Serious Design Flaw: Super Enduro!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Yellow Pig, Sep 10, 2012.

1. LAKEMONSTER

LAKEMONSTER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was there from 1990 to 1998, used to Fall Timber all over the North Island, and camp jobs. Suuuure do miss
    Fresh Seafood !!! Have some Prawns with Garlic Butter for this weekend, will ya?
  2. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice that was a little before I got here so we've probably not crossed paths. I've had to toss some back on the last half dozen outings as I've been limiting out! The jumbos are showing up again now that the commies are shut down, good times. Cheers.
  3. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    Yellow Pig,
    You can't launch a 420+ lb bike like its a 250cc race bike :ddog

The 950 can take High speed launches as long as you land like Hilslamer recommends above :nod

Also wheelie over Rough Obstacles to where the plate never touches.

Watch the Factory Riders in the woods :deal

They ride liquid smooth so they don't abuse the the bike :clap

Eliminating the center mounts, puts tremendous stress on the oil tank :ddog

This is why I'm still running the OEM Stock Skid Plate :thumb
  4. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya, ya....I've been riding the bike like this for 4 years and it just now happened.

Now that it's fixed up again I'll keep riding it like I do and if I crush the rad after another 4 years, then thats the price to pay.

Back to my regularly scheduled riding:

[​IMG]

:ricky
  5. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    That looks fun!
  6. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    No bueno :eek1
  7. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    The SE is up and running again, thanks to Myler's Radiator Service:

[​IMG]

The radiator went from looking like this:

[​IMG]

to this:

[​IMG]

Cleaned, welded, pressure tested, reinforced and painted all for $120 w/ a three day turn around time.

[​IMG]
    dieselcruiserhead likes this.
  8. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you lowered the suspension on this bike? It looks short in the stroke...

9. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    No I have not. Resprung the front for 210 lbs and softened the rear, plus revalved, that's all.

Could be the angle of the bike/picture since the bike is leaning left on its side stand, plus the ADV tank on the rear.
  10. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whoo-Hoo!! My new plate arrived yesterday!! What a beauty!! I even received a "special" gift in the box, can't tell you what it is, but let's just say it could be a ride saver if you where to break a shifter or a break lever...

A huge Thank you to Mike!
  11. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:

Looks like fun. Where is that? It takes some serious fortitude to get any steed over that terrain.

You have now confirmed to us that you're in the .001% of anyone who is riding an SE like that, or who would take an SE over that "road," though. And I'll say it one more time, you are in the only-slightly-larger percentage of riders that is jumping their SE and flat-landing it with apparently reckless abandon, much less landing it where it can't be landed.

Calling any failures you might have as a result of the chances you take "design flaws" on KTM's behalf is totally unjustified, as well as asserting that the Black Dog skid plate is not in improvement over the stock skid plate.
  12. L21

L21 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like upper Reno divide in gunnison colorado ?
  13. LAKEMONSTER

LAKEMONSTER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is a thanks to the guys who PM'ed me, or sent e request for one of my Skid Plates. I got the first run out last week, and have been getting some great feedback, so thanks a bunch. I am also Sold out of the first run, but will produce these a half dozen at a time, as i get fed more requests.

Cheers, Mike.
  14. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    Do you have a vendors thread, or spot with more information and pictures yet?
  15. Splisken

Splisken I'm not dead yet...

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to receiving mine! It should be here this week so I'll post pics of the plate before and after its been installed. I appreciate your fast replies and professionalism Mike.
  16. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:

Regardless, it's still a less than optimal design in my opinion. (The oil tank/radiator, not the skid plate)
  17. LAKEMONSTER

LAKEMONSTER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, i have not entered a Vendors thread, as i am busy enough, which is a good thing. I am going to have a Website in the not-to-distant future, but i am a one guy enterprise, and the amount could quickly overwhelm me. I am building a network of alternate Vendors which can help me disperse the load, if need be.

I do not have a Water Jet Table, or CNC equipment, so i am putting those tools into place. A little further explanation of who i am is warranted here. I had a significant injury in a previous occupation, which has left me with a limited time per day i can be active, and working on my feet.

I truly appreciate the business, and a little bit of patience is needed time to time, in order to allow me to catch up. However, once my "alternative work force" is in place, you will be seeing some innovative ideas from me.

Please contact me through info@mvmotoventure.ca i would be happy to shoot an extra Photo, or two, and offer any
    additional information that i can.

Thanks you guys, for your support!!!

Remember, There are NO PROBLEMS, only SOLUTIONS...
  18. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    LAKEMONSTER: I sent you an e-mail yesterday. Thanks for quick response!

Sent from my Pocket Parrot using Tapatalk.
  19. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    As with many things it's a compromise to save space and maximize performance. The bigger issue to me is hanging a heavy skid plate on the radiator mount with no mount to the subframe. My advspec plate has not moved since I put it on and that goes for the radiator mount. And my SE sees lots of big air, g outs, and all out offroad abuse.
  20. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    Define optimal, then. Clearly, you do not understand the "fuse" in the system - any system, structural or electrical or ? - and how it should yield. Would you rather the stock skidplate cracks(it's diecast, and fails sacrificially long before the centercases do) or worse yet, the centercases cost you half the cost of the bike to replace...not counting the stranding it cost you?

Take some responsibility for your riding and admit you made a mistake landing where you did, how you did, when you did...and don't blame KTM and certainly not Black Dog for any sort of design flaws. Would you try to sue Fiskars if you fell on a pair of their scissors and skewered yourself?

In fact, you should detail any other failures you have had, and come up with a solution for them, too. Funny how "the rest of us" can ride the same bike with lesser protection and no problems because we understand that limitations are not in engineering so much as they are in cognisance of limitations...