990 Not gone just yet.......

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Pete640, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have heard from a very reliable source that the 990 Adv platform bike isnt dead and buried just yet. Skunkworks info is that it (a seriously updated version) will make an appearance at the milan bike show next year (2014).
    Seems KTM wanted to update it but not clash with the 1190 release.

Rumor or just the cold hard facts.....:ear Which do you prefer to believe??
  2. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rumor IMO. Just as the smaller displacement ADV bike..
  3. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two bikes closely related to the same segment?

More inclined to lower displacement engine to meet the 800 range. there's a big gap between the 690 and the 1190

Or maybe they revamp the 990 engine and make it better fuel efficient!
  4. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMHO, KTM needs something between the 690R and the 1190. I'm not interested in the 1190. Anything over 999cc bumps up against my life insurance policy limitations. :lol3 But a 750-800cc that is light . . . that has Dakar styling . . . . Hmmmmmm.
  5. guyfawkes

guyfawkes Move along, nothing to see here

Oddometer:
    if they wanna keep that engine they will have to. consumption of the 990 always was a bit of a joke compared to similar bikes ...
  6. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    The more I think of it ..... a v twin 550 2 stroke Adventure bike would be awesome. Aprilia had a gorgeous 550 but a virtuall race motor. Now days 2 strokes can be quite torquey. Think less weight, no valves etc......... Changing rings no big deal.
    I recon it would be a HOOT !
  7. spencergt66

spencergt66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

+1 I for one would like to see the smaller twin but I don think that would be happening anytime soon People want it and hope for it so much they will believe anything they hear that sounds good:cry
  8. ADVill

ADVill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sleeve the 990 down to an 800? Of course you have the weight factor but easily enough achieved?
  9. spencergt66

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm:huh Sleve it down throw it in a 690 Chassis with an ADV fearing done...:D
  10. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    They should do what triumph did and take the smaller motor and bring it up.....re xc800 using 675 block, ktm will have to come up with something of course but doable

99% of the market want flash and gadgets, we harder adver types are the minority hence they are catering for the main market

You already see threads on how to lose weight on an 1190, simple, dont buy a big bike
  11. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM builds what the market wants. High-end technology and big HP numbers, that's what is selling these days.
  12. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whats the point of sleeving it down to 800?

Weight is still there. Developing a newer engine is very expensive, take a bulletproof one (well, fix the waterpump only one seal issue), remap it, change the cam profile to be smoother and fuel efficient, maybe adapt a multi management mode to be possible to select different types of performance.

Framewise there are already good options, maybe reduce some weight.

Dunno about tax issues, but 800cc locally is taxed exactly as 999cc's.
  13. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lighten the castings and destroke it to 755,, so it can spin about 14K. :pimp

Rifle drill the cams,, lighten up the valve and cam drive assemlies..
    rework the waterpump to similar to the 1190.

Make it a hybrid of the 690 ADV style plastics and the SE.
    Make the Windscreen and upper half of the front
    Aero removable with a couple pins. So it can switch from ADV to SE style.

Put a real fully welded skid plate on out of the box.

Offer a Christini up-grade..

:freaky

Dave
  14. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or they could just simply sell the 450RR or the 690RR for $5000 :D
  15. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    They could release a limited edition LC8 Adventure SE called the 790 Adventure SE ( so what it's a 990). Make it the best of the SE with a functioning Rally Fairing. They could lighten it up to get it below 400lbs., say 390 lbs. Give it a skidplate, larger split tanks with quick release hardware... on everything. Quick release on the plastic, axels, panels. And add the PDS rear adjustable suspension. Lighter/ stronger swingarm. Lighten up some internals.. Stealth out the known issues.

Strengthen subframe...

And make a DECENT seat.

Let KTM use this opportunity to develop a nice lighter, stronger chassis for a possible future sub 800cc bike.

But for now, make this pseudo "790" Adventure Super Rally the ultimate "SHIT" in a twin adventure bike. And nickname it the "Africa Twin Killer".
  16. Dune

Dune Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Would be ideal - but I don't see it happening. All the push seems to be towards bigger larger 'Touring' bikes.... i.e. the Super Tenere, the bigger BMW's... FJR type bikes... they get all the "good" reviews right... sad really. Hence the 1190 right?

I personally think KTM would have the market if they did something as DS said above - but not holding my breath.
  17. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fixed
  18. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Face it folks- wrt a twin, the SE is about the best/closest thing to the bike several (and it is just several) of you are clamoring for. And we all know how successful (from a sales pov) the SE was.

So if you're serious, stop yer whining, get an SE, and modify to your heart's content. You'll probably wind up spending less than what KTM would charge if they built what you say you want.

Granted, it's more work than telling KTM what they should build :lol3, but you'll have the advantage of winding up with a real bike instead of a bunch of paper specifications.
  19. spencergt66

Oddometer:
    Sitting at the Bar in CO at the KTM rally I was talking to a few of the factory guys... After about 8 beers they were saying all sorts of things... They had a small twin ADV made and ready to go but at the last min it was dropped and thrown aside. They said they had several platforms that were the same all scrapped do to market research.... :cry

The hot ticket now seems to be the 1200 class touring/ADV until that changes I wouldn't hold my breath
  20. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    No whining here OLD TIMER when you got this:

[​IMG]

But yeah, who wouldn't want 70 lbs shaved off?

And Honda's coming out with their new Africa Twin next year to stir up some trouble... didn't you hear... eh?