or something? Figured it was worth more then I payed but not that much. What do these things go for?
  9. mudgepondexpress

mudgepondexpress Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great buy! My wife rides a silver 1978 but I believe they made blue ones also. In good shape they seem to run between $800 and $1000 do you did quite well. Ours cost $180 because it didn't run (points, condenser and a carb clean). A simple, easy to ride bike that can get decent mileage as a communter.

Looks like it is missing the factory chain tensioner that is bolted to the lower frame, other than that...looks great!

Kenny
  10. alfredman22

Oddometer:
    Well I suppose that would explain why the chain is always too loose or too tight then.
  11. mudgepondexpress

mudgepondexpress Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. There is a spring loaded tensioner under the swing arm, mounted between the frame rails (like the swingarm). Without it, you will have to run the chain quite loose to keep it only snug when the rear end compresses.

Kenny
  12. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, serendipitous indeed, that's why I bought a DT.

That bike is a steal!
  13. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    That's a smokin deal for 300 bucks! :clap
  14. alfredman22

Oddometer:
    OK kinda new to the whole vintage thing. Wheres might a fellow be able to grab a chain tensioner from? EBay comes up short and I'm guessing the yama dealer doesn't stock this stuff anymore do they?
  15. tommyg

tommyg Long timer

Oddometer:
    its hard to say if yamaha still has some in stock, I found some 81yz parts still in stock, but this was 10 years ago, theres parts out there just got to search them out and I wouldnt be surprised if many years and models used the same part.
  16. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    $300 is a sweet deal if the motor is working.

I had a 1978 DT 125 growing up, it didn't have the same style paint so I'm wondering if that isn't a 1979 instead? My 125 had poor carburetion though, nasty flat spot around 4k rpm's I couldn't get rid of.

Mine looked like this one..

Attached Files:

17. MightyChosen1

MightyChosen1 I wanna be sedated

Oddometer:
    I think that is the 79 paint scheme on that bike. My buddy in school had a 78 DT-125 in green and the tank looked like my 78 175.

My DT suffers from the same flat spot at 4000 RPMs, I have had the carb off at least 3 times and cant fiqure it out

[​IMG]
  18. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    So mine could have been a 1979? :hmmmmm

As far as the flat spot, couldn't you richen or lean the pilot jet or possibly change the needle position? I'd go richer first, like larger pilot jet or drop the needle one position.

Any more information on the history of the DT? Like models and years?

Out in the farmland growing up a kid had a red 175 just like the one above. My buddy had a XL185 Honda and we used to tear up the farm. Good times. Too bad my buddy died a few years ago in a car accident.
  19. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
  20. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice steal hey parts speed and sport has tons of stuff :evil