Hampster Ride - Dirt route the length of New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by FreeTheBeast, May 27, 2014.

1. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's the Big Dog Ride in Colorado. Vermont has its Puppy Dog Ride. There's also the Trans-Mass Trail. In a similar fashion, I decided to create a route the length of New Hampshire using predominantly dirt roads. It has been planned and reconnoitered. The dirt roads are all big bike friendly. There are no significant hero sections. Most of the roads are public. One or two sections are not maintained for Winter travel, but should not be much of a problem to pass. Some sections are more like two-track forest roads, especially up north. There is typically very little car traffic on these roads, but there is always the risk of oncoming vehicles and horses. There are blind corners in more remote sections. Always be careful out there.

I already knew most of the roads already in the southern portion, but hadn't ridden this route as a continuous ride. The route is now complete to the Canadian border. The very last section on East Inlet Road to Rhubarb Pond is sometimes gated. There are many dirt roads on various maps, depending on what is open and accessible for public traffic, so making your own detours may be necessary.

I want to keep the route on as much dirt biased as possible. It is intended for big bikes with camping gear that can navigate the entire state of New Hampshire on these rural roads. The scenery is fantastic. The car traffic is minimal and considerate to motorcycles. Some of the two-track roads were super fun with bumps and drop-offs that encourage a little twist of the throttle to go for a short flight. Please try to be considerate of the residents that live along these roads, but there are many sections without homes where a little more fun can be had.

The route through the entire state is complete, although always room for improvement. Over time, more waypoints for gas stations and other services will be added. For example, lunch at Foothills Cafe in Warner is excellent. Suggestions are welcomed on good roads to incorporate into the route or use as an option to the route (hero sections?). The whole route is approximately 338 miles. A good plan seems to be to ride north on Day 1 to the Littleton area, which takes about 8 hours. Day 2 ride the remaining 150 miles to Rhubarb Pond if the gate is open. Then backtrack the route or finding alternatives to head back home or beyond. Perhaps use this route for through-riders going on to Maine, Vermont, or Canada.

I started the route in Hollis for a south-central location. In addition to the Hollis Kitchen for breakfast, there is a gas station and doughnut/coffee shop at the traffic lights. All the amenities for filling up all the empty tanks.
    ________________________________________________________________________________

Here is the latest version of the GPX file:

Version 08 - 4 August 2020
    Folder: Dropbox Hampster Ride folder

GPX file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fc2iclo0qx0kfgq/Hampster_Ride_v08.GPX?dl=0

Caution: If Dropbox saves the file to your computer with .TXT file extension, rename the file - remove .TXT. The file should have the extension .GPX only. Then it should open with your mapping application.

New Hampshire State Parks Road Status info:
    See the PDF file for Updated Gate Status and Road Closures -
    http://www.nhstateparks.org//visit/state-parks/connecticut-lakes-headwaters-working-forest.aspx

Known current road closures (as of 4 August, 2020):

None.

Facebook group page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/nh.hampster.ride

Map on Google:
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1CTRWNl8r3fVd1aE6mmUw4xfu_hVzbH_F&usp=sharing

Connector from Trans-Mass Trail and Puppy Dog to Hampster:
    TMAToH Trail - Trans-MA To Hampster

__________________________________________________________________________________
    Here are some images from that initial scouting ride of the southern half of the Hampster RideĀ…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rhubarb Pond at the northernmost point of the ride -
    [​IMG]
  2. GirlRyder

GirlRyder Queen of Flugistan

Oddometer:
    I can't wait for you to finish!:clap:clap
  3. MWValley

MWValley Pro Motorcycle Gadget Guy (ret.)

Oddometer:
    Bravo, mon ami! Bravo. I will follow your progress with keen interest.

The Hampster Ride. I can't wait. I've just put new tires on the V-Strom, too.

Now I just need a day off!
  4. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap

I've been waiting for this! I've done the TMT and the PDR a few times and have been wanting to do more in NH! Can't wait to ride it!
  5. Squanto!

Squanto! Master of Silent Death Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! A while back another inmate did a similar route that started in Mason. Have you seen that route? I may have the file if you want it.
  6. DualGrampy

DualGrampy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been looking for something like this. I live one town over from Hollis. Please keep the thread informed.
  7. techgeek

techgeek International Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    care to share the route you have thus far? I would love to check it out and contribute if I can!

thanks!
  8. PWRCRZR

PWRCRZR Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    Very Cool Andrew...looking forward to riding it sometime. Thank you:clap
  9. NHBill

NHBill Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer:
    Great Idea!! :clap
  10. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll definitely share my tracks and maps with everyone. I just upgraded to Google Maps Pro so that it can handle more points and layers. Otherwise, Google Maps generally sucks. :1drink I can send my tracks for what I have so far, but it is not yet final.

Kamala - yes, please! If you've got that route, I'd like to see it. Thanks.

Here's a screen shot of the route. The yellow line is my latest route. Blue flags obscure much of the yellow line near the bottom of the state.

[​IMG]

Here's what I've got planned for the top section. Yet to be ridden and vetted. Yellow is what I've got in mind. The red line was my original plan. Not sure which one will work out best. The end points are (obviously) different. I don't know if the roads up there are gated/restricted.

[​IMG]
    thirsty 1, ThirtyOne and Motorad like this.
  11. captain crunch

captain crunch huckleberry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome
  12. bomberdave

bomberdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice
  13. Tslapper

Tslapper #!/usr/bin/perl -wT -I.

Oddometer:
    A most excellent endeavor!

<p>
  14. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent. Can't wait to check it out. I have sent you a pm with a link to a previous route.
  15. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm subscribed. Please share when you can. I've just started putting something together for Rhode Island dirt roads, but it I'm on the steep part of the learning curve with GPS and mapping routes, so I've been reduced to tracing roads in google maps (there must be a better way...).
  16. OhBoy

OhBoy Got Out

Oddometer:
    :clap
  17. Poacher Bob

Poacher Bob Persona non grata

Oddometer:
  18. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Nice work, Andrew! Sorry we were out of town Monday. Would have loved to tag along.

When's the next section ride?

:lurk
  19. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Drop me a PM with your email, and I'll send some tracks I have.
  20. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler

Oddometer:
    Andrew

The "Red" route goes through terrific scenic areas. Also a bit more remote.
    Would be well worth it if that could work out. Great job!!:clap:clap

Dan