Wee Strom Thread Index

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Night_Wolf, Jan 21, 2009.

1. BigMan73

BigMan73 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I started a V-Strom wiki a few weeks ago.
    http://stromtrooper.wikispaces.com/

Threads are sub optimal for sharing this type of information, since the info keeps getting updated and also because threads are not organized properly by definition for index look up (e.g. see how the comments break the content).
    Wiki is ideal for that.

Maybe we can join forces and add content together, as a group?
  2. cakmakli

cakmakli Made It - Army Retired

Oddometer:
  3. twbacon

twbacon n00b

Oddometer:
    This helps, thanks guys
  4. florabama rider

florabama rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own a Dl-1000 and its a good bike, but it has got to be the ugliest bike I have ever owned. I have not washed the lop eared bitch in 2 years, cause you cant wash off ugly. :D
  5. johnson357

johnson357 Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer:
    Found another guy that will rebuild Vstrom rear shocks mine is a Wee. This is a pic after getting it back. Will install and give a ride report as soon as the snow is off the streets. This is a link if you just have to get in rebuilt before the ride report. http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/ seems like a nice guy quick turn around. I should have taken a before photo too, it was blown beyond belief and could turn adjuster screw at the bottom with my finger nail. Guys at the local shop have had good luck with him rebuilding other non-rebuildable street bike shocks.
    [​IMG]
  6. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link :deal First post has been updated :clap
  7. DSlag

DSlag n00b

Oddometer:
    All,
    I had Jamie rebuid a CBR600 shock for me to fit an 83 Honda Sabre. The shock was so stiff that the bike became unridable. I have a couple of bad discs and I would hurt after a 30 minute ride to work on good slab. Now I do not know whether it was because the internal valving on the CBR 600 shock is designed to move in a horizontal plane vs the vertical movement of bikes like the Sabre or Stroms but...
    I tried to reset the damping to no avail.
    Because the spring is so stiff, the sag can no longer be adjusted.
    All I am suggesting is, just make sure he is aware or your riding style and your expectations. From what I could see, he is used to rebuilding for the race world and they like them stiff.
    I am not suggesting that he did anything untoward. If anything, I should have follow up with him to see if he could have done something to make the ride better. In the end, I sold the bike and bought the Wee.
    No looking back now...
  8. amotostuff

amotostuff Adventure MotoStuff

Oddometer:
    Here's a new one to add to the list. Our new Engine Protector for the 2012+ DL650 With Suzuki/Sw-Motech Engine Guards is now shiping. They are available in Black or unfinished aluminum. http://www.amotostuff.com/product/AMSVSEP12.html

Our original version works with the Givi crash bars for all years.

[​IMG]<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
  9. scharfg

scharfg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi folks.

This is what happened when I tried starting my '09 Wee after being stored for 7 months in an attached garage with a full tank of gas with fuel preserve (bike has 19K miles on it).

Some background:

For some reason every time I go to start the Wee after storage, I have to crank it over a number of times before it fires up. I have to keep the throttle open to get it to catch and fire and then hold the throttle open so it won't die. Once its warm it starts and idles fine. Before it fires up for the first time it usually makes some loud knocking noises like a diesel (yes scary :yikes:)

3 years ago my wiring harness cooked, no idea why, had it replaced. Then later that same year my stator failed and had to be replace. But when I started the bike for spring 2012 it started right up so I thought I had solved the hard to start in spring problem (my '08 Bandit starts like a dream every spring and its parked beside the Wee).

Well I just tried starting the bike and had the same problems with it not catching right away. So I turned it off and tried again this time I held the throttle open a bit. It tried to fire but did not catch. I turned the engine off and then on again, pulled in the clutch waited for the fuel pump and FI noises to stop and hit the starter button with the throttle open an bit. It turned over and then caught but had those same knock knock noises at the start. I had to leave the throttle open a bit so it would not stall (like in previous years). I let the bike warm up and then it started well after that.

After I get through the tough spring starting process the bike starts fine for the rest of the riding season.

So here is my question (finally!):

My observation/worry is, (ie: what is different this time) when I turn the key on you hear the usual fuel pump priming up and the FI noises which I wait to stop before I hit the starter button (like I always do). This time when I turned the throttle through it's open and closed range (before I hit the starter button) I heard a strange sort of electronic sounding beeping noise at two different spots in the throttle range (happens every time I turn the throttle from closed to full open). The noise happen at about the same two spots in the throttle range every time. The noise sort of sound like one of the electronic noises that are made during the start up phase (ie: like after I turn the key on and pull in the clutch but before I hit the starter button).

I've never heard this before so it worries me given the bike's history etc.

Any idea what those sore of electronic contact beeping noises are in the throttle range before I start the bike...?

Should I be worried? I'm planning on taking the bike on a 2 thousand mile ride next week and then up to the Dempster in June for 2 weeks.

Thanks!
  10. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Can you read? This is an INDEX :deal You should delete your post and make it in the main BEASTS section where it can be better answered WITHOUT cluttering this thread :eek1

11. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    I can't seem to find a thread on taking my 04' 650 rear Shock apart to replace the Spring...any help would be appreciated... :wave
  12. mjc506

mjc506 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    'tisn't too difficult.

I assume you have the shock off the bike already? You'll need a way to compress the spring, and you'll also need a tiny allen key (sorry, don't know what size exactly), and a small screwdriver or pick of some sort.

Compress the spring enough so that it's not tight against the hydraulic preload unit. There's a tiny grubscrew to undo (although I don't think its the end of the world if its stuck), and then you can drop the unit down a touch to expose a snapring, which you can then unclip. Once that's off, it all just falls apart.
  13. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    Thanks, mate. :D
  14. RedBean25

RedBean25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a thread with pictures stromtroopers.com