High Tech Fuse Block

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by craftycoder, Sep 19, 2012.

1. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way cool! :clap

Not sure if you've given it much thought, but I know a bunch of guys that would probably find tons of uses for something like that on their boats as well!
  2. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    Yep, boats, cars, jeeps, and RVs are all on the list.

3. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    The PWM thing is neat, but most of the things I want PWM for are things I'd adjust frequently- heated grips, jacket liner- and I don't see whipping my phone out to do that on the fly. The other thing I use a PWM controller is LED driving lights; the current device has a bypass to go to full power, wired to the high beams.

So, with android support problematic, and given it's likely I'd need to buy a device to be a 'head unit' anyway, what's the minimum level of iDevice required?

A neat version two gizmo might consider designing an optional head unit that talks the same protocol that could be hard mounted to the bike. A joystick, maybe a button or two, and a small LCD display with a BT module.

Or, open source the protocol and I could hack one together with Arduino bits myself. :D

Oh, and I'd be up for at least two units. (The trials of owning multiple bikes....)
  4. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    The device supports hardware signal inputs (buttons) that control basic functions. You won't need Bluetooth to control it, it really just for programming and telemetry. Google just last week decided to hire someone to solve the bluetooth 4 issue with Android. Hopefully it will be a quick update and we can get an Android app online fast.
  5. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    This video demonstrates how you can use an external button to control the PDU. Bluetooth is required to program what the button does but it is not needed for normal use.
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B77gj-KrIUE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I built up a complete 8 channel PDU this weekend (and shot a video of the process for those interested). No more tangles of wire. I will test it on the bike this weekend. The box the PDU is stuffed in is a bit taller than the bicycle box but otherwise the same dimension.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    One more with the input and output wires attached. The wire colors are a little screwy. I have better colors in the mail though.

[​IMG]
  8. yosso

yosso We gotta go now. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the video on home brewed SM.

Do you sell adapter kits so we can brew our own B&D reflow even.:D

M.
  9. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I don't sell them, but others do. I rolled my own so that it fit perfectly into my oven. I wanted the buttons, knobs, and LCD to line up.
  10. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    I think it would be $25 cheaper if you omitted the card.

Just helping.
  11. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I got the last batch of parts I needed this week to test out my new constant current design. I put it all together this morning. I used the same board as last time but cut some traces, replaced some caps and a chip, and added a bodge wire. It works PERFECTLY! No more tangle of wires. Just goodness!!!! I am so stoked. No excuses now. Time to figure out how to make them by the hundred. It isn't as easy as it sounds, so stand by. FYI, I've been asked to not speak about the cost of this gizmo or discuss money at all. When the time comes I will be creating a vendor thread to do support and that sort of thing. This thread is just about sharing the development and ideas. Thanks for all your help so far, we've really got something here!
    [​IMG]
  12. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vgPp9fId0wQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. Cerberus83

Cerberus83 The Wingman

Oddometer:
    WOW! I just tuned in, but this fuse block is awesome!! Amazing job!! I'm in the market for one and will be waiting until you're able to get a production unit out :)
  14. tdcarter

tdcarter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happy to hear things are coming along.

I'll be in line to buy one soon as you get a release ready. I'll be just happy as a pig in slop when you get the Droid interface going too. But in the meantime I can live with buttons since I will want those for backup anyway.
  15. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Someone here thought a constant current source would be a really good idea. So, whoever you were (sorry I don't remember), here you go.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UIHYA1GhA-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  16. tdcarter

tdcarter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That would be me.. now if only I could see the video...
  17. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks like your office's content filter. Get back to work! :1drink
  18. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    A nicer implementation of the external button signalling.
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c8CML_G7d1k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  19. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Hey dude, with these last revs, besides finding a manufacturer, do you have round #'s for public release?
  20. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    The plan is to do a Kickstarter after we do some more prep work (videos, website, and logo that sort of thing). The goal is to get some early adopters to help us build a minimum of 200 of these things so we can figure out how they work in the real world. I don't have any other plans for this though. If you guys report back that you really like them, then I I'll try to figure out how to build more of them and sell them but that really isn't my focus. Right now I just want to build up the first batch for you guys who have shown interest and see if you still like it. I would expect a Kickstarter in the next couple months.

I've been specifically asked to not mention money so I have no other numbers for you.

Logo idea. Thoughts?
    Motobrain LLC
    [​IMG]