New BMW G650X (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mr moto, Oct 9, 2006.

1. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Obviously a man who has no comprehension of the history of the Range Rover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Incidentally, there are several of us on this board that own GS's and own Rover trucks. I'm in the middle of cutting my classic Rangie up to make a bobtailed vehicle that I can load on a trailer behind my motorhome and take with me when I want to explore places in Mexico that aren't suitable for either my big GS's or the Land Rover Discovery.

Guess that makes us "smooth" compared to you, right Slick? :lol3 :eek1
  2. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Are you intentionally distorting what I say?

ll repeat for you: I said it's image. Customers for Range Rovers in the US rarely use them off road. I never said it couldn't do it or anything about police. WTF is wrong with you?
  3. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    All,

as some may know I like to do roadbook trips every now and then. I still have big plans to turn the Xchallenge into a rally bike (fairing et all), but for october I'm going to do it minimalistic. Right there on the center of the bars. Some say that is not the ideal location, you want to have it further forward. True, and I want that in the future, but than on a seperate subframe bolted onto the bikes frame. I don't like the feel of a roadbooks weight that's too far from the center of the headstock. So I'm nog going to make a bracket like I had on the DR. On the other hand, I've been riding thousands of miles with a GPS in that exact same location, I never found that to be a problem.

Ok, I still had a Touratech roadbook, IMO and remote buttons laying around here for some time. So, tinkertime. :wink:
    First I needed to fix the speedo magnet and sensor. On the Xchallenge this is real easy for there is a threaded hole on the inside of the left leg. I tnink the sensor might need some protection, but this will do in Spain. No bushes to find your way through, only rocks and sand.

[​IMG]

Route the wire upstairs and straight into the space behind the headlight. Had to reroute the brake line as well, to make room (note my one piece leathers in the backgroud, they have shrunk around my waist 2 sizes) .

[​IMG]

I hooked up the power to the parking light (with a fuse of course). All wires neatly tucked away behind the dash.

[​IMG]

I mounted the roadbook and IMO with a bracket that bolts onto the bar mounts (from Touratech again):

[​IMG]

And off we go!

[​IMG]

As you can see, no GPS this time. Don't get lost! :lol3
  4. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Maybe you need to rephrase what you said Slick, because it sure sounded like you were dissing a whole lot of us on this board who appreciate Land Rovers, GS's, and other bikes and vehicles capable of doing things that you don't seem to be able to accomplish.

Son, you need to cut the lace from your panties and grow up. Just because you don't think in terms of the proper applications and you cannot handle either a large GS or a Land Rover doesn't mean that others of us here can't do it :wink:
  5. Oni

Oni Ronin

Oddometer:
  6. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

:lol3 Dude, I've seen your posts on other threads. A child could do better, and I and everyone else regularly wipes the floor with your sorry poser ass.

Now pick up your toys. You cannot keep up with the big dogs around here. It's time for you to move on :deal
  7. slide

Oddometer:
    Slimedaddy,

Time to pack it in. Your time is long past.
  8. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Man, you need to go back to that thread that you started about prostitutes. That was sooooooooooo fucking bizarre.

You know. The one at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249808

Most of the folks around here are friends and hang together.

But you ... well ... you've simply got something fucked up in your mind that isn't right. You are super defensive - like a small child that has been abused. And that's sad and scary, all at the same time. :cry

And the things that you revealed in that thread. All that I can say, to put it nicely, is that you have some serious issues with women. Or prostitutes. Or something.

Obviously you have also have some serious issues with other riders, people that dsiagree with you, Land Rovers, and your fellow ADVRiders. You need to get over it.
  9. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Hey douchebags.... Go wave your dicks in Jomomma.

Since Slide took offence to my comment, only Pirate John is a Douchebag, or as he states later in this post "Mr Douchebag". Slide is in no way shape or form a douchebag and it pains me greatly to even think it let alone type it. I am a terrible, terrible man for thinking this thread was about anything but the BMW G650X.
  10. Guaglione

Guaglione Untethered

Oddometer:
    Amen, brother Crankshaft...

now, can we get back to talking about motorcycles...
  11. ride no evo

ride no evo Suck it Trebek

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing it could handle that....it bolts on to where the passenger grabs are which should be strong as heck.........but the forces off roading would put on it would be huge.......only one way to find out!!!!
  12. shardzero

shardzero I have a bike.....

Oddometer:
    I agree. I suspect the rear section is able to support the weight of your average consumer. So North American models are weighted to 100kg and all other models 75kg.:rofl

Sorry bit underhanded, but I couldn't resist. There are a lot of fat people downunder too.
  13. spicychili

spicychili Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if you figure that the XCountry (same frame as GX) you can ride 2up I doubt having 20 lbs of combined fuel and tools/gear is going to hurt anything, even offroad.

Also you can drop 8 to 12 lbs by emptying your spare fuel can into the main tank 90 miles into your journey.
  14. Ridge

Ridge Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    so, is the average rider going to detect a noticeable difference in the offroad capabilities of the Challenge Vs. the Country?

For Dual sport, I would say the challenge is better suited with a good seat, but offers minimal-to-no protection from wind at highway speeds. I read a few threads of riders converting the X-country seat to the Challenge, btu it never seemed to go really smooth. Maybe the best idea is aftermarket Renazco or Corbin. Sorry, just rambling random thoughts from the grey matter this morning. Man that coffee was potent!:eek1
  15. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Hey dude ... that's MR. Douchebag to you!

'sides ... you stole my avatar :lol3

Agreed. If he had returned I was going to tell him to have the last word so as to not disrupt the thread. After all, I too came here to learn about the G650X.

Carry on. :wink:
  16. slide

Oddometer:
    I got the Country as I figure I'll ride 80% road and 20% off road with my idea of off road not being the '5 miles of hell' or serious m-x'ing.

I also appreciate the super moto handling of the Country where the Challenge's 21" front wheel and tire selection at that size restricts it. Also the seat on the country is fine. Not as good as a Renazco but not bad either.

Overall the Country doesn't restrict me from any riding I plan on doing with it but the Challenge would have. I can't see any use for the Moto, though.
  17. ride no evo

ride no evo Suck it Trebek

Oddometer:
    all right biotches its time for me to go run to the dealer and pick up my new scoot!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap
  18. x650

x650 Adventurer

Oddometer:

the wind deflector on the front of the challenge does an excellent job.

I find the seat ok too.
  19. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    True,

BMW did a nice job with the shield/beak assembly. They are fitted higher on the forks than you would expect. It offers quite some wind protection. More that my DR did.
  20. Oni

Oni Ronin

Oddometer:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=24140&item=20-4782&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

Bought this tail bag at a bicycle shop last night for $34. I went in to look at the one they had on sale for $20, but it was much thinner nylon. This one is thicker and looks well made. It fits perfectly on the small TT rack. To get an idea of size, I was able to fit a 1 liter MSR fuel bottle and a 1.5 liter bottle of water lengthwise in it side by side with plenty of room for more stuff on top, including another layer of bottles easily.

It has a small pocket in the lid perfect for maps, 3 small pockets...2 on each side and one on the back, and a bungee cord web on top. It is slightly expandable by a zipper which accordians a section for more room.

It has 3 reflective patches...one on each side and one on the back and reflective piping.

It is semi insulated (soft foam stuffed sides) and has 2 velcro dividers that can be adjusted on the inside.

Nice little inexpensive pack for day trips!