Bmw F800gs Q&A

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by RTW Motorcycling, Aug 24, 2008.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Imagine our collective relief. :rolleyes
  2. robhar54

robhar54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl :rofl

Rob in Seattle
  3. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    Everyone's entitled to their own subjective opinions, how boring if we all rode the same bike? But, either you have some crazy fast traffic, or your idea of "keeping up" is more like blasting past on 1-wheel. I found the power more than perky enough to zip me past all sorts of Brisbane city traffic (include the higher speed city bypass loop) without really wringing its neck.

I guess we all have our own riding style too. :dunno
  4. easyman05

easyman05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6500 rpm means around 160-180 km/h. Are talking about highways to keep up with traffic? Is it better idea to buy something more appropriate for that style of riding? Like K1200GT or FJR1300 of ST1300?
  5. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  6. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Very nice...
  7. nat_han

nat_han 2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone fitted the Aluminium Adventure Panniers(seen on the 12GSA) on their F800GS?
    Does BMW fit it as an option if the buyer wants them? An OEM rack for these panniers?

The closest rack i've come across that fits the ADV ALU panniers is by Holan but the rack's width is a little too wide! too much space between the rack and tailboard area. Any one has any info?

many thanks!
  8. FarmerRick

FarmerRick Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reply I got back from my request as to when TM's would be available for the F8GS...

"Hopefully before the end of riding season. I'm in the process of working on something now."

There you have it!

Rick
  9. nat_han

nat_han 2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer:
    Guy,

just want to ask if you peeps foresee any problems with the mounting of the rectifier on the right side of the F800GS just above the brake lever?

will it withstand harsh conditions like heavy rain, jet spray during wash...?
    thanks!
  10. Boston12GS

Boston12GS Banned

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't consider long-distance touring without my Aerostitch panniers. I keep my tools in them, using Pelican-type cases to keep the tools dry. Really makes a difference on the GS/GSA in keeping the front wheel down when you've got a lot of stuff packed on the rear. TIP: It sometimes works better if you "criss-cross" the connecting straps of the panniers, rather than leave them in a parallel configuration. Also, the "bungee cords" that come with the panniers are easily worn out, prepare to replace them with heavy duty bungees.
  11. RTW Motorcycling

RTW Motorcycling Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Great input on the panniers. I had seen them around before but hadn't come across that many comments such as yours so was a bit in the dark about it. Keep on spreading the word, you've obviously got a lot of experience with them so hopefully more people try them to see if they work for their style of riding. I'll try the mini Pelicans, thanks for the suggestions.
  12. Javanino

Javanino Se potete leggere qu

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. I'll check out the sources you mention. Sounds like the only downside to the trip is answering all the questions when you return :D
  13. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    After reading everyone's excellent posts on cases I've sent Al Jesse an email to put me on the list for his. RTW, your points are well taken and I'm in complete agreement on the need for strong panniers. Al's kept my leg safe in a low-side crash in the Yukon a couple of years ago and I'm still using them. I did suffer a broken rib but Jesse's right case and BMW crashbar took the blow sparing my leg. They did the job. BTW, Hepco Becker makes very good crash bars for the 1150, better than BMW's and probably my choice for my 800GS ... when I get it next week.
  14. mechnoman

mechnoman wrenchn

Oddometer:
    On tour in Cape Breton....rider is from Germany. She updated the seat and added a few things. :wings
  15. mechnoman

mechnoman wrenchn

Oddometer:
    The picture....sorry.

Attached Files:

16. cba191

cba191 wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer:
    in 6th gear, i'm at 85 at less than 5500 rpm. haven't gotten there yet (that i've noticed) but 6500 rpm should be close to 100 mph. so i'm not sure what traffic you're dealing with.
  17. Lucky:)

Lucky:) Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My question for you is, now that you have 35,000kms on it, what is your next bike going to be? :wink:
  18. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    CBA I'm still breaking my F658 in, so can't experiment much, but just as I approach 5000 rpm I get a slight vibration have you noticed that also? I'm hoping it's not just my bike....

Jim
  19. TheCowboy

TheCowboy back in the saddle again

Oddometer:
    Try HappyTrail.com out of Boise ID - They have a GREAT setup for the BMW F650/800GS

Cowboy2:ricky
  20. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer: