Anyone have a wheel bearing removal tool?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Moto Mikey, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Moto Mikey

Moto Mikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to replace the wheel bearings on my F800GS and they are being very stubborn. After numerous failed attempts at 'punching' them out, I've semi-given up. Anyone have a wheel bearing removal tool I can borrow? :ear
  2. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    :evil
  3. Moto Mikey

Oddometer:
    ^^^ :flug
  4. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Tip:

Don't take your wheel to a "dealer" for bearing work, EVER.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Duh, Cir clip, the Cir Clip! :puke1
  5. Moto Mikey

Oddometer:
    Thanks for hooking it up, Beezer :beer
  6. Brendon@TMS

Brendon@TMS The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience at YOUR dealer, but please refrain from passing judgement onto dealers in a different state. Trails End BMW in Fairbanks and us, The Motorcycle Shop in Anchorage, are held to the high standards of BMW service, along with the other brands we carry.

After doing business in the motorcycle industry for over 40 years, we stand behind our work 110%. I would hope your dealer would do the same after having this problem you posted.

As far as a bearing removal tool, are you in town? Maybe we can help you out. Give me a call/pm/email and I'll see what I can do.
  7. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    The dealer in MY STATE, tried to cover it up, pass it off, and then when I spotted the damage, they tried to say "oh, that part is really not all the nessesary"

Wrong. I stayed on em till I got a new hub.

That's great that apparently that does not happen in Alaska, but it happened at a BMW dealer in MINNESOTA.

I'll say what I choose to say about dealers, thank you, unless you have flashing red lights on your avatar, bite me.
  8. Andrewmc

Andrewmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. He was polite and asked you not to pass judgment in a forum for a state that you don't live in. I think this is the most obnoxious comment I've ever seen on ADVrider. Stay in Minnesota, please.
  9. Brendon@TMS

Brendon@TMS The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer:
    No way Andrew, I'd welcome him with open arms, perhaps we can change his tune!

Sir, if you need new wheel bearings, just give me a chance. I'll even leave the coffee pot on for ya.
  10. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll second the Fairbanks dealer being top drawer, they even honored the warranty on some gloves bought down in Montana. That doesn't happen very much.
    Tell ya what; I was tempted to by a brand new XR1200 then and there.:D
  11. Wyodrill

Wyodrill Master Chief 1200

Oddometer:
    Which ones are you trying to 'punch out'? Note the inside clip ring in the photos of the mechanic that tried really hard at pressing them out. There are seals in front of the clips as well.

I just pulled mine and they were fairly easy to knock out from the other side. Remember if they don't come out easily, your doing it wrong.