Compact/Midsize trucks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by levain, Oct 27, 2012.

1. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks! But...uhh...please don't steal mine. I'm sure there's a dealer who would love to sell you one just like it.:lol3
  2. xshanex

xshanex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :eek1

I looked at used tacomas with the package I wanted and it was around $28k-ish for a 35-40k mile one. I ended up buying the newer generation with 0 miles, extended warranty, and my choice of color for hundreds of dollars more

I was told by the dealers the same thing and wasn't going to buy one and then a coworker who had run into the same issue with 4runners told me about the costco buying thing and I did that. It made a huge difference. If I had bought a stripped down version it would have made less of a difference since there is so much mark-up in the packages/options. I ended up getting an off-road 4wd crew-cab model with I think literally every single extra option other than leather. It had all the stupid toyota extras like door sill guards and other stuff like that. Savings was $5k-ish over what the exact dealer had negotiated down to and they delivered it from 400 miles away. It was also better priced than the nissan by a couple grand and about even with the dakota that would be. Residual value was amazing after the initial savings. From 6 months of ownership point I could have sold it at a profit even with nothing down and a long loan term. 160k more miles and I can get a new one when the time comes.....it's a part-time driver so it may be a very long time away

mine was made in california so manufacturing was a non-issue

the rear springs are lacking once I put a cap on. Rides nice and smooth but sags with a load more than I wanted but with a add-a-leaf as part of a lift its good to go without beating the driver to death

gas mpg or not I don't enjoy driving around a full-size truck day to day. Spent some time dirving around my buddies full size crew-cab and was over it.
  3. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    I saw plenty of first gen Tacos for sale at reasonable prices when we rode down the west coast this past spring. No rust over there and no shortage at all. In many places my wife and I agreed that there were more of them than any other truck- old or new.
  4. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trouble with that logic is if you bring that clean truck back to the rust belt, it will rust out just like all the ones that are from around there. Just it will be older and toyota won't be putting new frames in them as they are too old.
  5. surly357

surly357 Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer:
    Lots of toyota loyalists here, but imho it's tough to beat the frontier sv.

v6, extended cab, quality build, good mileage,i prefer the driving position, buy new for used, or new regular cab tacoma price (around here).

like toyotas, have owned toyotas, have a great independent toy mechanic, just didn't see the value. small differences in truck interior plastic trim isn't a compelling reason for me to spend thousands more...

it's not 'settling' just because the nissan is cheaper, it's a genuinely nice little truck.
  6. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:
    Don't think I would do too well in the Big House after getting caught for commiting a GTA..Your truck is safe from me at least..lol
  7. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    I understand what you're saying BUT the clock on the rust will start once the rust free truck arrives here. It generally took 15 years for them to rot. I'd be happy to get 10 years out of a 2000 Taco. It would be almost 25 years old by the time it started to disintegrate.
  8. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    It'd also make a bit of a difference if how it's maintained, right? Not that I've ever seen a garage queen taco before. :lol3
  9. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:

there isnt a single jeep out of 15-18 on the local dealer lot with an msrp under $30k.
  10. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    I heard rumours of a Canyon/Colorado diesel offering soon.
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    post a link or it didn't happen. completelyh in. favor of any\all deisels coming
  12. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Well it didn't happen. Yet. And I have no link my work partner told me. Take it for what it's worth which is why I added the word "rumor" btw
  13. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    Plus if you already know it's prone to rusting you can treat it ahead of time to prevent the rust. Fog the inside of it with corrosion inhibitor and then coat the exterior in Por 15.
  14. soldierguy

Oddometer:
    At this point, it's still rumors. The new Colorado is offered outside the US with nothing but Diesels. So GM has the engines, transmissions, etc. US emissions would be a different package than what's offered overseas, but that's do-able from a technical perspective.

It comes down to money though...does it make sense for GM to spend the money to put a Diesel in the Colorado, especially when putting a Diesel in it would bump the price up uncomfortably close to their Silverados? Nobody outside GM knows for sure yet, or at least there's been no confirmation to the media.
  15. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am pretty sure that the new Colorado sold in Mexico only comes with a gas engine.
  16. soldierguy

Oddometer:
    Could be. The article I was reading was talking about the Asian market, Thailand in particular. It said that the Colorado was available only with Diesels worldwide. Last time I believe the media!:lol3
  17. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im changing my vote back to a Toyota. It took all of 4 days for my wonderful Nissan to fuck up. :cry
  18. rotten

rotten LOST AGAIN

Oddometer:
    http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/colorado/2013/2013-chevrolet-colorado-first-drive.html
    "In terms of engines, the Asian-market Colorado isn't likely to share much with the U.S.-bound version. There are only two options available outside the U.S., both of them four-cylinder Duramax diesels." ....

"The base engine displaces 2.5 liters and generates 150 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Then there's an optional 2.8-liter version of the same engine rated at 180 hp and 346 lb-ft of torque. In addition to the extra power, the 2.8-liter engine also gets a new six-speed automatic transmission. A five-speed manual is the only other transmission offered, in this market at least....... "

"There's no talk of using them in the U.S. trucks yet, so don't get your hopes up."...

you would like by now we (US) would be used to the idea we don't get a lot of cars/ motorcycles that are offered all over the world, that isn't going to change unless there is a large enough demand to change legislation :lol3
    Until then we can keep complaining and dreaming!
  19. blackfriar

blackfriar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In an earlier post I reported 21 mpg on my 2010 Tacoma V6 4X4 and I did get that on a mostly highway fishing trip last May. I thought I'd better check it again to make sure I wasn't overstating my mpg and apparently I was. I checked my last tankful doing my normal weekly driving, which is probably 60% highway, and I got 19 mpg.
  20. soldierguy

Oddometer:
    What happened?