The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dave,

If you want or need a XRL first gear (main shaft) I have them coming out my ears.
  2. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reposado-

What is the overall point of your hybrid engine?
    Are you using a 650 jug/piston?
    Are you going electric start?

Or..??

Just wondering what you will gain by this build...

Edit: Oops, I see now that you are getting parts from an XR600R, not an XR650L, so no electric start....
  3. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Steve, doesn't that negate the use of a kick start since the XRL main shaft isn't machined for the idler gear?
  4. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bruce,

Your thinking of the COUNTERSHAFT.
  5. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Steve:

Thanks for the mainshaft offer, I may have to take you up on that even though I hope that I never have a reason to go in so deep again. I already have the countershaft matching gear, but do you have them too in case someone else is foolish enough to tear into their trans?

Also on a side note to all, 88 on the gears and shafts interchange well to XRL/NX, but 87 and prior will need a few more gears to make it all mesh together. Shafts themselves however will swap around fine.

dave
  6. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a BUNCH of transmission parts. XR650l and XR600. All are from the early to mid 90's.
  7. Dread_lion

Dread_lion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, i'm screwed bigtime! Got the xl600r in my Rm, tried to change stator, wont work! The stator from the rm is a LOT wider that the normal one. So no way to make it fit :(. So i need to use the original stator, anybody got any bright ideas on how to get this bike running without altering the wiring too much? This sucks!
  8. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    There is a couple of things I want to do. One is fish long term on ebay and see if I can score a whole engine for reasonable money. Not cheap but reasonable. Second is I want a big bore torque motor. I am going for max stroke and max bore.
  9. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a wiring diagram for the RM?

You will need a harness of an XL, or have to make your own to adapt to an XL/XR CDI, not too hard to do there. You will need a CDI for an XL/XR, thought I saw one on eBay recently for about $35.00. Item # 111114257791.
    I don't know where to hook int the bike without a wiring diagram of the bike to study, but it shouldn't be hard to do that, wiring colors might even match knowing Honda consistency.
  10. Dread_lion

Oddometer:
  11. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The diagram is too small for me to read colors, and descriptions for the most part, but I cab see that has a lead from the stator to the CDI, unlike the XR650L diagram that I have. It also appears to have 12v leads to the CDI and pulse generator which makes sense. I need a bigger picture and confirmation that the wire colors coming out of the bike match the diagram. A running voltage value on the stator lead going to the CDI would also be helpful.

I thought the ignitor (CDI) was the same as the 650L, but this diagram seems to be a cross between XL and XRL. No problem making it work, I just want to confirm what I am working with first. If you are lucky and they used a 50v AC trigger to the CDI, wiring might be real simple with no fabricated harness needed. I just need to know what is coming out of that wire idling to determine what to do.

Dave
  12. Homerb

Homerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave, I can confirm the 600RM CDI is the same as the 650L CDI, cos Im running a 650L CDI in my 600RM, no probs, plug and play.

Also, I have the genuine Honda 600RM workshop manual, and parts fiche. If you need any info from it to help Dread_Lion out, don't hesitate to ask me for it. In fact I'll PM it to you, along with a diagram I found about how to run an XR600R CDI on an XR650L.

Homer
  13. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks homerb for the improved wiring diagram it is much better and answered a couple of questions. Even better yet is the diagram you found on TT detailing the conversion. It is pretty much exactly what I was envisioning. I will take the liberty of republishing it here for all to see. I would actually make a sub-harness that incorporated the wires to the XL CDI and not tag into the original harness at all since it is a temporary fix in this case.

Off the CDI too I would make a another sub-harness that runs to the ignition coil and pulse generator as depicted in the wiring diagram and hook them up. Unplug the originals and let them hang until needed again. Should be pretty easy to do, need one wire from the stator to the CDI and the others feed out of the CDI to the coil and pulse generator. For a kill switch all you would need is a standard kill button that connects the ignition wire to ground to stop ignition.

The original stator has three charge leads out and the XL/XR only two, just hook those two onto two of the three regulator wires, it will work fine just at reduced power which will be fine without an e-starter load.

Mount the parts, lay out the wires to mock it up and it will be surprisingly simple with no hacking of the original harness, in fact no connection to the original except the two charge wires which I would plug in at the original stator connector. I can envision the hardest part will be hooking up to the CDI itself. If a person could get a CDI pigtail off a scrap harness it would be a breeze, otherwise it is doable with individual connectors preferably insulated with heat shrink over the female part that slides onto the terminals to keep them from touching.

any more questions or something I didn't touch on feel free to ask, but it should be fairly easy once you lay it out and get going.

[​IMG]
  14. Homerb

Homerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad l could help. God knows lve had enough help from members here.
  15. Dread_lion

Oddometer:
    Hey guys! Wow, that was fast! I was hoping it would be this simple, but since i didnt know what was in those regulators, i wasnt shure.
    Anyway, i think i found a scource for a cdi not too far from here, and maybe even part of the wiring of an xl600r, so this might get done real soon.

I appreciate your help guys, this forum really is THE place to be!

About the old motor, its not running anymore i'm afraid, it needs lots of work! This summer i just want to get the bike on the road again, and i'm running out of time!
    So thanks a bunch for saving me, again ;). I'll keep you posted on the results!
  16. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that is pretty cool. Sucks that it impacted handling so bad though! Hey you know how to weld, I got an extra gas tank you can hack up and modify for a few extra gallons, then you can paint it to your scheme.
  18. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a motorcycle not a pack mule. :dhorse
  19. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been trying to convince Christian that he needs heavy duty (truck) springs with his upcoming suspension mods. :deal
  20. TahoeRider

TahoeRider Red Rider

Oddometer:
    I could use a set of pre-92 XR600 forks and shock if you guys still have any for sale. The suspension on my '83 XL could definitely use some improvement :D

edit: I forgot I had a couple pics to share. Mostly stock still with the exception of an 18" supermoto-ish front wheel/fender and some minor farkles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]